Lactation consultant recommendations in MA - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 17 Old 01-23-2010, 09:34 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Good evening,
I am in desperate need of a lactation consultant in the MA area... preferably metrowest, but anywhere! Can you recommend a GREAT one? Also, what should I expect in terms of prices. Someone had recommended Debbie Paige and The Newborn Baby, but they charge $200 a visit. Is that standard? Thanks in advance!
#2 of 17 Old 01-24-2010, 04:55 PM

we used Lucia Jenkins in Malden (??) Mass. I believe she does do house calls, and I think we paid her a little less than what you're quoting, more like $150 or $175. Worth every penny and she spent a long time with us and we turned our baby loosing weight around quickly! Here's one phone # I found online 781-979-MILK. she also does the Melrose-Wakefield Baby Cafe

Mama to DD1 4/08fly-by-nursing1.gif and DD2 10/10 bfinfant.gifcd.gifcat.gif
#3 of 17 Old 01-24-2010, 06:04 PM

I have to agree about Debbie Paige But only see Debbie at The Newborn Baby.
I saw 2 other lactation consultants,plus nurse and midwife tried to help, before her.

After 20 minutes with Debbie I was able to get confidence finally, that my baby could eat and I was able to ditch nipple shields what a relief!! I only had to see her once.
She can give you a receipt to submit to your insurance.
#4 of 17 Old 01-24-2010, 10:16 PM

Congrats on having your baby!

Here is a thread with some recos

http://www.mothering.com/discussions....php?t=1185350

You can also ask your pediatricion or doctor to write a perscription for the LC and some insurance companies will reimburse for the visit...you just have to submit the bill with the RX.

Good luck with your issues! You probably know this but there is a bfing section here on MDC that you can talk to folks about what you are going through. I found it a useful resource when I had bfing issues with my early son.
#5 of 17 Old 01-25-2010, 10:59 AM

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 35 Post(s)
Congratulations on the birth of your little one!

Quote:
Originally Posted by VTnurse View Post
Good evening,
I am in desperate need of a lactation consultant in the MA area... preferably metrowest, but anywhere! Can you recommend a GREAT one?
I recommend Terri Anthony. She's very good and will come to your home. Terri's number is 617.486.4005.

Quote:
Originally Posted by VTnurse View Post
Also, what should I expect in terms of prices. Someone had recommended Debbie Paige and The Newborn Baby, but they charge $200 a visit. Is that standard? Thanks in advance!
When I was looking the rates seemed to range from about $110 (for a consultant at an office) to about $225. I can't remember what Terri's exact rate was, but it was worth every penny.

I'm also going to send you a PM with some more information.

hh2.gif Head over to the Holiday Helper forum and be a part of this wonderful Mothering tradition! joy.gif

Wondering about Mothering in general? Check out Mothering's User Agreement! smile.gif

#6 of 17 Old 01-26-2010, 02:31 PM

I have heard great things about Michelle Stolow, but I never saw her myself. She is located in Maynard, and does home visits in many of the metrowest towns. I'm not sure about her rates. Her website is www.frombirth.com .

I've also heard good things about the Melrose-Wakefield Hospital Baby Cafe, and they offer free services. Here's the website: http://www.melrosewakefieldhospital....baby-cafe.html .

Also, have you tried LLL yet? Here's the website to find a leader in your area: http://www.llleus.org/state/Massachusetts.html .

Good luck. I hope you find the help you need!

SAHM to my sweet and lovely DD (7), my curious and fun DS1 (4), and my adventurous and cuddly DS2 (1)!

#7 of 17 Old 01-26-2010, 04:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EzzysMom View Post
we used Lucia Jenkins in Malden (??) Mass. I believe she does do house calls, and I think we paid her a little less than what you're quoting, more like $150 or $175. Worth every penny and she spent a long time with us and we turned our baby loosing weight around quickly! Here's one phone # I found online 781-979-MILK. she also does the Melrose-Wakefield Baby Cafe
: Lucia is great as is Sharon who does the baby cafe

:CLC,Doula :Mama to 2
#8 of 17 Old 01-26-2010, 08:54 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by SingingMama View Post
I have heard great things about Michelle Stolow, but I never saw her myself. She is located in Maynard, and does home visits in many of the metrowest towns. I'm not sure about her rates. Her website is www.frombirth.com .
!
yup. 2nd that.

Me.  With 1 spouse, 4 kids, 16 chickens, 74 matchbox cars, 968,562+ legos, a dishwasher waiting to be emptied, a washing machine waiting to be filled and a lost cup of tea in the house.

#9 of 17 Old 01-26-2011, 02:53 PM

I wish could agree with Michelle Stolow's recommendation. I used her for one session and I didn't get any assistance with technique, only a plan on how much child needed to eat to sustain her weight. I figured she would call to check in and see how things were going, but she never once called. Looking back, the best support was from my hospital consultants, so unfortunately, I don't have anyone I can recommend.

#10 of 17 Old 01-26-2011, 04:32 PM

I don't know if you're willing to drive a bit, but South Shore Hospital has a drop-in breastfeeding support group daily.  Check their website, but when I've been I think it's M-F from 1-2.  They have a nurse who is a really wonderful LC, and there are a lot of other very supportive mothers who go for advice, or just to hang out.

It might be worth it to hire a dedicated LC, but if you need help ASAP for this service you could show up tomorrow.  I've gone with problems with both my older children, and the LC is really knowledgable and helpful.

ETA: They used to have a whole page about it up on their website, but I can't find it anymore.  Which worries me, because I can't speak highly enough about this service: it was WONDERFUL.  But they do say they still offer it, and to call for more information.  http://www.southshorehospital.org/med_services/maternity/maternity_breastfd.htm

Trying to live a simple life in a messy house in a complicated world with : DH, DD (b. 07/07), DS (b. 02/09), and DD (b. 10/10)
#11 of 17 Old 01-27-2011, 06:58 AM

A couple of the Isis locations have free drop-in sessions, too.  I found them very helpful!

DD 2/28/10
#12 of 17 Old 01-27-2011, 04:21 PM

I work with Lucia and Sharon with Baby Cafe (both are great LCs) and I facilitate the second Baby Cafe Tuesday nights in Malden MA with Lucia Jenkins from 5-7pm (I'm there every week, Lucia is there 1st and 3rd tuesdays). The address is 239 Main St Malden MA and it's in the WIC office (although open to the public).  This group is still very small and most nights we're able to work one on one.  Baby cafe is a free service to any breastfeeding mother.  The Melrose Cafe is Wednesday 6-8pm and Friday 10am-12pm and is held at the church of the nazarene on 2 Short St.  I am not a Lactation consultant but I am a lactation counselor.  Check with your local hospital for LCs too.  Before I met Lucia I worked with Janice Palmer (Who is also wonderful BTW) at Winchester Hospital (they also have an outpatient lactation group ) and Wincherster charged me $75 an hour, but actually  my insurance picked up the tab and It was a $20 copay :).  The same may be true for your local area outpatient  LC. 

Lucia , Poly )O( Lactation Counseling mama lady.gifvbac.gifto 5 yo Goobersuperhero.gif and 3 1/2 yo MZ twins twins.gif Peanut and Sweetpea and 1yo Pumpkinbabyf.gif mmm placenta.gif
#13 of 17 Old 01-27-2011, 06:16 PM

I saw a hospital -based IBCLC (on the North Shore at Beverly Hospital, so probably too far for you) and they were able to bill my insurance company by putting the visit in under my DD, so you might try that.

#14 of 17 Old 02-07-2011, 03:52 PM

Debbie Paige is the reason my 18 month old and I made it through those first few terrible months, so I am biased.  *But*  I just wanted to add that at least when I saw her, that $200 fee is just what she charges for a first visit, where she spends 2+ hours with you.  I believe follow up visits are less. 

#15 of 17 Old 02-08-2011, 05:32 AM

I would highly recommend Sherry Spacco.  She runs the Breastfeeding clinic at Norwood Hospital.  You can call her directly at 781-278-6413.  Leave a message and she will get back to you quickly.  Today Tuesday 2/8 she is in the Norwood office.  She also runs a free breastfeeding group at Newton Wellesley Hospital on Thursdays at 1pm. 

Best Wishes,

Alexis

#16 of 17 Old 02-09-2011, 06:38 PM

SHERRY SPACCO all the way!  fantastic. she works out of Newton Wellesley and Norwood Hospital and has free drop in group sessions tues and thursdays.

amazing, caring, gentle, available on wknds too!

g'luck!

#17 of 17 Old 10-10-2013, 11:42 AM

For your next baby, you should try Jennifer Fellows @ Milk n' Cookiewww.jenniferfellows.com.  She is a IBCLC, ultrasound sonographer, CPR instructor, has worked in Ob and with babies for a long time!  Plus she does home visits!

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page