Desperately Want VBAC in July - Help! - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 37 Old 01-26-2010, 11:24 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I have delivered both of my children at Tobey hospital, one emergency c-section, one VBAC in 2007, awesome, amazing, perfect. Now that VBACs are banned, I am just hoping that something will change by July. In the likely event that it doesn't, I am at a loss. My insurance only covers births in MA, so I am confined to this state, and the c-section rates just are not good around here. I feel like I will end up having to leave my small town hospital just to drive much too far to a hospital where it is basically predetermined that I will end up with a c-section. South Shore Hospital had a c-section rate of 44% in 2007, and I can only imagine that this # has gone up since then, the way things are these days.

Does anyone know anything about Jordan in Plymouth? I would love to know if anyone has had a positive VBAC experience there. Is anyone familiar with the midwives at Pilgrim Shore OB/GYN - Katie Parsons and Leslie Warren? I am just going to stick with Louise as long as possible and hold out hope, but, well, the system is what it is. Anyone know of any loopholes to these bans? I just want to have my little natural birth in my little town. Is that so much to ask? If I end up on an operating table I will feel so violated. This whole VBAC thing is very disturbing. Any advice, info, etc. would be much appreciated!
#2 of 37 Old 01-26-2010, 12:30 PM

Is a homebirth an option for you? If not, I've heard of women going to the hospital ready to push so there's no time for a c-section. Of course that'd only work if you have a short second stage of labor, and you can stand the car ride!

Crafty Mama to 5 year old DD and 1 year old DS.
#3 of 37 Old 01-26-2010, 03:44 PM - Thread Starter

Not so sure about homebirth, as it is very expensive and my emergency c-section was a situation where if I had not been at the hospital...well, it would have been bad. A 1% thing, but still...

Can a hospital that bans VBACS really FORCE you to have a c-section if you come in and you are not ready to push? It is my understanding that they cannot force you to have major surgery...now, with the "de facto ban" one is able to simply sign a wiaver...I don't understand, and would love it if anyone could explain it to me, why I couldn't just do the same thing even with the ban. I will sign any and all documents saying that I will not sue!
#4 of 37 Old 01-26-2010, 04:20 PM

#5 of 37 Old 01-26-2010, 04:41 PM - Thread Starter

I know, it's all very tricky and slippery and frustrating. I will just have to have faith that one way or another it will work out.
#6 of 37 Old 01-26-2010, 04:44 PM

#7 of 37 Old 01-26-2010, 06:20 PM

I would talk to Louise and see what she thinks. From what I understand, they did crack down and her job is on the line if she continues to offer VBAC's despite the ban.

I can really commiserate as I am in the same boat. Jordan hospital will not do a VBAC now either. Their policy changed at the beginning of the year, leaving me scrambling to find another provider. My insurance won't cover anything out of MA; I even filed an out of network claim and was denied. I had a VBAC at Jordan 3 years ago and while it was successful, it was far from an ideal experience, so I'm not exactly heart-broken about not going there. I believe their c-section rates are right behind South Shore's. And that is where I am having to go. I'm not thrilled about it, but I have run out of options aside from Cape Cod Hospital in Hyannis, and I cannot find any information about the hospital, midwives, or staff at CCH. At least at South Shore, I have found several mom's and a doula who have had positive experiences with South Shore Midwifery.

Best of luck. It really is frustrating. There is an ICAN meeting at the Roche Bros in Quincy on Wed night (Jan 27). I'm going to try to get up there myself, but it is an hour drive and I am really start to drag lately (I'm at 34 weeks). We really need a support network along the south coast. The options here are simply non-existent if you cannot have a homebirth.

~Robyn mama to
James, Sean, Christopher, and Michael~

#8 of 37 Old 01-26-2010, 07:27 PM - Thread Starter

I have had many conversations with Louise about all of this - her hands are tied by the new policy, as are the doctors' - so unless something were to change (in my dreams), I have to go somewhere else. It's pretty vlear cut - VBACs are banned, and the docs and midwives are not allowed to support them. No grey area. Very sad, but it is where things stand for now. My timing is just bad! Had I gotten pregnant a little sooner I could have had a VBAC at Tobey!

If anything, it helps to talk about this with like-minded women and to prepare myself for the inevitable (not necessarily a c-section, but a birth far away from home, unless I get the courage to go for a homebirth).

Well, thanks for all of your comments!
#9 of 37 Old 01-26-2010, 07:33 PM

Were VBAC's banned only at Tobey? This is the first I've heard of it. I just had a VBAC, but it was a home birth.

Mom to DS1 (8/07 c/s) & DS2 (11/09 HBAC)
#10 of 37 Old 01-26-2010, 08:08 PM - Thread Starter

VBACs were banned at all three Southcoast hospitals (St. Luke's and Charlton as well)...and I think I am hearing that Jordan might have banned them as well. Great!
#11 of 37 Old 01-26-2010, 08:09 PM - Thread Starter

bananacake - can I ask who you used for your homebirth? Are you located in MA?
#12 of 37 Old 01-26-2010, 08:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by livelovelaugh View Post
VBACs were banned at all three Southcoast hospitals (St. Luke's and Charlton as well)...and I think I am hearing that Jordan might have banned them as well. Great!
They did. As of January. There really aren't options around here for a VBAC hospital birth

Monther of Riley (11), Andrew (4) and Victoria (7 months)
#13 of 37 Old 01-26-2010, 08:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by livelovelaugh View Post
bananacake - can I ask who you used for your homebirth? Are you located in MA?
My MW just moved to Africa, unfortunately! But if you want to PM me, I can send you the link to the MW's she's now recommending.

Mom to DS1 (8/07 c/s) & DS2 (11/09 HBAC)
#14 of 37 Old 01-26-2010, 09:00 PM

This is what I would do if I was in your situation. That situation being VBAC banned, having an OB who's hands are tied on that, and not wanting/able to HBAC.

I would hire a VERY experienced Doula. Look into ICAN and ask them for some references. Maybe even a Doula who is a MW apprentice, who can check heart tones and dilatation and such. Or a Montrice. Then, I would labor at home as long as possible. I mean, till feeling pushy, or fully dilated. You can learn to check your own cervix, and you could just do this if you wanted. You will have the support and knowledge there from another person, then upon the end of labor, i'd go to the hospital. And then I'd labor in the parking lot if I had to till I knew it would be only minutes from birth. Maybe just before crowing, or once the baby is fully descended. Then, I'd go in to the ER/Maternity ward and have my baby vaginally. What are they going to do, cut you open for a cs while the baby is crowning? Yeah right, I'd like to see them try to do that to ANY mom, let a long a well knowledged one.

That's just me. Either way, laboring in of hospital or out, I'd hire a Doula, she will help you with phrases like "I do not consent to that" "I would like a moment to think that over" "I would like a moment to pray". She will help you be in control of your birth and be your own advocate and have the birth you want.

Happy Birthing!
#15 of 37 Old 01-26-2010, 10:04 PM - Thread Starter

Thank you - that was a very inspiring post! One of my best friends has offered to provide doula support (she is not a doula, but has birthed three babies at home and is in the birth field), and maybe if I had her and a very experienced doula I could feel confident about doing that. I clearly have a lot to think about. But it definitely helps to hear ideas and to feel supported. I was so empowered by my natural VBAC, to have that taken away from me this time around would be devastating.
Thanks!!
#16 of 37 Old 01-26-2010, 11:19 PM

Hugs to you! I am guessing your personal appeals and the board meeting didn't work out?

I think you have to decide to surprise the hospital and show up pushing. You can do this by hanging around the hospital in transition so you don't have to rush and have a car birth by accident. If you do this know that you may give birth in the ER or if you get sent upstairs you may very likely get the doc on call. Louise can not take patients from the ER. You can totally claim you were going to go to a VBAC friendly hospital but the birth went too fast so you came to the closest...this would keep the docs from getting in trouble and would just be more convenient for you...but your birth would not be about getting the emotional support you would need from the hospital/Louise, it would be about just showing up to birth.

Or, decide to go up to the Mt. Auburn Midwives at Mt. Auburn, or Women's Health Associates at Newton Wellesly...great supportive VBAC options and statisics.

Or, really hunker down and look into homebirth as a serious option, I mean really looking into homebirth, knowing that if you needed hospital care you would go there if needed. You know I would be happy to meet with you and your man...then you can really make an informed choice about homebirth. These exploratory appointments are given free by all us midwives. If your issue happened at home you would have gone to Tobey and the same would have been done, just because you birth at home does not mean you wouldn't get the emergency care you needed. Finding out about hb and what we do during emergencies and transport and how we monitor may make you better informed to make a decision to hb or rule it out for you. It really is a beautiful transformative thing. Have you seen the Business of Being Born?

Tobey is not going to change anytime soon, until ACOG changes their policy, and I doubt that will ever happen until there is serious torte reform in this country. Or, someone really spearheads a movement that involves not only VBACers but women's rights groups (you can find out some good info from ICAN and what they have done in NJ).

I really feel for you sooooo soooo much, and I am so angry, it is all so stupid, but there are many things in this country that make me want to emigrate...

Good luck!
#17 of 37 Old 01-26-2010, 11:32 PM - Thread Starter

Paige! So good to hear from you. You know, I really don't think I could just show up at the hospital in transition or ready to push...to me it seems as though the stress and unknown of all of that would make for a terrible birthing experience, and the last thing I want to do is make things complicated for Louise or the docs, etc. It's tricky enough as it is for everybody involved, so I need to think seriously about what my other options are. I don't like the looks of the c-section rates at South Shore Hospital (where I would be referred as a VBAC patient), and you are probably right, my options are either go to Cambridge or Newton Wellesley or look into homebirth...I am certainly intrigued by it and know that it would be an amazing experience if all went smoothly. I would love to talk at some point soon as I explore all of these options and figure out what is best. Thanks so much for your reply, and let's definitely get in touch.
#18 of 37 Old 01-26-2010, 11:38 PM

Oh, I'm so annoyed I can't even post an appropriate response.
Whatever you decide you have a lot of support for it. Keep us posted.
Jessica

Jessica..lady.gifintactlact.gif Falling in love all over again..... 
Dhprivateeyes.gif, Joshua rolleyes.gif Rebeccagrouphug.gifand dog2.gif.    candle.gif for Laura
#19 of 37 Old 01-26-2010, 11:40 PM

I wouldn't let the South Shore c-section rates put you off. What's more important is your doctor's/midwife's personal c-section rates. They are the ones who call the shots when you're in labor, not the hospital. I birthed naturally with no problem because I had a good midwife, at Kent County Hospital which has a c-section rate of 50% some months. That surprised me when I found that out after my births, because I think my midwifery practice probably had a significantly lower percentage.

Christian SAHM & birth doula.
#20 of 37 Old 01-27-2010, 01:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lovebeingamomma View Post
I wouldn't let the South Shore c-section rates put you off. What's more important is your doctor's/midwife's personal c-section rates. They are the ones who call the shots when you're in labor, not the hospital. I birthed naturally with no problem because I had a good midwife, at Kent County Hospital which has a c-section rate of 50% some months. That surprised me when I found that out after my births, because I think my midwifery practice probably had a significantly lower percentage.
I agree with this thought. I vbaced in 2008 and am planning to do so again in June (looks like it will be in MA and not NC where I currently live). Since I have "proven" to myself and the medical establishment that I can birth a baby vaginally I'm much less worried by the stats of the hospital I go to this time around, but I think the OB/midwife support is key.

Best of luck to you!
#21 of 37 Old 01-27-2010, 12:43 PM

#22 of 37 Old 01-27-2010, 12:50 PM

I am using Nancy Wainer for my homebirth- she is AWESOME!!!

http://birthdaymidwifery.com/

here is her about page, she has written several well known books on VBAC and apparently coined the phrase as well- http://birthdaymidwifery.com/nancy.html.

She is located in Needham though, which is 45 minutes from me and I'm in Raynham. You only go once a month at the beginning though, so it might be doable for you.

I really don't know what other midwives charge, but she is not cheap. However, she hasn't had a single transfer in 2 years- except for one recent post birth transfer after a placenta did not deliver after 4 hours of trying. The mom went to the hospital and was let go with baby several hours later. Apparently Brigham and Women's in Boston is very good to work with in that aspect.

LMK if you have any specific questions. She is about to go on vacation for a few weeks, just to let you know.
#23 of 37 Old 01-27-2010, 01:56 PM - Thread Starter

Cheryl33 - I just sent you a personal message!
#24 of 37 Old 01-27-2010, 05:52 PM

Quote:
Can I just ask why Louise hasn't left Tobey for a place where she can actually do what she's trained to do? I'm kinda bothered that such a VBAC friendly provider who is well known in the area would tolerate working at a hospital with a VBAC ban. I know if I were a CNM, I just couldn't do it. I'd either go rogue or go elsewhere.
Most hospitals have vbac bans-- plus Louise has ties to the area and might not want to have to move. The vbac issue is obviously a low point, but she's done a great deal of work to cultivate a great birth culture in one area.

Jessica

Dhprivateeyes.gif, Joshua rolleyes.gif Rebeccagrouphug.gifand dog2.gif.    candle.gif for Laura
#25 of 37 Old 01-27-2010, 05:56 PM

#26 of 37 Old 01-27-2010, 07:00 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoestoShow View Post
Can I just ask why Louise hasn't left Tobey for a place where she can actually do what she's trained to do? I'm kinda bothered that such a VBAC friendly provider who is well known in the area would tolerate working at a hospital with a VBAC ban. I know if I were a CNM, I just couldn't do it. I'd either go rogue or go elsewhere.
It is BECAUSE of Louise that the c-section rate is so low at Tobey. She is doing exactly what she was trained to do, and then some. This area is so fortunate to have her here, and she is beyond committed to making birth a positive experience for the women here. The insurance companies are the ones driving all of this policy surrounding the VBACs, and navigating around that is not easy for anyone - Dr.'s midwives, or patients. Louise is exactly where she should be, doing exactly what she should!
#27 of 37 Old 01-27-2010, 07:03 PM

We just need to clone her. Of course, I love our homebirth midwives too (-;

#28 of 37 Old 02-16-2010, 02:58 PM

i just gave birth naturally (vbac) on feb 4th at south shore hospital!! i use south shore midwifery and my midwife's name is esther hausman. i would highly recommend her to anyone. she's extremely supportive, and has a very calming presence and knows how to lighten the mood with humor. i'd say she's the most crunchy midwife over at south shore midwifery (they have 3 offices, hanover, weymouth, and brockton) as a matter of fact, she even helped me get my placenta (i did placenta encapsulation myself)

single mama of very intelligent & spirited 4yr old twins and another little girl born 02/04/10, 8lbs8oz *successful* all natural VBAC, 2.5 hour labor!!
#29 of 37 Old 02-17-2010, 11:09 AM

I went with South Shore Midwifery with my 2nd dd. While I ended up with a c-section (medical reasons, nothing to do with the midwife) I have to say I loved the midwives there. They were very caring and listened to my concerns and what I wanted.
However the care at South Shore hospital was another matter all together.
Good luck!
#30 of 37 Old 02-18-2010, 11:44 AM

I'd second the recommendation of South Shore Midwifery-- their midwives catch babies at South Shore Hospital, which still allows VBACs. I'm still leery of the hospital's c/s rate, but the SSM providers are wonderfully pro-VBAC, and operate within a midwifery model of care. Esther, in particular, is terrific (and she teaches Birthing From Within classes, which I believe are tailor-made for VBAC mamas).

I had my one OB consult to sign my informed consent paperwork last week. When I explained that I didn't want continuous monitoring, an IV, or to be forced into a c/s for postdates, he reacted by saying, "well, none of those interventions make sense-- they're not borne out in medical research, and we don't expect you to use them unless there's a problem". I was so gratified to finally meet an OB who gets it.

It might be worth at least scheduling an informational interview to find out their policies and to discuss your concerns.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page