#1 of 28 Old 02-22-2010, 04:25 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

#2 of 28 Old 02-22-2010, 05:05 PM

We see Dr. Stokes in Westerly and I can't say enough good things about him! The kids all adore him and he is wonderfully warm and compassionate with them. He always answers all my questions and isn't too quick to prescribe antibiotics or interfere with things if they are going well. He was 100% supportive of my recent homebirth and is very supportive and respectful of our vaccine choices. I am really so glad that I found him!

Dr. Russell Stokes and he is on Beach St. in Westerly. (401) 596-3416

I hope you find someone that you really like!

Beth )O( Homeschooling Mama to blahblah.gif DS (7) luxlove.gif DD (5) and sleepytime.gif DS (1) & #4 on the way in October!!! love.gif
 homebirth.jpgecbaby2.giffemalesling.GIFbf.jpgsewmachine.gifrainbow1284.gifnovaxnoIRC.gifphotosmile2.gif

#3 of 28 Old 02-22-2010, 06:25 PM

my kids see Michelle Mattieu South County Ped, they love her, she is very respectful of all our parenting choices...and always comes in with a smile

Christian SAHM & birth doula.
#4 of 28 Old 02-22-2010, 06:50 PM

You might want to check out Dr. K. since he is so close. He is a homeopath and a pedi. He does regular pedi apts and separate homeopathic constitutionals. So this means if you express to him that you are interested in using homeopaths then he will discuss in apt, otherwise not. I have found that he is not an alarmist (doesn't jump tp abx for any ol' reason) and will take time to discuss issues with you and never makes you feel bad just because you may have different ideas...and bonus, most people that seem him do alt vac schedules or none at all and are more natural family parenting types. When we were talking about vaccines I gave him a copy of the Dr. Sears' The Vaccine Book and he read it and gave it back to me.

Good luck with your decisions! Sorry to hear you had a lousy appointment!
#5 of 28 Old 02-22-2010, 08:33 PM

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 35 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sage Green View Post
I am looking for a new Pediatrician in RI. I just
came home from a rotten appointment, just not feeling taken care of.
I am tired of being asked if I have any questions by our current Dr., who then just glosses over answers and just isn't thorough
I just don't feel like they're being taken care of and I don't feel respected as a parent.
I'm not in RI, so I don't have any recommendations, but wanted to offer some and encouragement.

I had a terrible experience with my daughter's first pediatrician (which included many of the thing you mentioned) and switched pediatricians when my daughter was a week old. I had a moment of hesitation before I did, but then gave myself a little pep talk and made the switch. And I've been so glad every since that I did!

I hope you find someone excellent.

hh2.gif Head over to the Holiday Helper forum and be a part of this wonderful Mothering tradition! joy.gif

Wondering about Mothering in general? Check out Mothering's User Agreement! smile.gif

#6 of 28 Old 02-22-2010, 09:51 PM

We see Dr. John Finigan at Waterman Peds in East Providence, right on Seekonk line.
We love him, he talks to the kids, not to us, and he is always ready with a big smile.
We delay vax, and he has never given us a prob. at all, and I know families that see him who non vax.

Me and Dh partners.gif, Dd1bouncy.gif  Dd2dust.gif,Ds1joy.gif, 2flowerkitty.gif, 2hamster.jpgand lots of goldfish.gif

#7 of 28 Old 02-22-2010, 09:52 PM

Oh, their number is 401 421 6481

Me and Dh partners.gif, Dd1bouncy.gif  Dd2dust.gif,Ds1joy.gif, 2flowerkitty.gif, 2hamster.jpgand lots of goldfish.gif

#8 of 28 Old 02-22-2010, 09:59 PM
2xy

We see Dr. Joseph Singer at Riverside Pediatrics. He is really kind, down-to-earth, and easy to talk to.

I have never seen Dr. Kupperberg, but have friends who use him. They think highly of him as a practitioner, but I've heard them say that he's very serious and has no sense of humor. I don't know if that's important to you.
#9 of 28 Old 02-23-2010, 10:49 AM

I have two recommendations, both on the East Side of Providence. Dr. John McGonigle (401-447-2464) is a great combination of homeopathic and "traditional" doctor. Really warm and friendly (has two kids of his own, I think), and very open to listening and explaining. Our first appointment he spent 45 minutes just talking us through the flu vaccine choices (we opted not to vaccinate, and he was totally fine with that ... gave us a fish oil, multi-vitamin regimen to supplement our fastidious hand washing!). Another option, if you want to go WAY more traditional (my husband prefers shiny hospital tools and such), is East Side Pediatrics (401-383-4411). We met with Dr. Farb and she could not have been more nice. She didn't push on the flu vaccine and had no problem with me nursing my 3+YO ... so I think she's pretty open. Anyway ... sorry your experience was so crappy. There are a lot of great, supportive doctors in the area, so I'm sure you'll find one that "fits." Good luck!
#10 of 28 Old 02-23-2010, 10:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2xy View Post
I have never seen Dr. Kupperberg, but have friends who use him. They think highly of him as a practitioner, but I've heard them say that he's very serious and has no sense of humor. I don't know if that's important to you.
I have heard others say this before, but I couldn't disagree more! I found him to be a bit reserved at first, but I honestly think he's just shy. He is brilliant with kids, my DD loves him, and seeing him interact with her as a newborn sold me on the 40 minute drive. And I second what Paige mentioned - while he practices homeopathy, he is board-certified in pediatrics. Very low key, doesn't get worked up about the small stuff, and has never prescribed anything other than fluids and cuddles for my DD. My DH and were just talking about how we can't wait to see him interact with our new LO, due to arrive in early summer. He is seriously The Child Whisperer.

treehugger.gif
#11 of 28 Old 02-23-2010, 11:48 AM

We see Dr. Griffith at Pediatric Associates in East Providence. He's friendly, doesn't rush you out the door, is very ok with my selective/delayed vax schedule, pro extended bf'ing, and supportive of our vegan lifestyle.

Dr. McGonigle in Providence is also worth checking out.

Good luck!

S~ Peace loving, natural living, FuNkY vegan mama to Keiran bouncy.gif 23/Dec/06:
"Our lives begin to end the day we become silent about things that matter" ~~ MLK
#12 of 28 Old 02-23-2010, 01:13 PM

I would also recommend Dr. McGonigle and I've heard really good things about Dr. Kupperburg from a variety of people. Both are homeopaths but I would not be put off by that at all. It shouldn't affect the quality of their mds at all (if anything it should add to them) and I doubt either one would push homeopathy on you if you weren't interested.
Just fyi, Dr. McGonigle doesn't take all insurances.
We went through at least 4 drs. before we started seeing Dr. McGonigle and he is the only one who isn't stressful to visit, yay!
#13 of 28 Old 02-24-2010, 11:19 AM - Thread Starter

>

#14 of 28 Old 02-24-2010, 11:53 AM

Sage, sorry about your constipation issues with your lo. That is tough, they are in so much discomfort and there's not too much that can be done about it.
I would say just go for a consult w/ Dr. K , I did that before, instead of changing your insurance over, and see what you think, and what he advises to do about the constipation.
I would also check back w/ Dr. Finigan again too. See if he is accepting new patients.

Good luck, and keep us posted.

#15 of 28 Old 03-14-2010, 11:58 AM - Thread Starter

#16 of 28 Old 03-15-2010, 11:48 AM

You are dealing with a lot of different things. I am glad you found help with your chiropractitioner.

I also really like working with Dr.McGoniggle. He is a family doctor, very respectful, he explains everything, hears us out. He works with Dr.Ginzberg (spelling?) who is a pediatritian focusing more on acupuncture. He also is very friendly. The two consult each other, when there are questions and problems.

Mom since Oct'09. Wife to a loving husband. Expecting a little bean in May'12

#17 of 28 Old 03-17-2010, 07:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by laneysprout View Post
I have heard others say this before, but I couldn't disagree more! I found him to be a bit reserved at first, but I honestly think he's just shy. He is brilliant with kids, my DD loves him, and seeing him interact with her as a newborn sold me on the 40 minute drive. And I second what Paige mentioned - while he practices homeopathy, he is board-certified in pediatrics. Very low key, doesn't get worked up about the small stuff, and has never prescribed anything other than fluids and cuddles for my DD. My DH and were just talking about how we can't wait to see him interact with our new LO, due to arrive in early summer. He is seriously The Child Whisperer.

We love Dr. Kupperberg!!!

“He allowed himself to be swayed by his conviction that human beings are not born once and for all on the day their mothers give birth to them, but that life obliges them over and over again to give birth to themselves.” 

- Gabriel García Márquez

#18 of 28 Old 10-27-2010, 11:16 PM
jdc

Sage, did you find a new pediatrician? I am having the same problem right now... not feeling heard or respected by our current pediatrician.  I would be interested to hear how your search went and where you landed...

UPDATE:  After my twins were born in 2011, we switched to Dr. Nassin at Memorial Hospital Pediatric Care Center.  She and the clinic are AMAZING.  We are very very happy there.

follow my blog at: www.multiplerealitiesblog.com

shop my natural + organic items for children (and their grown-ups) at: www.etsy.com/shop/dearlizacreations

#19 of 28 Old 10-27-2010, 11:27 PM - Thread Starter

#20 of 28 Old 10-28-2010, 03:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShadowMoon View Post
We see Dr. Griffith at Pediatric Associates in East Providence. He's friendly, doesn't rush you out the door, is very ok with my selective/delayed vax schedule, pro extended bf'ing, and supportive of our vegan lifestyle.

Dr. McGonigle in Providence is also worth checking out.

Good luck!

We see him as well! I really like him a lot. He has been pretty supportive our or vax decisions but doesn't seem to be overly into the ap thing...overall though I think he's wonderful! My son is almost 7 months and for his first wbv he was asking me how breastfeeding was going...then he went on to ask me how my nipples were- are they inverted or stick out okay? He kind of pointed his pointer fingers out to symbolize nipples when he asked me that. I was trying to so hard not to laugh. Ohh man, will never forget that, haha! I do really recommend him to anyone. Very thorough and repectful of our decisions.

I'm curious about this Dr. K though...he sounds great! Where is his office located and does anyone have his number? I'm curious to meet with him. Sorry if this is already in the posts, I don't have time to read through them right now :/

femalesling.GIFfamilybed1.gif crafty Mama to Maxwell, born April 5, 2010 and partner & best friend to Dan <3

#21 of 28 Old 10-29-2010, 12:33 AM

Dr. McGonigle has saved my nipples.

And he is totally into attachment parenting, carrying babies, co-sleeping, breastfeeding, not letting them cry. He's been very understanding of our choices. And our little guy likes him too

Mom since Oct'09. Wife to a loving husband. Expecting a little bean in May'12

#22 of 28 Old 12-01-2010, 01:17 PM

We are very happy with Dr. Staraceiwicz at PRIMA Pediatrics in Cumberland.  She is ok with delayed/selective vax (I don't know how responsive she'd be to no vax though), is very anti-circ, pro-breastfeeding and most general AP stuff.  More AP-lite than some of the others mentioned here, but the office is wonderful.  They do sick visits 7 days a week, and Dr. Star has actually taken the time to call us after sick visits to check on David. 

www.primapediatrics.com

#23 of 28 Old 10-22-2012, 12:31 PM

Hi,

Dr. K from what practice? I am currently looking for a pediatrician. I live in Barrington, RI. I like that you mentioned that he doesn't push vacinations.

#24 of 28 Old 10-22-2012, 12:37 PM

sorry for the double post- I thought it didnt go through! :)

#25 of 28 Old 10-22-2012, 12:38 PM

Hi,

Dr. K from what practice? I am currently looking for a pediatrician. I live in Barrington, RI. I like that you mentioned that he doesn't push vacinations.

#26 of 28 Old 10-22-2012, 12:38 PM

Hi,

#27 of 28 Old 10-25-2012, 06:47 AM

Dr Kupperburg is really great. We started seeing him over a year ago.  He is in Foster.  I didn't really care for him much when I first met with him before changing drs. but I read so many reviews of people saying how much they liked him and how much their kids liked him so we gave him a chance and I think I just had a bad first meeting.  If Foster is not too far for you to go then you should meet with him and see what you think. I have also switched to Dr Kupperburg as my primary care dr.  

#28 of 28 Old 11-30-2012, 04:30 AM

Dr Kupperberg is in Foster, RI....54 Howard Hill Rd. 401 397 4638

We have used him for 13 years will all of our 6 children....my husband and I both use him for a primary care as well.

laura, dh Brian, ds Rory 14, dd Ellie 13, ds Caelan 11, ds Seamus 9, ds Finn 7 and Penelope 2 !!!!

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page