Used Childrens Clothing in RI??? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 15 Old 02-25-2010, 12:15 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Hi everyone!
I was hoping that some of you may have found some good used childrens clothing stores in Rhode Island. I have a baby girl and it's just so hard to justify new when she will only be in the clothing for such a short time!
I heard about Just Ducky in Bristol, but I am in Warwick, so that is a ways. Any other suggestions?
Thank you!
#2 of 15 Old 02-25-2010, 12:20 PM

The Children's Cottage in Wakefield. Small consignment shop, very cute.

Christian SAHM & birth doula.
#3 of 15 Old 02-25-2010, 12:37 PM

Lots of people rave about Love Bugs on Hope Street in Providence. It's nice, but, IMO, a little pricey sometimes. We're big fans of the Savers in East Providence. They have a great selection of kids clothing, and are very reasonably priced. And we've found some very high-end stuff there too, for pennies!

edited to add- There is also a Savers in Warwick, so that should be close to you!

A, partner to J, mama to O, now with a new username!

Building queer family since 2008!

(and oh, did i mention we're having twins?!?)

#4 of 15 Old 02-25-2010, 01:44 PM

There is Adored by Us out on the Johnston/Scituate line, which I've found to have good prices and a large selection. But I totally dig Savers. We recently bought Zutano pants and a Gap sweater with the tags still on for $3.00. It's totally hit or miss (isn't everywhere) but sometimes you hit big.
#5 of 15 Old 02-25-2010, 02:37 PM

my daughter is clothed almost entirely by the savers in warwick. i have found the stuff from the warwick savers to be nicer in general than the stuff from the e.p. savers. i think it's because all the east greenwich folks donate to the warwick savers. fewer college students make the trek down to warwick, too, so it's less picked over -- although that might not affect the baby items as much as, say, the housewares....

ariana, mama to beautiful redheaded girls (oct 07) and (nov 10)

#6 of 15 Old 02-25-2010, 02:41 PM

I second the recommendations for Lovebugs, Adored by Us, and Savers in Warwick.

There is a store called Simply Kids across from the Lowe's on Rte.5 and another called April Showers in West Warwick.

treehugger.gif
#7 of 15 Old 02-25-2010, 06:42 PM

There is a place on Main St. in West Warwick, April Consignment or April Showers maybe? I haven't been but I met the owner's mom at the $ tree. I actually like the Salvation Army store because they are DIRT CHEAP, you just have to search a little longer for the more quality items. There's one on Main St W. Warwick & another near the Warwick Mall on Rt 5

Co-sleeping is really wonderful when your child actually SLEEPS!! familybed1.gif
#8 of 15 Old 02-26-2010, 10:49 PM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 19 Post(s)
hey, i live in warwick too! My 3 daughters are clothed almost entirely from clothing from savers too. Just this week I found an organic cotton Hanna Andersson sweater for $2.99 and wiggle pants for $1.99. I was so psyched. I actualliy find a lot of hanna stuff there. Organic cotton makes me super super happy but I am on like a dental floss budget so unless it comes from ssavers, it doesn't come.

treehugger.gifjog.gifgreenthumb.gifknit.gifnamaste.gif

#9 of 15 Old 02-27-2010, 10:37 PM

I used to go to the old Adored By Us in Cranston when it was open there, and she always had great stuff.
I am excited to make the drive to the one in Johnston.

Me and Dh partners.gif, Dd1bouncy.gif  Dd2dust.gif,Ds1joy.gif, 2flowerkitty.gif, 2hamster.jpgand lots of goldfish.gif

#10 of 15 Old 02-28-2010, 03:06 PM

Lovebugs is pricier than a lot of second hand but pretty much everything there is nice so unless you're really picky you could go looking for girls 6-9 month clothes and buy everything you need. So it's a good alternative to new.
For example, I wanted a moses basket for this baby and bought one for $40 at tj maxx only to find it was super crappy and the sides flopped over. then i saw one at Lovebugs for $30 which sounds expensive for second hand but originally it probably sold for over $100.
And I'm pretty sure she doesn't use artificial scents and air sprays on her clothes which is a plus if you're allergic
And if you bring in stuff for her she gives you a really good cut.

I wish I could check out Savers more, it sounds cool too!
#11 of 15 Old 02-28-2010, 09:49 PM

just wanting to add Children's Orchard, I think it's called in Seekonk, MA. I have heard that it's a great shop.
There is also another great place on rt 44? towards Rehoboth, that I have heard good things about.
Sorry to be so vague.
I actually don't buy too many of my girls clothes. My MIL goes to a place on Saturdays at a church where she gets lots of the kids clothes at a great price.
She also shops the clearance racks too. She's a bargain shopper, just like me

Me and Dh partners.gif, Dd1bouncy.gif  Dd2dust.gif,Ds1joy.gif, 2flowerkitty.gif, 2hamster.jpgand lots of goldfish.gif

#12 of 15 Old 03-08-2010, 11:03 PM - Thread Starter

Thank you so much to everyone! I will absolutely check out Savers since so many people have had success there. And all the other suggestions are great! Much appreciated!
#13 of 15 Old 03-30-2010, 07:57 AM

A friend of mine just opened a new children's consignment store in Peace Dale, RI (on the Peace Dale rotary) called Little Red Hen. It's realy nice & she is the sweetest person. If you are in South County, definitely check it out. And then you can hit one of the yummy bakeries on the rotary, check out the vintage clothing shop & other interesting shops, take a walk on the bike path - it's a lovely little area.)

Happy mama of four Wild Things
"And now," cried Max "let the wild rumpus begin!"
#14 of 15 Old 04-01-2010, 12:51 AM

On Broad St in Cranston (across the Street from the library) they just opened a new store called Extravaganza Kids. It's small but seems to be nicely priced.
#15 of 15 Old 04-22-2010, 04:10 PM

There is a consignment sale this week: www.rikidsconsignment.com which takes place at the ImPossible Dream Playground in Warwick. The schedule is on the website (it's friday and saturday) - but I know they have over 75 consigners...should be good! And on Saturday a lot of things are half off Check it out!

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page