VBA2C in central MA - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 13 Old 03-12-2010, 03:14 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Hello. I'm about 12 weeks along and looking for a supportive Dr. in MA who will perform a VBA2C. I've been told flat out NO by my ob/gyn without even a consult or looking at my history. Her first words were we'll schedule a c-section since you've had two previous. I've had 1 section 8 years ago due to my son being breech, my second section was 7 years ago and elective because I was young and didn't know my options. This will be my last child and I'm hoping to experience the joys of a natural birth. I've been calling Dr's around the area and have had no luck of even getting a consult. My question, anyone from the area have any good recommendations for Dr's who perform VBA2C. I've spoken with dr's who will do it after 1 but not after two. I've also found 2 hospitals within 30 minutes of me that don't ban VBAC's so I was thinking it would be easier to find a Dr. at least willing to meet with me. Any suggestions in the MA area would be helpful. Thank You all!
#2 of 13 Old 03-14-2010, 02:16 PM

I am sorry I can't give you any referrals, but can offer my supprt. I am in a very similar situation, currently looking for someone to attend my vba2c.
Have you considered a midwife? From my research it seems a homebirth is a great way to go. You'll have a higher chance at vbac.

Good luck!
#3 of 13 Old 03-14-2010, 09:20 PM

Moving to Finding Your Tribe... hopefully someone will have a suggestion! Good luck and happy birthing!

Be pretty! Be practical! Be Pagan! Visit Pagan Hearth & Home!
 mama to lady.gif(4/05), hearts.gif(6/07vbac), diaper.gif(8/09vbac), and babygirl.gif (9/11vbac)

#4 of 13 Old 03-14-2010, 09:54 PM

I have heard that the midwives/OBs at Harvard Vanguard in Wellesley will do VBA2C at NWH. Also, I've heard that Dr. Beth Hardiman will at Mt. Auburn. Dr. Hardiman delivers all her own patients, so you'd have to call right away to get in for your due date.
#5 of 13 Old 03-14-2010, 10:07 PM

You may have to travel to a hospital that does them...talk to the practitioners recommended above, also Mt Auburn Midwives and contact International Cesarean Awareness Network...they will have some good ideas for you...and they are wonderful support if you can make it to a meeting.

It may be too that there are supportive practitioners in hospital out in Western MA too, which may be closer to you...again ask ICAN, and also ask Megan Hill, CPM. Her info is at www.massmidwives.org, and she may have a good idea about who might do that out there. Oh, and Joyce Kimball, CPM knows a lot about what is out there in metrowest/Worcester area so she may have a good idea about who does vbac2c out your way too. (She is also listed at the massmidewives website.)

It also might be worth your time to look into hb like the previous poster said, and you can interview midwives for free...so you could begin by asking Megan and her Partner Rebecca Beck, or Joyce...all wonderfully kind, compassionate and very professional women.

Good luck in your search and i hope you let us know how it all goes! And fwiw, it should not be this hard to have a normal birth, obstetrics in this country are wacky when it comes to sections and vbac!
#6 of 13 Old 03-15-2010, 08:36 AM - Thread Starter

I want to thank everyone for their support and encouragement. I'm in Fitchburg ma which is about 30 minutes from Worcester and Gardner. I'm going to continue my search today using all of the suggestions you've offered. I was able to get a consult with dr. Klein in shrewsbury but I'm not stopping there. Again, thank you all and I will definetly keep everyone updated on my progress.
#7 of 13 Old 03-15-2010, 11:12 AM

I was a patient of Dr. Klein for my VBAC last year and he was very supportive and open-minded. Hopefully you'll have the same experience. Best of luck!!!
#8 of 13 Old 03-15-2010, 12:22 PM

I used the Midwifery Care of Holyoke for my 2 VBACS. There is a dr in the labor and delivery center at all times if you are wanting a VBAC and she is extremely supportive of vbacs. The midwives and dr there are fantastic. holyoke may be to far for you but you could always get your pregnancy care at a center near you and then switch to holyoke as you get closer to delivery...good luck!!
#9 of 13 Old 03-15-2010, 02:04 PM

Have you checked the Fallon midwives who work at St. Vincents? I had a VBAC there, but I am not sure about the second one...
#10 of 13 Old 03-15-2010, 02:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pjsmom30 View Post
Have you checked the Fallon midwives who work at St. Vincents? I had a VBAC there, but I am not sure about the second one...
I have heard that the midwives are supportive of VBAC but I've also heard that they don't work 24/7 and are not on-call. You may want to verify this.
#11 of 13 Old 03-15-2010, 03:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beth F View Post
I have heard that the midwives are supportive of VBAC but I've also heard that they don't work 24/7 and are not on-call. You may want to verify this.
that is right, they work something like 8-6. But I was told I would still be able to have the VBAC if the shift changed and a doctor came on duty.
#12 of 13 Old 04-18-2010, 10:03 PM - Thread Starter

hello again to everyone who responded, after searching and consulting with Dr. Klein he is going to be my new obgyn. He looked at all my history and told me that if anyone is a good candidate, I am. He did put some restrictions on it, which scares me a bit, but I'm sure it's for the safety of me and my child. He's giving me until 41 weeks to go into labor and he says my labor must progress naturally on its own. He also told me that some things that may be common in a normal labor and delivery may actually cause him to ask for a c/s. That's really the part that makes me nervous, I don't want to have a c/s for something that was routine and normal but I also don't want to be stubborn. He said he couldn't make any promises but I'm definitely happy that he's willing to work with me. Thank you all for your support and suggestions, they all came in handy!
#13 of 13 Old 04-27-2010, 10:02 PM

One of the things that I found very helpful when I was trying for my VBA2C was to have a cesarean knowledgeable doula to talk with and be with us during labor. I used Jennifer Mason-Black (harvestmoonbirth.com) and I can't say enough good things about her. She has a wonderful calming way about her and she is very knowledgeable about VBAC.

Amanda, mama to my three giggling girls aged 12yrs, 7.5yrs and 3yrs.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page