camping! - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 13 Old 03-21-2010, 11:39 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
This warm weekend has me thinking about late spring and summer camping!!!

I thought I would start a thread to talk about camp sites in the area, camping tips, etc.

Anyone game?

This is probably obvious to anyone to uses the state park system in MA, but Nickerson State Park on the cape is awesome!

More later. I am excited to hear about others experiences.
#2 of 13 Old 03-22-2010, 04:06 PM

Great thread! I don't know if DH and I will be going this summer- we'll see how we get along with the babe and winging the whole cloth diapering thing first Every past summer since we started dating waaaay back, we've gone up to Greenfield State Park in Greenfield, NH (about an hour north of Townsend, MA.) It's mostly for tenters- no hookups for water or electricity, unless your camper is self-sufficient. Very kid friendly, and they have a pond with a nice clean beach. There are swings at the beach foir kids and you can rent canoes... not much else to do in town though. We love it there

Jen knit.gif crafty mama LLLactivist to DS1 (2010)bouncy.gif and DS2 (2012)blahblah.giffamilybed2.gif nursex2.gifribbonjigsaw.gif
#3 of 13 Old 03-22-2010, 08:59 PM - Thread Starter

My oldest son is a May baby too. We loved taking him camping towards the end of his first summer. He would just lie on the air mattress and look at the trees. He was also very easy to cart around in a sling.

So much easier then the next summer when he was on the move and very curious.

We cloth diapers, but used dispos for any trip more than 24 hours. Mostly because camping is dirty enough without worrying about rinsing diapers and hot stinky diapers in our hot stinky car. :-)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jelinifer View Post
Great thread! I don't know if DH and I will be going this summer- we'll see how we get along with the babe and winging the whole cloth diapering thing first Every past summer since we started dating waaaay back, we've gone up to Greenfield State Park in Greenfield, NH (about an hour north of Townsend, MA.) It's mostly for tenters- no hookups for water or electricity, unless your camper is self-sufficient. Very kid friendly, and they have a pond with a nice clean beach. There are swings at the beach foir kids and you can rent canoes... not much else to do in town though. We love it there
#4 of 13 Old 03-30-2010, 07:45 AM

Thanks for starting this thread! We are big campers, about a dozen trips a season. The hint of warm weather we've had has really got us starting to plan too. Around here we like Burlingame State Park in RI (beautiful place, we enjoy it most off season when it is quieter, it can get quite rowdy in the summer), Myles Standish State Park in Plymouth, Ma is really nice, Wells State Park in Ma is also a favorite (but the bugs are fierce there!). For private campgrounds, these are two of our favorites:

www.countrysidecampground.com in Ct.

www.saddlebackcampground.com in southern NH.

Both are very family friendly, clean, quiet, well run. Saddleback has a frog pond right in the center of the campground where the kids can catch frogs. Too fun.

Happy mama of four Wild Things
"And now," cried Max "let the wild rumpus begin!"
#5 of 13 Old 03-30-2010, 01:02 PM

Dh and I really want to do more camping. We never go on vacation and would love to start. Our kids love being outside too.
I'd love to hear more about camping on the Cape. I've heard you have to book early. We do tenting and prefer state park type camp grounds.
We're in Providence and have only ever camped at Burlingame which was fun but like a pp said crowded.
Any other recs for RI camping? I've heard you can go at East Beach.
#6 of 13 Old 04-01-2010, 01:28 PM

We loved Paine's Campground in South Wellfleet MA. close enough to P-town that there was plenty to do, but the campground was very family friendly and relatively inexpensive. It's NOT a luxurious campground - not a lot of amenities, but that's what we had been looking for... I'd highly recommend it.

Erika, mama to Sawyer 6/04 joy.gifand Gracie 7/10energy.gif  :, dw Amy:

treehugger.gifsaynovax.gifbfinfant.giffamilybed2.gifRainbow.gif

#7 of 13 Old 05-20-2010, 10:55 AM

We are tent campers... but I prefer modern facilities: hot showers & flush toilets. Nice quiet camprground where your neighbor is not right there. My kids are 14, 10, and 1. A place to swim is also a must.

Any suggestions?
#8 of 13 Old 05-20-2010, 01:17 PM

We are relatively new to camping (have only been a couple of times as a family, but I've been camping many times before having kids), so I can't say where to go, but I can recommend where NOT to go --- Wells State Park in MA. We planned on going last year for 5 days, but made it only 1 night and then checked into a hotel. The mosquitoes were so bad, I have never seen anything like it in my life. By the time we went to bed that first night, both of my kids had 40+ mosquito bites each. We used an herbal repellent, but put a heavy duty chemical one on the outside of the tent, had long sleeves & pants, but still ended up eaten alive. We went on a hike and had to run the whole trail because clouds of mosquitoes were chasing us -- it was like a bad tv movie where people get eaten by killer bugs.
#9 of 13 Old 05-20-2010, 01:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by o'smom View Post
I can recommend where NOT to go --- Wells State Park in MA. We planned on going last year for 5 days, but made it only 1 night and then checked into a hotel. The mosquitoes were so bad, I have never seen anything like it in my life. .
LOL! I had forgotten about that. Went there when I was 9 months pregnant with my first and got terribly bitten.

We like tent camping, but find it hard with a special needs child. We now do cabin camping. We really like Odetah Resort Camprgound in CT. The weekends can get busy - they have lots of activities - but during the week it is nice and quiet. They have a lake and a pool, mini-golf and free movies. And if you want.. the cafe will even bring you breakfast in the morning!
#10 of 13 Old 05-24-2010, 01:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MindfulBirth View Post
LOL! I had forgotten about that. Went there when I was 9 months pregnant with my first and got terribly bitten.

We like tent camping, but find it hard with a special needs child. We now do cabin camping. We really like Odetah Resort Camprgound in CT. The weekends can get busy - they have lots of activities - but during the week it is nice and quiet. They have a lake and a pool, mini-golf and free movies. And if you want.. the cafe will even bring you breakfast in the morning!
How are the bugs?? My daughter swells up if anything bites her.
#11 of 13 Old 05-24-2010, 02:01 PM

One great thing about this place:

www.saddlebackcampground.com

is that they have a big frog pond in the middle of the campground, all the sites are situated around it, and the frogs eat almost all of the bugs! Also, there is a dirt road that circles the pond, so kids can ride their bikes around it and you can see them almost the entire time. (There is one short stretch that is hidden behind the main building, but otherwise it's all visable.) We love this place!

Happy mama of four Wild Things
"And now," cried Max "let the wild rumpus begin!"
#12 of 13 Old 05-24-2010, 09:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mummamilk View Post
How are the bugs?? My daughter swells up if anything bites her.
They were fine... but ya know.. camping involves the out doors!
As I recall, we were more concerned about the spiders than mosquitos.
#13 of 13 Old 05-31-2010, 05:18 PM

We did our first camping trip with DS #1 when he was 7 weeks old.... cloth nappies and all. Friendly advice if you're going to try this- double or triple bag it!

My q. re camping is whether anyone can recommend a campground (state, private, what-have-you) in W. Mass that has good cell reception. While it would be lovely to be completely away from such things, I need my phone for work. Any ideas?

Michelle L'Esperance, Certified Professional Midwife ~ Warm Welcome Birth Services

Homebirth Midwife, Birth Doula, Postnatal Doula, Night Doula, and Doula Trainer

Northampton, Massachusetts

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page