Emerson Hospital in Concord - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 12 Old 04-05-2010, 05:19 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Has anyone given birth here? Would you care to share your stories?

Thank you in advance!

Amanda (25), married to the love of my life, Christopher. :Expecting our 1st November 23rd.
#2 of 12 Old 04-10-2010, 11:23 AM

Hey! Not to scare you, but my friend used to work at Emerson as an L&D nurse and left because of their horrible treatment of moms and babies, as well as really high unnecessary C- Section rates. Please PM me if you want any more info… But I would not EVER give birth there after hearing about their policies and politics!!!!
#3 of 12 Old 04-11-2010, 10:19 PM

I have not personally birthed here, but I have to say that everyone I know who has, has had a c-section. Purely anecdotal, for whatever that is worth. I live 2 towns over from there, but I drove into Cambridge and birthed with the midwives at Mount Auburn.
#4 of 12 Old 04-12-2010, 09:47 AM

I think Mt Auburn would be a great hospital to go to!
#5 of 12 Old 04-12-2010, 09:57 AM

It was a great birth, I was so happy with them
#6 of 12 Old 04-12-2010, 10:41 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
agree with PP. Emerson and my OB's attitude toward natural birth forced me to explore other options. I'm so happy that I did. Had a glorious homebirth instead.

~Kat
DS#1 (15), DS#2 (13), DS#3 (2):
#7 of 12 Old 04-13-2010, 04:30 PM

Gave birth there in January. Different OBs (even w/in same practice group) have different approaches, but the doc on call for my delivery was VERY hands off, left me alone w/DH and our young, fun, pro-natural birth nurse until the very end. No hassle about failure to progress despite taking 16 hrs to get from 4 to 10cm. I met 3 L&D nurses there who were awesome, one who was not so awesome. Postpartum nursing was less than impressive. A few things I was unhappy with but mostly my birth plan was respected. That said, I'll do it at home next time, now that I know I'm capable. Mostly just because I don't want to be in a strange place if I don't need to be, and goodness knows I can do w/o the car ride, ugh. PM me if you want more details. I recommend taking the hospital's hypnobirthing course even if you do not want to hypnobirth - it's taught by an excellent L&D nurse who will break it all down for you. Good luck!

grateful mama to DD1, born before the robins came, 2010.  excited to welcome a little man into the world in early February 2012! kid.gif

#8 of 12 Old 05-21-2010, 08:03 PM

I think it really depends on which group you choose at Emerson Hopsital. I had my two babies at Emerson Hospital with AFA OB/GYN and Dr. Balcomb delivered both of my babies exactly how I wanted her to deliver them....she was very patient with me and I had a wonderful experience....not to mention their recent renovations to the post-partum rooms...it was like staying in a hotel after the delivery of my second baby.....
#9 of 12 Old 05-21-2010, 09:34 PM

I was actually looking for this thread today...

My college roomate just had her daughter at Emerson, 100% unmedicated and with zero interventions. She was with the group mentioned above AFA OB/GYN and she had a doula present with her.

Pregnant and/or Breastfeeding since 2005
Mama to two girls: 5/06 and 3/09
#10 of 12 Old 05-24-2010, 08:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mommaflower View Post
I think it really depends on which group you choose at Emerson Hopsital. I had my two babies at Emerson Hospital with AFA OB/GYN and Dr. Balcomb delivered both of my babies exactly how I wanted her to deliver them....she was very patient with me and I had a wonderful experience....not to mention their recent renovations to the post-partum rooms...it was like staying in a hotel after the delivery of my second baby.....
Sherri & Dr Balcomb share on-call duty w/the Concord OBGYN group, don't they? So no guarantees she'd be there to deliver you. Unless I misunderstood their on-call rotation...

grateful mama to DD1, born before the robins came, 2010.  excited to welcome a little man into the world in early February 2012! kid.gif

#11 of 12 Old 06-09-2010, 11:25 AM

You're right that they share with Concord OBGYN but I was told Sherri/Dr. Balcomb deliver 80-90% of their patients. Have already discussed with Sherri that if baby is late, I want to wait until 42 weeks before induction and she is supportive, though they would like me to come in for non-stress tests, etc, if we get to that point. Also supportive of using prostaglandin, etc., before Pitocin or anything like that.
On our tour of the "Birth Center" they seemed very natural-birth friendly, even though I didn't tell them I was planning for a natural birth (things like, the nurses will have you up and walking the halls, etc.) I'd be happy to report back after my baby arrives sometime in July.
#12 of 12 Old 06-24-2010, 08:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mumofboyz View Post
agree with PP. Emerson and my OB's attitude toward natural birth forced me to explore other options. I'm so happy that I did. Had a glorious homebirth instead.
Was Dr. Kramer your ob? She drove me to homebirth as well. Who did you use?

Mom to DMI & Silly Apple

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page