Apartment Needed in RI - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 13 Old 04-17-2010, 09:53 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Looking for a nice 2 bdrm apt/home for rent in a nice area. Trick is, the rent has to be pretty low (max is $850 w/no utilities or up to $1050 including all utils).

Must have yard.

Ideally, I'd like it to be in a town that has a good public school system (elementary. Special needs child.)

Feel free to pm me for privacy.

Thank you!

Independent Consultant- Thirty One Gifts www.mythirtyone.com/ShopLiz

Origami Owl http://lizcioci.origamiowl.com

#2 of 13 Old 04-17-2010, 06:15 PM

You can look on narragansett times classifieds online, riliving.com...hopefully someone on here can help you on here because for what you're looking for you probably won't find it at that price unfortunately. I did rent a 2 bedroom a few years ago at 850, but it was a very old outdated apartment and had a shoebox yard.

Christian SAHM & birth doula.
#3 of 13 Old 04-18-2010, 12:59 AM

We live in a beautiful, lead-free two bedroom (with an extra study!) in Providence, and pay $800, so those things are out there. We live on Providence's west side, which we love (walking distance to cafes, restaurants, downtown, the park). My DD isn't school age, so we haven't dealt with that yet, but my impression is that Providence schools are not all that great. We do, however, have a lovely yard, a garden plot and compost, amazing neighbors, a great view, and a washer/dryer in our bathroom.

We're actually leaving this summer to move to DC. We have other friends tentatively interested in our place, but if they back out, I'd be happy to put you in touch with our landlords (awesome semi-crunchy parents who live in a cottage in the back). We're leaving in July or August.

A, partner to J, mama to O, now with a new username!

Building queer family since 2008!

(and oh, did i mention we're having twins?!?)

#4 of 13 Old 04-18-2010, 09:10 AM - Thread Starter

Angela- Yes, please let me know! I would need to give one month notice where I am, though.

You are right about Providence schools. However, they do have some good charter schools. (one if the reasons I'd love to live on the East Side.)

Is the West side in/near the Armory District? It's beautiful over there.

------
I'm also open to the following towns: Cranston (particularly Edgewood), East Providence, Warwick, Coventry, south county, Bristol, Glocester/Chepachet.

#5 of 13 Old 04-18-2010, 10:03 AM

I grew up in the Glocester/Chepachet area. My father and brother still live there and my mom works in the Foster/Glocester school system.

I don't personally know of any apartments or houses for rent, but know that they're out there and can be very affordable if you look around. Having actually gone through their school system, I have to say it's pretty decent for public school. I would actually be comfortable sending my son to it if I end up back in the area. I'll let you know if I hear of anything.

I currently live in East Providence, (in a very overpriced apartment complex ), but there are houses and tenements for rent all the time, around the price range your searching for. I don't know anything about the school system since I plan on moving soon, but I do like the town/city and it's close proximity to the East side of Prov.

Good luck in your search! I'll keep my eyes and ears open......

S~ Peace loving, natural living, FuNkY vegan mama to Keiran bouncy.gif 23/Dec/06:
"Our lives begin to end the day we become silent about things that matter" ~~ MLK
#6 of 13 Old 04-18-2010, 11:00 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShadowMoon View Post
I grew up in the Glocester/Chepachet area. ......
I lived there for awhile and went to Ponaganset. But, I don't know how it is now and how it is for special needs kids.

If I lived in East Providence (or near it), I'd try to go back to working at Ocean State Montessori. (and then hopefully enroll my son there.) But, that's dreaming big. heh heh.

#7 of 13 Old 04-18-2010, 02:15 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 10 Post(s)
. hoping you find something. I've been on the search for something similar for the last 2 years. another complicating factor, no job. NO ONE wants to rent to you.

treehugger.gifjog.gifgreenthumb.gifknit.gifnamaste.gif

#8 of 13 Old 04-18-2010, 02:44 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by justmama View Post
another complicating factor, no job. NO ONE wants to rent to you.
That's why I've kept my WAH job. It's something to put on the application. Although, it's not a full time job so I know what you mean.

#9 of 13 Old 04-18-2010, 06:20 PM

Just FYI, you can live anywhere in RI and apply to the charters. I think some of them pick mostly from providence or pawtucket but all accept some kids from all over.
I think the East Side has the best regular public schools- Varten and Martin Luther King jr. in Prov. (which is why we haven't moved until ds started K, but he did get into a charter) I've heard Kennedy is good too, but I'm not sure. It's a consideration worth taking seriously though. Ds has some special needs and I'm VERY happy with the way they dealt with it at the Charter school he goes too.
I hope you find a nice place!
#10 of 13 Old 04-18-2010, 06:24 PM - Thread Starter

I have an apt to view a place on Tuesday.

#11 of 13 Old 04-18-2010, 10:43 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaughterOfKali View Post
That's why I've kept my WAH job. It's something to put on the application. Although, it's not a full time job so I know what you mean.
oh that's a great idea. i never thought of doing that. yeah i'm a single mom on a fixed income of child support due to the insanely high costs of putting 3 little girls in daycare. so finding a rental with those same qualifications that you have on a fixed income is so so so hard. i hope that interview goes well for you. we currently pay $900 for a 2 bedroom house in Warwick with a nice large yard so it's not all bad. toll gate schools. I do see some places on Main Street in East Greenwich down the hill(which isn't sketchy like some people say. heck it's EG, how could it be? but lots of old architecture and nice little yards and quiet neighborhoods) and some in North Kingstown in Yorktown(those duplexes have gotten a LOT better than they used to be. mostly families now and not ghetto and scary). I'm 29 and grew up right outside that area in a nicer section and looked at some places in Yorktown int he last year or two and they have gotten really nice since when I was a kid. All these places are right around $850-950, some with heat included, especially in the hill and harbor places in EG. I have found them all on Craigslist. Of course they don't want to rent to me. . . . . . . . .but maybe they will like you better.

treehugger.gifjog.gifgreenthumb.gifknit.gifnamaste.gif

#12 of 13 Old 04-19-2010, 10:06 AM - Thread Starter

I don't want to live in EG. (personal reasons)

I'm going to try to stick with Edgewood, Bristol, East Providence, or the East Side.

#13 of 13 Old 04-19-2010, 11:32 AM - Thread Starter

The apt viewing for tomorrow had to be cancelled. So, back to looking.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page