Need a new OB - help! - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 8 Old 04-20-2010, 06:42 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I just found out I am PG with #3!! I am desperately looking for a midwife/OB in the New London/Groton area. There are NO Midwives at L&M (new London) anymore and my DH is dead set against a HB. I used to go to Thameside in Groton but I will NOT go back there again....horrible experience last time. And sadly, even with 5 OB's in the practice, I did not have one of the doctors on call for either of my kids birth. Ironically, I liked the doctors that did deliver my kids (Dr. Simpson and Dr. Watson) but I won't go to them either in fear that they won't be on call and one of the Thameside OB's will show up.

So...I have heard good things about Middlesex, but my DH thinks it's too far (35 minutes or so). L&M is 10 minutes.

HELP!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 8 Old 04-20-2010, 08:47 PM

Of course it depends on your comfort level, but I don't think 35 minutes is unreasonable if you find a care provider you really like.
I drove just over an hour to see the CNM I chose for my last pregnancy. I just felt it was worth it for good care & not something worth compromising on for the sake of convenience. Although it was a pain at times, I'll admit- getting caught in traffic on occasion and planning childcare or bringing them with me.
Is your husband worried about labor moving too quickly to get there on time? I think it's really unlikely that would happen.. 35 minutes is pretty close.
I'm from the area and don't have any good recommendations at all for Groton/New London/Norwich area. I'm planning to use a midwife group at Yale for my next birth-- which is about an hour away.
Wish I had more info for you. Maybe someone will come along with a great local recommendation
Congratulations on your pregnancy & good luck!

~e, wife to my sweet T , mama to my turtleman (12) , sunshine (9 ), and monkey (6)
#3 of 8 Old 04-20-2010, 09:30 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks! I just talked to him and he thinks it might be a good idea now (men ). I think he was thinking I would have to drive all that way for pre-natal appts. and that's not the case. There is an OB that I have heard good things about in Essex, which is only 15 Mins away.

My babies come quickly, but not THAT quickly! lol (both times I labored about 4 hours total). Middlesex has birthing tubs and they are super BF friendly etc....

Thanks!!
#4 of 8 Old 04-20-2010, 11:40 PM

I don't have experience with your area, but I choose to have my 2nd child at a hospital (Tobey in Wareham, MA) that was 35 minutes away with Jordan less than 10 minutes away. It was worth every single extra second and bump- even though I was NOT happy in the car.
I also hired a doula for my 2nd birth. My dh was lukewarm to that- but happy to support a few things since I was really pushing for homebirth. In the end he was very happy to have Erin with us. I had a negative experience with my first and really wanted the additional support. My husband just doesn't really know what to do during birth so I figured she's be there for what I needed and could help him out some too. Anyways, he recently commented in response to a silly list about how men can be heroes to their partner in labor "how can a man be a hero- hire a doula" I was so pleased to hear the turnaround. More to the point is that I was extremely reassured that I had an additional support person since I wasn't thrilled to be goign back to a hospital.
BTW even though my prenatal appts were 35 minutes away that was fine- I usually brought my son with me too. THe place that was 10 minutes away I'd have waits of 30-60 minutes. My midwife had short waits and the staff was great about informing of if there might be a delay- plus the atmosphere was just so much calmer (and my son was welcome both there and at the hospital). I immediatly knew the switch to my midwife was worth it and felt reassured and ready to just focus on forgetting the negatives of the first time, educating myself and preparing to have a beautiful birth.
Sounds like you have already a little resolution, but I know the atmosphere and provider really count.
Happy pregnancy and a beautiful birth to you!
Jessica

Jessica..lady.gifintactlact.gif Falling in love all over again..... 
Dhprivateeyes.gif, Joshua rolleyes.gif Rebeccagrouphug.gifand dog2.gif.    candle.gif for Laura
#5 of 8 Old 04-20-2010, 11:48 PM

Things are pretty bleak for NCB in the New London area. I really don't feel like there are any hospital-based providers here that I can, in good conscience, recommend.

Congratulations and good luck with the doc in Essex!
#6 of 8 Old 04-21-2010, 09:30 PM

Dr Byrd in M-town delivered both my girls..I absolutely love her. IMO she totally is all about leaving the ultimate choice up to the patient. I referred my neighbor to her and 6 weeks before she delivered she decided she wanted a HB. She told Dr. Byrd and she was completely cool with it no lectures wished her the best of luck.

She has a new Dr that she brought in a year ago, Dr. St. Charles who I also have heard great things about her as well.

The name of her practice is Harbor Park OB/GYN on South Main St.

Good Luck!!

And I loved Middlesex Hospital as well..nurses were great and go with the flow.
#7 of 8 Old 04-23-2010, 06:59 PM

Is Yale too far? I have heard good things about the midwives there, and also heard recently that Yale has been approved for a birth center. Not sure where they are with that process, but it's a good sign!

Sorry that homebirth is not an option with your DH. If it's something you yourself are thinking about though you may want to read Henci Goer's "thinking woman's guide to a better birth." It really changed my perspective on how most hospitals/obs are practicing contrary to the research and making hospital birth less safe than it has to be!

GL with your search!
#8 of 8 Old 05-14-2010, 11:15 PM

Did you ever find anyone? I am in groton, and was going to shoreline ob/gyn in NL, but they really rubbed me the wrong way and with this pregnancy I want to do it my way! DH is totally against homebirth too. so i'd love to hear what you've ended up doing!

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page