Cambridge/Boston area folks for natural PCOS treatment? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 05-24-2010, 01:24 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I know this is a long shot....I was just diagnosed with PCOS and would really like to try to manage it with a more natural approach than the birth control pills that my practitioner wants me on. She is admittedly "totally Western trained," so I feel like I need to look elsewhere. I see a great acupuncturist who will support me, but I'm also looking for someone who might have suggestions around vitamins (I've read B vitamins are key), diet, etc. I don't just want to self-prescribe based off of what I read on the web.

Anyone had any experience in this domain? Any recommendations for experts?

Thanks!

Mommy to an amazing 8 year old, wife to an inspiring principal, and welcoming Wylie Grace! Our July 4th babe!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-25-2010, 02:54 PM

Here are some good resources, though not right in the Boston area...

Laughing Sage Wellness

She works with women with PCOS (she had it as well) & you can do everything via phone & email (she's based in NY).

From Women to Women
(they are in Maine - this is Dr. Christiane Northrup's former practice - but will do phone-based consults for many things, including PCOS)
Old 05-25-2010, 04:41 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks for these resources! Looking forward to exploring them.

I really appreciate it.

Mommy to an amazing 8 year old, wife to an inspiring principal, and welcoming Wylie Grace! Our July 4th babe!
Old 05-25-2010, 07:40 PM

http://www.soulcysters.net/forum.php

They have a whole forum for alternative remedies.. I am currently on Metformin as I am TTC but I also take a boat-load of vits and supplements.

HTH!

Happily soggy SAHM to Emerson Lily and Ellis Willow born 11.7.2012 slingtwin.gif  Exclusively breastfed, unvaccinated, cloth diapered, worn little girls who love watching Mickey Mouse Clubhouse!

Old 06-23-2010, 09:43 PM

I second the soulcysters site. I have PCOS and started on Metformin when trying to TTC but it also brought my weight, cholesterol and triglycerides down so my doc said I should stay on it after my baby (women with PCOS often have more miscarriages and more trouble with milk supply and Metformin helps with both). I know it's not for everyone but it is still working well for me.
Old 06-23-2010, 11:42 PM

I've been told to take good B vitamins, Evening Primrose Oil, Omegas, and I'm also taking some chinese herbs. I am also receiving acupuncture twice weekly. I have a pretty severe case of PCOS, but have noticed improvements in the area of hairloss. I have also noticed other improvements -- my periods still aren't regular, but I am seeing other signs of cyclical changes. (Temperatures are making more sense, ovulation attempts are becoming more regular, etc.)

My roommate has had very good look with FertilAID.

My experience with Metformin was not a good one. It made things FAR WORSE for me. I had hot flashes, face flushing, horrible intestinal effects, I really can't say enough bad stuff about it. Also, get your vitamin D levels checked...

This website also has tons of information: http://www.ovarian-cysts-pcos.com/

Me36), PCOS -  IUI#1 post HSG w/50mg clomid & trigger 7/25/12: BFN  & med break for cyst IUI#2  9-9-12 BFN IUI#3 10-2013 BFN  IUI#4  2-18-13 same meds, new donor BFN, IUI#5 6/1/13 100mg clomid trigger, BFN,  IUI#6 TBD 8-2013 GONAL-F and trigger blogging.jpgdog2.gifcat.gifcat.gif

Old 06-27-2010, 04:32 PM

I work with women diagnosed with PCOS. PM me if I can be of help, my practice is just North of Boston in Stoneham.

User Tag List