GOOD berry picking places in southern MA? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 4 Old 06-27-2010, 10:15 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Hi All!

I am looking for some recs for any place to pick berried. I live right near Ward's farm, and while I love it there--I feel like their berry picking is more of a place to go to have an "experience" than a place to go to pick a lot of berried for a good price.

Anyone have any suggestions? Id love to go to a place where I'd be able to pick enough to make a few things of jam

TIA!
#2 of 4 Old 06-27-2010, 11:09 PM

I have gone to C.N. Smith Farm in Bridgewater for strawberries for the past few years. I haven't been this year. They're just a basic pick your own place, where you can pick by the pint or by the tray. In past years I've picked 1 or 2 trays and then done a ton of canning and preserving. They also have a little farmstand that has fruit and veggies that they grow.

I kind of picked them randomly from this page one year, and it worked out. Definitely check that site out for places that might be more convenient to you.

Trying to live a simple life in a messy house in a complicated world with : DH, DD (b. 07/07), DS (b. 02/09), and DD (b. 10/10)
#3 of 4 Old 06-29-2010, 06:39 PM

I love CN Smith, plus they're a lot closer to us than Ward's is. That said, I do enjoy Ward's for the variety of products I can get there, and we get organic veggie boxes with them in the winter. (And I'll be honest, the smoothie bar and the play area are lifesavers when you have a four year old and a two year old.) While CN Smith do have an area with farm animals, once you're out in the berry patches it's just a parking area, a porta-potty, and berries.

I've gone to CN Smith for blueberries, raspberries, and apples. We do pumpkins through our CSA (Sauchuk Farm) and we also do apples at Shelburne Farm in Stow.

We did strawberries at Ward's for the first time this year, and I hated it, though I'd chalk that up to the fact that strawberries are low-growing and sun-loving and we went on an obscenely hot day. I don't know that I'd have been any more comfortable at CN Smith under those conditions.
#4 of 4 Old 06-30-2010, 09:26 AM

Has anyone tried Dufort Farms?

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page