Any tips (esp for lodging) for Storyland? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 14 Old 07-07-2010, 04:58 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Hello! We are new to the area and live in Western Mass right now...we'd like to take our 3 and 5 year old to Storyland. Planning it for my DD's 5th b.day actually and hope I'm not too late to plan!

Any favorites for lodging? I heard there was one hotel that had all meals (kid friendly) included?

Should we definitely avoid the weekends? Anything special to bring? Thanks sooo much!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 14 Old 07-07-2010, 09:28 PM

We love Story Land!

We've had the best luck at the Red Apple Inn. Meals aren't included, but it is VERY family-friendly and budget-friendly. There's a pool and a swingset /play area in the back, and a common room where you can eat takeout meals and snacks. They do have some kind of breakfast included with the room, but it's very bare-bones-- tea bags, instant oatmeal, individual boxes of cereal, things like that. We got takeout from the German restaurant next door at their sister (more grownup-oriented) inn one night, and ordered a pizza another night. There's also a restaurant called Glen Junction that I personally can't stand (greasy low-quality food), but it has this electric train that goes around the ceiling as you eat that a lot of kids love. We stayed somewhere else last year, because my parents and sister wanted to come along, so my dad booked a family cabin, and honestly it just wasn't worth the money in my opinion. There are higher-end places, too, but I don't think we could afford those-- Red Apple is basically a very nice motel.

Your best bet is to plan on two days at Story Land, and 2-3 nights in the area total unless there's a lot more you want to see. On the first day, go after 3pm, and you get the second day free. Then on the second day go early with your free admission and stay until you're done seeing everything you want to see. Again, coming from a more NFL perspective, the food inside the park is low-quality and greasy, so we brought healthy snacks with us. I actually do a grocery run at Trader Joe's or Whole Foods (or both) before I go, and get things like pita bread, hummus, natural peanut butter, and yogurt.

A lot of the other "kid" things in the area are more for older kids. This year, we're going to tack on a visit to Santa's Village as well; this will be the first time I've done this since I was a kid myself. But I wouldn't take a 3 and 5 year old to, say, the Attitash slide or anything like that.

Hope this helps!
#3 of 14 Old 07-08-2010, 09:43 AM - Thread Starter

Thanks so much! I will definitely check it out...I want to start planning but don't know where to start. This helps...!!! Stay Cool!!
#4 of 14 Old 07-08-2010, 10:01 AM

A friend of mine recently went to Santa's Village and stayed at a little cottage with full kitchen. It's called the North Colony Motel (if you look under the lodging recommendations on the Storyland page, it's listed there!)

She was VERY pleased and she is a germophobe to the max! So, I can assure you that it's clean!

Me36), PCOS -  IUI#1 post HSG w/50mg clomid & trigger 7/25/12: BFN  & med break for cyst IUI#2  9-9-12 BFN IUI#3 10-2013 BFN  IUI#4  2-18-13 same meds, new donor BFN, IUI#5 6/1/13 100mg clomid trigger, BFN,  IUI#6 TBD 8-2013 GONAL-F and trigger blogging.jpgdog2.gifcat.gifcat.gif

#5 of 14 Old 07-09-2010, 01:35 AM

Last year we stayed at Attitash Mountain Village. We wanted something that was a little bigger than standard hotel room. We had a one bedroom and it had a full kitchen and livingroom along with a bedroom for a really reasonable rate. They had both an indoor and outdoor pool, a basic restaurant and a playground. My father and his wife had a studio and it was plenty big. StoryLand was much nicer than I was expecting.

Let them sleep in the middle, Let them be little
#6 of 14 Old 07-09-2010, 03:15 PM

We stayed here http://www.northconwaygrand.com/ recently and loved it! Great pool area, playground, and outlets right next door. There's a pizza place right next to the pool area, too. They have free kids movies in the evenings and free ice cream w/ toppings after dinner. They have a large breakfast buffet for $10 ,and kids eat free with a paying adult. We will definitely go back again.
#7 of 14 Old 07-09-2010, 09:53 PM

I second the notion of needing 2 days too....we went last yr, but my daughter was 2 years old and my son was newborn, and it just took so long to get around the park that we didn't see everything. But we didn't have 2 days, so we left without doing it all. For anyone who needs to nurse, I love how Storyland has all of those Mama's houses. I just had to keep going back to them because my son was so little and needed to nurse nonstop, haha. I like health food normally but I'm one of those who might bring some healthy snacks but also might let loose and get some unhealthy stuff from the park too, haha. It was a lot of walking in general. It was kind of crowded, but I was there on a Saturday on one of the most popular days of the year, Labor Day weekend. My daughter was just turned two at the time and just under some of the height restrictions. Being 3 this year she can go on everything I think. Normally we lodge about 45 minutes away from Storyland area in the western White Mtns, so I could help you there, but not so much right near the actual park. We normally stay in Lincoln, Franconia, North Woodstock, etc. area. I think North Conway is close by Storyland, right? A good restaurant is The Muddy Moose. This year we are doing Santa's Village, Clark's Bears...most likely Storyland to do the things my daughter missed last yr. I am excited as I haven't been to Santa's Village since I was little...back in 1991.

Not specific for Storyland but I'd bring lots of different types of clothes. The weather can be so up and down that you could be wearing shorts and then be cold and need sweatshirts or coats...all in the same day. We did a lot of walking around in the clear rivers and watershoes were our godsend at the time. Bathing suits as Storyland and a lot of other attractions have water playgrounds and such and almost every hotel has pools and hot tubs. Extra money to buy some of the maple syrup produced in NH. It is so yummy. There are maps and guide books on looking for the best waterfalls and covered bridges you can look at. NH really is nature's playground.

Mom to a girl 7.17.07 and a boy 5.30.09 Wife to husband 8.12.81 (ha) New baby boy 3.09.11 stillheart.gif
nocirc.gifribbonlime.gifslingboy.giffamilybed2.gifbfinfant.gif
#8 of 14 Old 07-10-2010, 11:41 AM

There's the Red Jacket Inn. They have a water park at the hotel. I've never stayed there before, but thought I'd throw it out there.

http://www.redjacketresorts.com/red_...mountain_view/

Erika Dh Russell 6/4/04, Shealeigh Rose 12/12/04, Devlin Russell 2/9/10
#9 of 14 Old 07-11-2010, 09:28 PM

Seconding both the Muddy Moose and different types of clothes, especially if you go in August.
#10 of 14 Old 07-13-2010, 12:17 AM

We stayed at the Fox Ridge Resort in North Conway when we took our kids last year to Storyland; it included a complimentary breakfast that was pretty good that included a variety of hot dishes, pastries, and cereal. We were able to book online and get a AAA discount on the room. I believe that we drove to NH on a Saturday, went to Storyland that afternoon, which allowed us to go back the next day (Sunday) with the same tickets, then Monday we went to Santa's Village. We ate at a few restaurants (including a buffet dinner at the Red Jacket Resort, which is the sister hotel to Fox Ride, but the Red Jacket is more expensive; the only restaurant I'd recommend that we visited was Tuckerman's Restaurant and Tavern at the New England Inn). My kids were 4 and almost 2, and they had a blast!

We plan to follow a similar schedule when we return later this summer.
#11 of 14 Old 07-13-2010, 10:16 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Storyland for us means camping. We always stay at the green meadow campground right next door. You can hear the storyland music start up in the morning. They have a cold pool and a playground area where the kids can be seen from many of the campsites.

Even though they are next door to one another, you can't really walk to storyland from the campground. It works really well for us and it is a lot less $$.

Me.  With 1 spouse, 4 kids, 16 chickens, 74 matchbox cars, 968,562+ legos, a dishwasher waiting to be emptied, a washing machine waiting to be filled and a lost cup of tea in the house.

#12 of 14 Old 07-13-2010, 10:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mommybree View Post
We stayed at the Fox Ridge Resort in North Conway ...>SNIP< (including a buffet dinner at the Red Jacket Resort, which is the sister hotel to Fox Ride, but the Red Jacket is more expensive;
I just looked it up and it says $149/night for Fox Ridge. Ouch.

Independent Consultant- Thirty One Gifts www.mythirtyone.com/ShopLiz

Origami Owl http://lizcioci.origamiowl.com

#13 of 14 Old 07-13-2010, 01:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaughterOfKali View Post
I just looked it up and it says $149/night for Fox Ridge. Ouch.
There's a AAA discount available, so if someone is a AAA member, it's cheaper. We researched everything from big chain hotels to B&Bs to motels before booking a room this year, and except for some motels (which didn't offer the free big breakfast option), Fox Ridge was actually the cheapest hotel with that AAA discount that I could find in the area.
#14 of 14 Old 07-13-2010, 02:00 PM

I have AAA. I'll have to look again to see if there was a box to check for that.

Independent Consultant- Thirty One Gifts www.mythirtyone.com/ShopLiz

Origami Owl http://lizcioci.origamiowl.com

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page