OB, doula recs in Worcester - UMass? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 20 Old 07-10-2010, 09:57 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Hi all -

pregnant with #2 and am looking for a new OB/gyn - someone who can deliver at UMass and who is supportive of VBACs. Also, any doula recs would be greatly appreciated! I have a couple names from Mothers & Co but thought I'd ask here as well.

many thanks!
#2 of 20 Old 07-13-2010, 12:16 AM

At UMASS all babies are caught, 95% of the time, by the residents. It’s a teaching hospital. A good one, a kind one, but still a teaching hospital. Some nice OBs who supervise the residents that catch babies are Dr. David Klein in Shrewsbury, Dr. Kerri Osterhaus, Dr. Dena Deldon, Dr. Paul Dunn, as well as Family Practice Docs who catch babies and tend to catch 80% of their clients babies – Dr. Katharine Barnard, Dr. Tracy Kedian, Dr. Sara Shields.
I am also a doula and live in Worcester. I am very friendly with MOCO and have facilitated classes there in the past. If you would like help finding a doula let me know.
#3 of 20 Old 07-13-2010, 10:36 AM

deleted
#4 of 20 Old 07-13-2010, 11:28 AM

Dr. Paul Dunn is great as a GYN. I see him for well women care due to his sub specialty in infertility (got a helping hand from him with that) but had our ds up here closer to home in New Hampshire. I wouldn't hesitate to use him as an OB if I lived closer- can't vouch for anyone else in his practice though, since I never met them. He seems to truly love helping women and enjoys his work. A good friend of mine delivered with him and had a good experience (her first baby, vaginal delivery.)

FWIW, I would always want a doula on hand at a hospy birth no matter how good the OB is.

Jen knit.gif crafty mama LLLactivist to DS1 (2010)bouncy.gif and DS2 (2012)blahblah.giffamilybed2.gif nursex2.gifribbonjigsaw.gif
#5 of 20 Old 07-16-2010, 11:45 PM

I don't know about OBGYN's but Joyce Kimball was my homebirth midwife, and I believe she's a doula as well, and I LOVED her. She was so so supportive, I felt totally comfortable with her and totally trusted her. Good luck!

Kara, SAHM to two wonderful boys (7/08 & 5/10) 

#6 of 20 Old 07-17-2010, 12:13 AM

Hey Kara! Yes Joyce does do doula work also. We often work together and also do backup for each other as doulas.
Carol
P.S. You were amazing!
#7 of 20 Old 07-19-2010, 10:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by beaches1098 View Post
Hey Kara! Yes Joyce does do doula work also. We often work together and also do backup for each other as doulas.
Carol
P.S. You were amazing!
Hey Carol!! Small world!

Carol was at my homebirth as well, and was also great!

Kara, SAHM to two wonderful boys (7/08 & 5/10) 

#8 of 20 Old 07-19-2010, 11:14 PM

I can't say enough good things about St Vincents....have you considered it there? Had both my babies there and loved the hospital. I had a VBAC with the midwives through Fallon Clinic.

Avoid Dr. Farricy and Dr. Leiman. They missed a breech position with my first until I was 7 centimeters and I ended up with an emergency c-section.
#9 of 20 Old 07-20-2010, 11:01 AM

So glad I saw this - I've only just started connecting w/Joyce Kimball so the confirmation/that she seems great was nice to hear - have heard LOTS of good things about her!

pjsmom30 - That's EXACTLY what happened w/my first birth - missed breech until pushing/emergency cesarean Just wondering if you mean that happened to you/those Dr.s are @ UMASS or St. Vincents? I hear that's VERY rare (maybe that's just what they say) - SO SORRY it happened to you too ♥
#10 of 20 Old 07-20-2010, 12:08 PM

I also would like to recommend Joyce Kimball. She was our homebirth midwife and I ended up being transported for a C-section and she was AMAZING! She would make an excellent doula.

Catherinepraying.gif traditional Catholic mama to bikenew.gifjammin.gifdiaper.gif wife to an amazing man.selectivevax.gifnocirc.giffamilybed1.gif

#11 of 20 Old 07-20-2010, 05:42 PM

I have met Joyce Kimball and I really loved her!! As for another recommendation, my doula was Dina Fraize... who now is a midwife AND doula. She is amazing!!! I loved her and she truly helped me through an amazing birth. If you want her contact info PM me.
#12 of 20 Old 07-20-2010, 09:25 PM

Joyce, Dina and Carol were at my HBAC turned transfer. They were wonderful and I would highly recommend any of them.

Alison: BFing, BWing, ERFing mama to KidA (12/25/07) and KidO (6/26/10) nocirc.giffamilybed2.gif

#13 of 20 Old 07-21-2010, 01:42 PM

Such good information - and good to hear that planned homebirth turned transfers still had you feeling "supported" and satisfied with your care. If anyone's inclined I'd be interested to know the reasons/necessity for transfer - though I am thinking I'll be trying to meet w/Joyce so can als ask her
**Also - if ANYONE knows/can confirm the St. Vincents question - whether it's true that Midwives only catch M-F 8-5 or so /otherwise you'd have an OB for delivery - that would be GREAT!
#14 of 20 Old 07-21-2010, 11:29 PM

St. V's midwives really only do catch M-F 9-5. Sometimes if you have been there all day with the midwife and you are close to delivery they will stay a bit. However if you labor at night or on the weekend you will get the OB on call. I have been a doula for 7 years and now attend homebirths and this has always been the case. I have heard however that if after hours you insist on a midwife you can get the one on call to do triage but not necessarily the delivery.
Reasons for transport can vary. Transports happen because mom is totally wiped out from a long labor and wants to go in for pain relief and some rest before having to push her baby out. This can work well if the other option is that she is too exhausted and can't push and then has a surgical delivery.
If the baby has late decels and is showing signs of stress then a transport would happen.
If the water broke and there was very thick meconium and birth was not happening at that moment.
Sometimes babies try to come out in a funky position like ear first, tilted head, or they have a short cord etc and as strong as mom is and comitted to homebirth it is just not working. It is nothing mom has done wrong and we sometimes don't have answers but we go in while mom and baby are healthy before it comes to the point that the baby is not happy or mom has such a tired uterus that she bleeds too much.
Hope some of that helps.
Carol
#15 of 20 Old 07-22-2010, 01:13 PM

Carol - THANK YOU - ALL of that information truly did help me You confirmed that St. V's isn't a "healthy birth" option for me as I'm not okay with a random OB catching "just because" - had that the first time and it didn't work in my favor. REALLY glad for the "transfer" reasons as well - I know I can cover that w/Midwife interview, but really found it comforting.
#16 of 20 Old 09-27-2010, 11:09 AM - Thread Starter

months later....thanks everyone for the replies!! I found what I hope/think is a great practice and OB (Kerri Osterhaus at Women's Health of Central MA, who came highly recommended and encourages VBACs). I should have mentioned in my original post that I'm delivering at UMass primarily b/c that's where my husband is a resident (so I'm also fine - and supportive - of residents attending my delivery )

I'm starting to meet with doulas today and appreciate all the names! I'll let you know who I end up with!
#17 of 20 Old 12-23-2011, 06:27 PM

I'm trying to find a doula who can assist me with a VBAC at Umass. Can someone PM me the info of these recommended doulas please?

Also does Umass have water tubs that you can use during labor?

Thanks for your help.

#18 of 20 Old 01-13-2012, 10:34 PM

I can attest to how amazing Joyce is also!

I'd also recommend Stephanie Lee Butler. She's a birth doula, a midwifery student and a birth photographer. She's also an awesome person heartbeat.gif

#19 of 20 Old 02-07-2012, 01:45 PM

NO birth tubs at UMass but the nurses do encourage showers for warm water therapy, you can sit on a chair or ball in the shower.  (Bring your own ball b/c they can't keep track of theirs)  IF I really wanted a tub for relaxation... think about setting up one at home to help with early labor.  As long as you are low risk and your membranes are not ruptures staying home where you can be comfortable is better.  As for Joyce, Carol and Alexis Topham I would recommend to anyone for doula support or as midwives.  I do like Dr. Osterhaus and Dr.Klein for VBACs .

Sarah- wife to one handsome man, mama to three bouncing children and carrying #4!

hug2.gifwinner.jpgh20homebirth.gifjumpers.gifstork-girl.gifknit.gifhang.gif

#20 of 20 Old 08-02-2014, 01:58 PM

Doula in Worcester - Boston

Love Your Belly Birth Services in Central MA - Vanessa Ann Lewis - doula, placenta encapsulation, Certified lactation counseling, childbirth education, birth pool rentals. MMA Basic Midwifery course graduate, toLabor trained doula, and Healthy Children Certified Lactation Counselor - contact at LoveYourBelly2@gmail.com http://loveyourbelly2.wix.com/birthservices

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page