Tools of the Mind schools in MA ? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 3 Old 07-19-2010, 01:46 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I am reading NurtureShock, and am on the chapter about preschool, etc. It includes lots of information about the curriculum Tools of the Mind and on their website, they say that MA was one state who implemented the curriculum.

Do you know of any preschools or elementary schools (private, public, etc.) that have implemented it? Did you send your child to a school that used their curriculum and what did you think? Any other feedback specifically on the Tools curriculum (preferably if your child attended a school that used the curriculum, or you considered a Tools school [and chose not to and why], not just an review of the curriculum)?

I happen to live in Norwood, so local info is especially appreciated (but all feedback is interesting).

(Their website says to contact individual schools to see if they use the Tools curriculum, I thought I'd post here instead of ignoring my 2.5 year old to make 200 calls at least to narrow it down!

Also, I sent an email to the DOE asking the same question and haven't heard back from them.)

Thank you!
#2 of 3 Old 07-30-2010, 11:45 PM

We are in Petersham, and this year they are beginning Tools of the Mind in Kindergarten. My daughter will be in the class.

I am not sure if they intend on using it for the whole school, or if it will grow as the kindy kids move up in grades.

Petersham only has one school, grade K-6 with under 100 kids in the whole school, so I imagine either choice will work.

Kristina; wife to Max, Mom to Tristan (17) and Zackariah (7) and Lillian (5)
#3 of 3 Old 07-02-2013, 11:46 AM

This is a few years since your original post, but I also started looking at this after reading nutureshock and found that several school districts in MA use this: http://www.toolsofthemind.org/about/program-sites/

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page