Favorite vacation destinations in driving distance (with a toddler) - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 08-29-2010, 07:08 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
We are planning to take vacation toward the end of Sept/beginning of Oct. and are trying to find a destination in driving distance from RI/MA.

It would just be me, DH, and our 18mo DS. So obviously a lot of the 'child-friendly' destinations are geared more toward older kids. DH & I prefer places where you don't have to do much/any driving (i.e. lots of activities in walking distance)... DS likes swimming, being outside, art, music, playgrounds, typical toddler stuff... We like beaches, hiking etc. but don't really want to 'go camping' -- would prefer to sleep indoors (with cable & a pool, since we don't have those things at home!)

I guess we just really want to go somewhere different... And relatively inexpensive. Plus I'm on an incredibly strict diet so I'd love if there were lots of allergy-friendly veggie restaurants nearby or at least a good grocery/natural foods store.

Co-sleeping is really wonderful when your child actually SLEEPS!! familybed1.gif
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-30-2010, 04:40 PM

We absolutely love the outer cape. We are the owners of the Truro Dunes House, its a 2br rental condo on Beach Point in Truro, the town next to Ptown. I don't know if the CTA buses will still be running into Ptown that late, but across the street is the ocean, there's a HUGE playground and the library ~ 2mi away, hiking to a seal colony just up the street, yada yada yada. The outer cape is really neat. There's a drive in theatre in Wellfleet, fishing and boating nearby. Fresh seafood, farmers markets, the Truro Vineyards, offroading at the national seashore, campfires on the beach, its paradise (I write this as I sit on our deck sipping a bit of champage and not a cloud in the sky)

Erin photosmile2.gif  treehugger.gif, DH jammin.gif ,  Mumma to Chase 7/08 superhero.gif and babyf.gif Griff 3/13

MTHFR C677T Homozygous, M/C 2/07 @ 6wks, 12/10 @8wks, 10/11@7wks, 2/12 @4wks.... 

Old 09-03-2010, 12:20 PM

We just went camping in NH. Very kid friendly camp ground and Storyland was about an hour away. We wished we would have stayed closer because of all the train stuff near the amusement park. DD loves trains. There were tons of hotels/motels in that area. You would have to check the rates for that time of the year because I think that's when all the leaves change and people head that way.

married 11/06, DD May 2009, DS  April 2011successful, natural 9lbs 6ozvbac.gif

Old 09-03-2010, 05:44 PM

Cape, Western Mass, or the Conway/Glen NH area would be my top choices. I think Story Land (in Glen) is perfect for that age group-- it's like a cheaper, less commercial, more user-friendly and MUCH smaller Magic Kingdom, and while there isn't a great variety of food options there are at least one or two healthy food markets/cafes in Conway that I remember. The Cape might be the least visited of the three areas during that time, because the summer crowd will be gone and the leaf-peepers will all be in NH, Maine and Vermont. All three areas have hotels with cable and pool.

What we do for food on short road trips like this is stock the cooler with stuff from Trader Joe's, Whole Foods, and the local health-food store and eat at least half our meals in. (To the point where it drove me nuts that that wasn't an option when we went down to Disney this summer.)
Old 09-03-2010, 06:06 PM - Thread Starter

Great ideas everyone!! I'm going to look into each one further, thanks! I'm excited about vacation!!!!!!!!!

Co-sleeping is really wonderful when your child actually SLEEPS!! familybed1.gif
Old 09-03-2010, 11:26 PM

we just got back from the cape we stayed in Falmouth. There was a great little main street with cute shops and my favorite was Coonamessett Farm my two year old LOVED picking berries, seeing chickens and petting the donkey. The beach was also really nice.
Old 09-15-2010, 12:11 AM

I have been looking into yurt camping & there are several w/in driving distance. Now if only I could convince DH.

Michele
 joy.gif

User Tag List