Tolerant Catholic schools south of Boston? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 3 Old 09-02-2010, 09:12 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
To make a long story short, my wife's ex is making a big fuss about wanting his children to go to a Catholic school, and is willing to go to court over it.

Since our other option is the public high school, and the ex is willing to pay half, we're OK with the idea. Well, not "OK", but we're trying to make the best of a bad situation.

Does anyone here know of a Catholic high school that will enroll the (step)children of a pair of lesbians without making a huge deal of our personal lives? Preferably the Milton/Quincy area, but farther is all right, too.
#2 of 3 Old 09-03-2010, 10:27 AM

I know of an Episcopalian school in the Dorchester area, since I know that they tend to be more tolerant.
With Catholic schools you may want to go in and talk to them and see how you feel.
#3 of 3 Old 09-03-2010, 04:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by teawithfrodo View Post
I know of an Episcopalian school in the Dorchester area, since I know that they tend to be more tolerant.
With Catholic schools you may want to go in and talk to them and see how you feel.
All the NAES schools I turned up in Dorchester are actually Catholic schools except for Epiphany and Advent. Epiphany is a tuition-free middle school available by lottery to lower-income families, and Advent is K-6 on Beacon Hill. (Full disclosure: I taught a Kaplan class at Advent ten years ago, and I tutored the child of an Epiphany board member around the same time.)

If the dad is specifically looking for a Catholic school, I don't think Episcopal is going to be what he has in mind.

OP: I strongly suggest calling the individual schools and asking. IME they really run the gamut. A few of the schools close by:

Coed:
-Newton Country Day School (yep, it's Catholic, the rest of the name is "of the Sacred Heart)
-Archbishop Williams
-Sacred Heart (in Kingston, so kind of a hike)
-Cardinal Spelman (again, a bit of a hike down in Brockton)

Girls:
-Fontbonne
-Ursuline
-Notre Dame Academy, Hingham

Boys:
-Catholic Memorial
-Xaverian
-BC High

There's a bunch I'm not remembering, or not remembering if they're coed or single-sex, like St. Mary's and St. Brendan's in Dorchester, and there's got to be SOMETHING in Quincy I'm sure.

I think one MAJOR thing worth noting is that the school that kicked out the little boy last year, St. Paul's in Hingham, was a parish school, and I think it was the parish priest who did that. A lot of the above schools are run by religious orders independently of the Archdiocese, which makes a big difference in philosophy and inclusiveness.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page