Need New Pedi. Cape Cod/SE Mass - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 10-07-2010, 09:00 PM - Thread Starter
lao

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I just found out that my kid's integrative pediatrician is moving to Atlanta at the end of the month Would love to have any recommendations for a replacement. I have one fully and one partially vaccinated child but am declining any further vaccinations so I guess I would need a pediatrician open to that. I was thinking of Bass River Pediatrics. I have Network Blue Insurance.
Thanks!
Lisa
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-07-2010, 09:22 PM

Hey Lisa, we go to Cape Cod Pediatrics on 130 and both of our kids are completely unvaxed. They did ask us to sign a waiver, so I don't know if that is a problem for you. I didn't try to refuse (though I may if they ask me to do it again) so I'm not sure what they'll say if you don't want to sign it. However, aside from the waiver they haven't given us any trouble over it and didn't try to talk us into vaxing at all.
Old 10-07-2010, 10:08 PM

I second Cape Cod Peds. We go there and have had no issues.
Old 10-12-2010, 01:16 AM

I third Cape Cod Pediatrics. Both Dr. Hooshmand and Dr. Heard are awesome, young docs with little children of their own and their nurses and office staff are great, too. Everyone in the practice is understanding of differing opinions and informed family choices. They will definitely let you know that they prefer to vax but are respectful and cooperative with alternative opinions. On a side note, they share "call" with the Falmouth pedi practice and although my contact with them was limited they are just as respectful and supportive as CCP.
Old 10-12-2010, 11:46 AM

I would NOT recommend Bass River. There is a Dr Kaselis who is moving to Briar Patch in Yarmouth who is flexible with vax's and people seem to like her. Dr. Golden in orleans is also flexible.
Old 10-12-2010, 11:57 PM

We moved to the Cape last year and have had a wonderful experiences with Cape Cod Pediatrics. I agree that Dr. Heard and Hooshmand are fantastic. I've also been very pleased with both nurse practitioners.

Now I just wish I could find an ob practice that I love as much. That's been a challenge out here.
Old 10-13-2010, 10:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by corrieoseal View Post
We moved to the Cape last year and have had a wonderful experiences with Cape Cod Pediatrics. I agree that Dr. Heard and Hooshmand are fantastic. I've also been very pleased with both nurse practitioners.

Now I just wish I could find an ob practice that I love as much. That's been a challenge out here.
have you tried Wareham Nurse Midwives??? Louise Is the BEST! The OBs she works with are fantastic too! (Triad, i think)
Old 10-13-2010, 11:00 AM

rubyeta- Thank you very much for the suggestion.

Do they deliver out of Jordan hospital? I am somewhat resigned to delivering there, but am looking into the possibility of a practice that works with South Shore since Jordan doesn't allow for VBACS. Right now I am at Pilgrim Shores and will either end up having a c-section at Jordan or trying to drive to Tufts in labor. And since I only like one of the docs at Pilgrim so far, I am considering a change.
Old 10-14-2010, 01:43 PM

Corrieoseal-
Definitely consider posting more on a new thread to get more vbac info and support. I know I've heard someone say Jordan is trying to allow VBAC's.... I don't know how soon (or if) that will happen.
I switched to Louise because Pilgrim Shores wasn't working for me. I do know some people that had good experiences but I wasn't ready to chance it (I did like Mary, one of the midwives).
In anycase,I wasn't a vbac, so I wasn't as limited as you will be (unfortunately and very unfairly). Please know that there are quite a few midwives and doctors that want to support vbac but are being limited by administration. There are also many homebirth midwives and doulas that support vbacs

You might also want to talk to the midwives at South Shore Midwifery AND a homebirth midwife and/or doulas. Even if you are not thinking of a homebirth some of the homebirth midwives might get you started on the right path to figure out what you need to be asking regarding vbac and what the current options are. SSM seems to have a better reputation for supporting vbacs and is affiliated with SSH. A doula can also help you navigate this.

BTW, for family practice drs I have some names in Halifax and Carver but I'm not familiar with the Cape drs

Hope this is helpful... congratulations!

Jessica

Jessica..lady.gifintactlact.gif Falling in love all over again..... 
Dhprivateeyes.gif, Joshua rolleyes.gif Rebeccagrouphug.gifand dog2.gif.    candle.gif for Laura
Old 10-14-2010, 08:58 PM - Thread Starter
lao

Jessica,
I would be interested in the Carver/Halifax doctors names if they don't require waiver signatures for skipping a vaccine.
Thanks!
Lisa
Old 10-14-2010, 11:08 PM

Dr Harootunian @ Plymouth/Carver Primary Care
3 Carver Square Blvd
508-866-7722
It's fine to call him Dr H

Dr Griever @ PMG Physicians Assoc./Jordan Health and Wellness
(781) 293-7210
430 Plymouth Street, Rte. 106 Halifax

I do not believe either requires a waiver. I had only seen Dr Griever for one appt. when our dr was out of town, but my husband sees him. I really liked him and my kids really liked him. I just met another mom who uses Dr Griever for his whole family and feel like she validated the postive vibe I got from him. My husband also likes him, but he has a differnt outlook on drs- however the drs orders have pleased me since they have focused on excersise, heallthy living/eating and even supplements.

Both drs are very respectful and listen. Neither is too likely to promote a completely alternative approach- both are conservative when it comes to prescribing antibiotics and interventions. I believe that Dr H could probably use more information to support breastfeeding (ie, difficulties) better, but he is supportive and probably better than the majority of drs.

Dr Griever also delivers. The person who told me this said his reputation was more like a midwife.

Let me know if you have any other questions and I can answer them by pm or email(-;
BTw, not remembering the screen name but maybe you are the lisa I know thru meetup and Plymouth/JenneyGristmill/farmers market? Or maybe the other lisa I haven't met yet that just had a baby? Or another Lisa all together, hello!
Jessica

Jessica..lady.gifintactlact.gif Falling in love all over again..... 
Dhprivateeyes.gif, Joshua rolleyes.gif Rebeccagrouphug.gifand dog2.gif.    candle.gif for Laura

User Tag List