birthing twins in RI: Memorial or Women and Infants? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 12 Old 10-22-2010, 08:54 PM - Thread Starter
jdc

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Hi Mamas,

I just found out yesterday, during my 20 week ultrasound, that I'm having twins! Total shock! We had NO idea.

Anyway... I have been seeing Mary Mumford Haley with the hopes of having a successful VBAC at Memorial. But now that I'm having twins, I don't know what to do. I haven't talked to Mary yet, but I wanted to see if any of you have advice about birthing twins in RI.

My worry about Women and Infants is that I won't be supported in breastfeeding them both as well, and that they won't be allowed to sleep in our room with us. My worry about Memorial is that there's no NICU, should I deliver extra-early or should there be complications (which is a higher risk with twins).

Thoughts? Experiences? Advice? Thanks!!

-jdc

follow my blog at: www.multiplerealitiesblog.com

shop my natural + organic items for children (and their grown-ups) at: www.etsy.com/shop/dearlizacreations

#2 of 12 Old 10-23-2010, 04:12 PM

edit I didn't realize you saw that other thread I was mentioning...

Christian SAHM & birth doula.
#3 of 12 Old 10-24-2010, 12:58 AM

have you thought about a homebirth? sue smith will homebirth twins. just an idea.

if nothing else, i'd suggest a doula for sure to help with the nursing support.

Lindsay + Trev = DD RóisÃ*n (9/07) & DS Ãamonn (7/2010)
#4 of 12 Old 10-25-2010, 10:15 PM

#5 of 12 Old 10-27-2010, 11:06 PM - Thread Starter
jdc

Thanks for the input... very helpful.

shop my natural + organic items for children (and their grown-ups) at: www.etsy.com/shop/dearlizacreations

#6 of 12 Old 11-06-2010, 01:21 AM

I actually had a pretty good experience breastfeeding at W&I. The nurses I had were very helpful. We also saw Gail as an IBCLC after we went home, via the Warm Line, and she's amazing. She's the reason my daughter's on the breast, as opposed to having EBM. Good luck!

--
New mum to Calico, b. 25.09.10
#7 of 12 Old 11-06-2010, 10:10 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Congratulations! No advice on hospitals but I think it was helpful for me, when I had twins, to make sure the hospital staff knew my name. I called the director of the maternity ward before hand to let her know I would not deliver in the OR "just in case." I didn't want it to be an issue during labor so I let her know my intentions before hand. I went on to have an unmedicated vaginal delivery in the regular L&D room which I think helped set things in motion to change the "just in case" rules.

Good luck! I'm sure you won't need it but having twins is such a roller coaster. Try to remember that when you are at the low point- the high is just around the corner.

Me.  With 1 spouse, 4 kids, 16 chickens, 74 matchbox cars, 968,562+ legos, a dishwasher waiting to be emptied, a washing machine waiting to be filled and a lost cup of tea in the house.

#8 of 12 Old 11-07-2010, 04:22 PM

Congratulations! :-)

A fellow doula friend of mine recently supported a mother who birthed twins vaginally. (I don't think it was a VBAC though.) I would recommend getting in touch with her -- Jess Fuss -- she's really wonderful. She may have some insight with her experience.

I know Mary is really great and that people can't say enough good things about her, Dr. Morton, and Dr. Magee. I am fairly new doula so I can't speak first hand as I have not supported a twin birth. However, I will talk to some of my fellow doula friends and let you know what I find out. I wish you a lot of luck! If you have any questions, feel free to PM me or email me at Jenny@BellyUpRI.com . I'll do what I can get you the information that you need. :-)

Me36), PCOS -  IUI#1 post HSG w/50mg clomid & trigger 7/25/12: BFN  & med break for cyst IUI#2  9-9-12 BFN IUI#3 10-2013 BFN  IUI#4  2-18-13 same meds, new donor BFN, IUI#5 6/1/13 100mg clomid trigger, BFN,  IUI#6 TBD 8-2013 GONAL-F and trigger blogging.jpgdog2.gifcat.gifcat.gif

#9 of 12 Old 11-10-2010, 06:47 PM

We did a twin birth at home for a Dr and his wife about a year ago.  If all is well with growth, positioning, etc...then birth at home can be a wonderful option.  If it helps you, I would only recommend, as a midwife, Memorial with Mary Mumford-Haily, CNM and her docs.  If I were the primary midwife for a couple wanting a homebirth with twins they are who we would want to be seeing as well.  You want to always have the best for your clients if you should need it and there is no comparison with Memorial and W& I, in my experience.  If the delivery is too early for Memorial then of course you would be transferred, or told to go to W & I, so there is no real issue there.  As with a planned hb, if there are issues then you won't be having the baby/ies at home.

#10 of 12 Old 11-16-2010, 10:36 AM

Congrats! Mary was my mid wife for my VBAC at Memorial, she is phenomenal!  I would definitely talk to her about your situation, especially since she is now doing home births.   I would also highly recommend hiring a doula/labor assistant.  Jessica Fuss is a great and so is  Alana Bibeau.

If you and your care providers do decision that a cesarean is the best route, Memorial offers what's called a "Gentle Cesarean".  They do skin-to-skin contact, delayed cord clamping and if you want-nursing your babies in the OR.  No other hospital in RI does this!  Look into the ICAN Chapter here in RI. (International Cesarean Network).   Their purpose is preventing cesareans through education and supporting women who need cesareans or are recovering from them.  Their December meeting is actually about the way Memorial performs cesareans when necessary.  They might be a good resource for you. 

www.icanri.org

www.facebook.com/icanri

http://www.facebook.com/#!/event.php?eid=159538557415899

#11 of 12 Old 11-25-2010, 04:52 PM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 19 Post(s)

I had two kids at Women and Infants with positive breastfeeding experiences both times.  One full term babe who came home with me the next day and a 33week preemie who was in the nicu 11 days.  We were there prior to the opening of the new single-bed nicu wing almost 3 years ago.  But it was a great experience.  I delivered with a midwife and used the birthing ball and birthing bar on the bed and caught her myself and got to kiss her before they took her away.  Most of my nicu experience was as pain-free and positive as can be expected from a nicu experience and breastfeeding was highly encouraged.  There was a quiet room to pump in and always pumps available and our head nurse was very supportive and wonderful about letting me know ahead of time if she needed more milk in the freezer.  I realize the new wing changes things but the mindset 3 years ago was spectacular and I would birth a child there again if I was having more.  They had a lactation consultant in my room waiting for me within 12 hours of birth and a pump in the corner before I went up to my recovery room from the labor room.  I was pumping 3 1/2 hours after birthing and I left the hospital with a hospital grade pump 20 hours after the birth. My preemie left the hospital nursing all feeds and continued to nurse for 2 years.  My full term babe roomed in and co-slept with me 10years ago when she was born.  I was a clueless 19 year old kid but my nurses were very supportive in teaching me to nurse her and she was on the breast within 30minutes of birth(mec in the fluid, so she required suctioning).  It was a great experience!

treehugger.gifjog.gifgreenthumb.gifknit.gifnamaste.gif

#12 of 12 Old 10-08-2012, 05:36 AM - Thread Starter
jdc

Thanks everyone for these great suggestions and experiences.  We did a natural VBAC with Mary Mumford Haley, Dr. John Morton and Severine Degnan (doula).  I wrote all about it here:

http://www.multiplerealitiesblog.com/2012/08/the-natural-vbac-twin-birth.html

My advice to anyone thinking a VBAC isn't possible with twins, I am proof that it IS possible!  Good luck, everyone!

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page