RI Mama's I Need Some Advice - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 21 Old 12-30-2010, 08:43 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Hi there, 

We're considering a move from Vermont to RI with our two year old son and soon to be newborn. I'm wondering how "natural" and "alternative" Mama's and Papa's feel about RI. Is there access to supportive communities, parent groups, etc. What about schools and pre-schools? Homeschooling groups, etc. Are there Dad's groups that would support my baby wearing partner? If anyone out there could let us know what their day to day looks like that would be great. We'll be in the Providence area initially but I think eventually we'd like to go further south where I believe there may be more access to the outdoors. Overall, do you feel RI offers the support you need as an "alternative" parent? By alternative I mean extended breastfeeding, co-sleeping, child directed learning, baby wearing, natural eating, etc. 

We did live in RI temporarily with our son for a few months. We've got a doctor that we love down there and I know where the Whole Foods' are! What other resources are there?

(I'm not sure if I posted this in the right place. I used to find a link for readers based on their location. Is that gone now?) 

Mama to big brother Ezaias (eh-zay-as) 3/09 and little brother Micaiah 03/11! Co-parenting with my amazing partner, Travis!
#2 of 21 Old 01-03-2011, 11:19 AM

I laughed when I saw this because we're moving from the Providence area up to VT this spring - so we'll just switch spots?

We became parents for the first time in RI so I can't really compare to VT (and I think there's a wide discrepency between say Burlington and the NEK?).

Mothering helped me connect with like-minded mommas so I'm part of a great AP playgroup. I think the natural parenting community is there - but sometimes takes some finding? From what I hear about South County there is a fairly strong natural parenting bent in that area too.

Our son goes to a play based preschool co op that we love in Providence. There are a few montessori's in the are. There is one Waldorf School in the state, as far as I know. Our kids aren't yet school aged so I haven't sought out homeschooling resources. I think they are out there though.

I'm glad you have an MD you love. We found it a challenge to find someone at first but I now have a midwife I LOVE and a family practitioner that we wish we could convince to move with us ;)

HTH

Sarah, Farmer, photographer, teacher, mother to Noah 05-05-06 and Del 03-27-08 and best friend to Josh 05-29-04.

#3 of 21 Old 01-04-2011, 02:00 PM

Some places in RI are more into natural parenting (etc) than others.  Like a previous poster said, South County has a large natural parenting community.  So does Foster/Glocester.

The East Side (providence) is good and is getting even crunchier.

Edgewood (Cranston, by the bay) also has a natural parenting community.

Independent Consultant- Thirty One Gifts www.mythirtyone.com/ShopLiz

Origami Owl http://lizcioci.origamiowl.com

#4 of 21 Old 01-05-2011, 01:23 PM

Here's some stuff:

Bellani Maternity in Warwick RI is an awesome place.  It's a cloth diaper/natural parenting store, but it's more than that, they have LLL meetings, Babywearing meetings, Baby Yoga meetings, you name it.  Stop by the store; I've found it to sort of be the AP Nexus of the state!  http://www.bellanimaternity.com/

Here's the RI Home Birth Collective on FB if you're interested in connecting with other natural parents:

http://www.facebook.com/home.php?#!/home.php?sk=group_167438153286426

Here's KangaMamas, the Babywearing group:

http://www.facebook.com/home.php?#!/group.php?gid=53545073743

http://kangamamas.blogspot.com/

HTH!

#5 of 21 Old 01-06-2011, 09:52 AM

lovermont------Would you mind pm'ing some info on that play-based preschool co-op you mentioned? I'm looking around for some PS options for my son and that sounds interesting.....

OP---- good luck with the move! I can't really add anything at the moment because you've already been given some great advice :-)

S~ Peace loving, natural living, FuNkY vegan mama to Keiran bouncy.gif 23/Dec/06:
"Our lives begin to end the day we become silent about things that matter" ~~ MLK
#6 of 21 Old 01-06-2011, 10:47 AM - Thread Starter

Thanks for the info everyone! I'm familiar with Bellani, it is a great place and I spent most of my teens hanging out on the East Side! My son's birth was planned at home but I transported. I'm wondering who is currently attending home births in the area? I'm aware that Michelle Palmer is in New Zealand for some time. 

I'd love more info about the AP group and the Co-op. 

What about good organic food supplies outside of farmer's markets and Whole Foods. I'm going to miss all of Vermont's wonderful options! 

Yes, there is a big difference between the Burlington area and well the rest of Vermont, really! I have lived all over the state with the exception of the Brattleboro area. In my opinion there tends to be a pretty wide spread alternative scene no matter where you are. That's not to say there aren't a good deal of people who aren't of a similar mindset but I think the same it true of Burlington. Enjoy! It's a beautiful place! 

Mama to big brother Ezaias (eh-zay-as) 3/09 and little brother Micaiah 03/11! Co-parenting with my amazing partner, Travis!
#7 of 21 Old 01-06-2011, 11:54 AM

Mary Mumford Haley attends home births; I'm not sure who else but if you post on the FB group I mentioned, I'm sure someone can get that info to you.

Organic foods - Whole Foods, of course, but also Dave's Marketplace (not all is organic, but a good selection and lots of local produce), East Side Marketplace and Clement's (if you're on the island).  There's a wonderful Winter farmer's market in Pawtucket at Hope Artiste Village.http://www.farmfresh.org/food/farmersmarkets_details.php?market=29

#8 of 21 Old 01-06-2011, 12:09 PM

for homebirth midwives, michelle palmer (whose practice is being taken over by mary mumford haley while michelle is overseas) and sue smith are your options.  sue is based in uxbridge mass, but she attends births in ri and she is great.  very experienced and hands off unless the situation requires.  she attended my homebirth at the end of november 2010 -- a footling breech.  she is one of the only care providers to have experience delivering breech babies.

the ap playgroup is not so active in the wintertime, but when the weather gets nice enough for playground picnics, it meets at least weekly at one playground or another on the east side of pvd.  right now it is most active over email through a yahoo group, but we'll start organizing an mdc thread in the spring.

ariana, mama to beautiful redheaded girls (oct 07) and (nov 10)

#9 of 21 Old 01-06-2011, 12:12 PM

oh and you might be interested in urbangreens -- a burgeoning food coop in providence.

ariana, mama to beautiful redheaded girls (oct 07) and (nov 10)

#10 of 21 Old 01-09-2011, 05:19 PM

The two Providence based co - op pre schools that I know of are East Side Nursery School and Child's Play. They are set up slightly differently and have a slightly different vibe to them. I'm sure anyone would be happy with either. We decided to go with the Nursery School and have no regrets. We're sad to be leaving before our dd can experience Nursery School beyond following her brother in and having to be convinced to leave the homemade playdough, beautiful dress up area, and art supplies behind because she's not quite old enough.

Sarah, Farmer, photographer, teacher, mother to Noah 05-05-06 and Del 03-27-08 and best friend to Josh 05-29-04.

#11 of 21 Old 01-10-2011, 05:03 AM

I second Mary Mumford Haley- she was my midwife for both kids, and is now providing our pediatric care (she's also a FNP).

There's another AP-type mom's group down here, look up "Natural Moms of RI" on meetupdotcom.

Lovermont, we met at the AP playgroup at Humboldt once I think...we're also finally moving home to VT, too...our move up day is 1/22, I start a new dream job up there in February.  DH is going to finish work on our house and rent it, and follow us up in the spring...if anyone is looking for a super cute 3 br house with an organic raised bed garden with a view of the bay, PM me!

#12 of 21 Old 01-10-2011, 11:11 AM - Thread Starter

Thanks for all the info! I think we're leaning more and more strongly towards moving down there. It'll be sad to leave VT but I think RI will just work better with life right now.

If either of you are moving to central Vermont look up Mamasays on yahoo groups. It's a great source of info for natural parenting as well as items for trade/borrow/sale, play groups, local events, debates and all sorts.

#13 of 21 Old 01-10-2011, 06:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AuroraMT View Post

If either of you are moving to central Vermont look up Mamasays on yahoo groups. It's a great source of info for natural parenting as well as items for trade/borrow/sale, play groups, local events, debates and all sorts.

Thanks for the tip! I'm feeling like there won't be ANYTHING by way of natural parenting up there but mostly I think that's dh's family (who have grown kids so don't know about the world of young families any more). I joined the vermont homeschool yahoo group and we've met up with one other family already!

We'll be in the NW part of the state but might still be worth checking into Mamasays.

Emilyash - what part of VT will you be moving to?

#14 of 21 Old 01-11-2011, 10:55 AM - Thread Starter

I still think it'll be worth it. I see people posting on there from a ways away but it is postly center in central VT. I think you'll find a natural movement. It might take a bit more time. Not to mention it'll give you a heads up for day trip worthy events. Hardwick and Craftsbury have good scenes if you dig a little. Also Johnson and Lamoille county can be cool. They are pretty northern.

Good luck!

#15 of 21 Old 01-20-2011, 09:20 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)

RI is getting better.  I work at the YMCA and I know of two families there that cloth diaper.  I was so psyched to speak to them.  And I do see moms with babies in ergos sometimes and I saw an amber teething necklace just a week or two ago.  Also, one family I'm friendly with is an extended breastfeeding family(the youngest baby is 14months and still frequently nursing IN PUBLIC no less!)  So there are some naturally minded folks out there but we can be hard to find in my experience.

treehugger.gifjog.gifgreenthumb.gifknit.gifnamaste.gif

#16 of 21 Old 01-20-2011, 09:28 AM
2xy

edited for privacy

#17 of 21 Old 01-21-2011, 12:53 PM

There's also Trader Joe's in Warwick.

I don't know of ANY natural-dads groups in RI... although I've talked to several people who seem interested so maybe the husbands can get one going!! My DH currently comes to some of our mom's group meetups :) 

There are way more AP/natural families here than I thought when DS was first born. It's just a matter of finding them!! 

Co-sleeping is really wonderful when your child actually SLEEPS!! familybed1.gif
#18 of 21 Old 01-24-2011, 03:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fancyoats View Post

for homebirth midwives, michelle palmer (whose practice is being taken over by mary mumford haley while michelle is overseas) and sue smith are your options.  sue is based in uxbridge mass, but she attends births in ri and she is great.  very experienced and hands off unless the situation requires.  she attended my homebirth at the end of november 2010 -- a footling breech.  she is one of the only care providers to have experience delivering breech babies.

the ap playgroup is not so active in the wintertime, but when the weather gets nice enough for playground picnics, it meets at least weekly at one playground or another on the east side of pvd.  right now it is most active over email through a yahoo group, but we'll start organizing an mdc thread in the spring.

There are also Midwives in CT who travel into RI. pm me for info

Im a broc1.giflovinghippie.giffly-by-nursing2.gifcd.gif  novaxnocirc.gif
#19 of 21 Old 01-24-2011, 06:02 PM

I work in Providence, and I can say that it is very friendly to babywearers.  I keep coming across more wonderful people, each day.  I teach there at an independent school, I'll send you a message :) 

Welcome to the area! 

Jessie:  Mother of 3 daughters, 2006 and twins 2008.

AMS Trained Montessori Primary Teacher, M. Ed, and Homeschooler.....life is good!!!

#20 of 21 Old 03-01-2011, 06:46 PM

So glad to hear more families are choosing to live in RI! I am a homeschooling, AP style mother, doula and photographer and I am happy to say that this community continues to astound me with its ability to overcome close mindedness! As someone else mentioned the AP group is wonderful and the Home Birth Collective is really trying to build a community around home birth here in RI. Here's the link to the facebook page- we don't have a website yet... and WELCOME!

https://www.facebook.com/?ref=logo#!/home.php?sk=group_167438153286426&ap=1

#21 of 21 Old 03-08-2011, 04:39 PM

There's a new Providence Dad's group that is going to meet twice a month for a daddy and baby yoga group.  I don't know if they are planning on doing anything else but someone posted this in the RI Natural mom's meetup group today.  

http://providencedads.com/

Also, here is the natural mom's group meetup page.  http://www.meetup.com/Natural-Moms-RI/  I know there are a few homeschoolers in there.  

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page