BirthTUB options in MA??? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 6 Old 01-10-2011, 07:32 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)

i have looked through our Tribe posts from the last 4 years and need some updated info. I am 27 weeks pg with #2. Had a natural birth in a big Boston hospital with DS. It wasn't perfect, but overall the nurses were great and adhered to my birth plan and helped get me through the delivery (second to DH and my doula). I did not like the Dr AT ALL who ended up "delivering" my son, but that is another WHOLE story. I do love my OB, she is very laid back, supportive of all of my natural wishes, lets me decline tests, etc..BUT of course, the chances of her attending my birth are about 10-20%.

I really want a waterbirth. After having gone through 17 hours of natural L&D with DS, including 4+ hours of pushing, I just KNOW that the water will help me with the pain during L, and help me save some of my strength for the pushing phase (which hopefully will be easier with #2!...everyone assures me it will be).

So here are my questions:

--- Is there anywhere that allows for actual waterBIRTH, not just laboring (like NWH) in Eastern MA? I wasn't quite sure from PPs about Tobey or Jordon?

--- Has anyone ever brought an inflatable tub to a hospital in MA? My OB got it "approved" by the head nurse at the big Boston hospital, but I still am not 100% on what this means. (Will we have time to fill it up, how will we fill it up, keep the water hot, will the staff be so uncomfortable with it that it will make me nervous and add unneeded stress/fear). 
I know we'd have to get there earlier this time to set that up, and also b/c it *may* go faster this time (with #1 I arrived at the hospital at 9.75 cm).

I've read a ton of posts in the Birth forum to learn about the use of tubs, so I at least have an idea. But I am still not sure what to do. 
NOTE: i am also seriously considering switching to NW Midwives and delivering at NWH, but i can't get over leaving my trusted OB for the unknown, esp when it's just another hosptial, though "natural-friendly" my overall experience in Boston was NOT as bad as I know others have experienced in hospitals all over...BUT i do love the fact that they have perma tubs and are accustomed to using them (unlike bringing in an inflatable to a hospital w/o tubs).

Oh, and yes, i would LOVE a HB, but DH will NOT go for it. I will work on him for #3 :) and hopefully we will be in a house by then with a big jacuzzi tub :-) Right now we live in a condo with thin walls...

Thanks for any advice/info you can provide!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 6 Old 01-11-2011, 12:44 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Jordan is doing waterbirths, or so a MW told me.

#3 of 6 Old 01-11-2011, 05:05 PM

Tobey does not let you birth in the tub, but you can labor there. A dear friend of mine just delivered there with Louise last month, and she had a great birth regardless!

Come ponder with me about food!
#4 of 6 Old 01-11-2011, 10:14 PM

I am on the same search myself. We are having our first, and my partner is supportive of my desire to have a midwife rather than an OB (my mother, on the other hand...ugh) and we are both extremely interested in water-birth.  I have heard that the midwives at Mt. Auburn offer water birth, so I will be contacting them tomorrow. They also have a "Meet the Midwives" Night which is great, and I'm sad I missed the last one....they are hosting another in Feburary, so if you're interested in Mt. Auburn, that night is a great opportunity to ask questions and build a relationship with a potential midwife.

Expecting first child1sttri.gif with DP in August 2011joy.gif eager to be a breastfeeding, winner.jpg baby-wearing femalesling.GIF mama! delayedvax.gif
#5 of 6 Old 01-12-2011, 01:53 PM

I asked this on the doula group (also for birth support/advocates) Joyce Kimball offered the summary below from a list that is being developed.  I know Tobey has tubs- but doesn't want moms pushing in them and Jordan in 2007 had a waterbirth option- I just don't know the current situation.   Also, South Shore Midwifery is now working at Jordan Hospital so SSM might have some new ideas/resources on this.  Definitely call around and ask.  Wishing you a beautiful pregnancy and peaceful birth! -jessica

1.  places in Eastern MA that allow water births:

·         Mt. Auburn – regular sized tubs in 3 labor and delivery rooms, shower in every room, aquadoula available for water birth

·         North Shore Birth Center – 2 rooms both with tubs for water births

·         Beverly Hospital – regular size tubs with jets in all labor rooms, water birth available

·         Cambridge Birth Center – 3 tubs (2 are large and deep, 1 is a larger tub), water birth available

2.  I have heard of folks that have brought a tub, hoses, attachments to fill a tub at a hospital that doesn’t have one but I have never actually seen one.  I think mom has to be a very strong advocate and partner needs to be fully committed to being completely in charge of setting up the tub and filling the tub and emptying the tub to bring a tub from home to the hospital.

Jessica..lady.gifintactlact.gif Falling in love all over again..... 
Dhprivateeyes.gif, Joshua rolleyes.gif Rebeccagrouphug.gifand dog2.gif.    candle.gif for Laura
#6 of 6 Old 01-13-2011, 01:41 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)

ladies thanks for the responses. Unfortunatly looks like the options are all on the North Shore or Cambridge, none of which would work for me. We're moving farther south (in MA) sometime too (could be anytime depending on when we sell and find).

Since SSM now work with Jordan I will check them out.

I will probably end up bringing my own tub to hospital but heading there earlier on in the process to allow set up time. Will have DH and doula to take the lead while I labor.

Thanks!

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page