Mercy Hospital in Springfield, MA (or other suggestions?) - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 7 Old 01-20-2011, 04:19 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

I did not live here when I had my son. The midwife practice I am currently using and Mercy Hospital are all new to me. I am now beginning to question if I have made the right choice. 

I LOOOOVE my midwife. I found her on my best friend's suggestion and our personalities mesh very well. That being said, when I asked her for doula suggestions she admitted that she RARELY works with doulas. I have the choice of using Baystate or Mercy. Out of the two, I would prefer Mercy, but as I search for local doulas I am hardpressed to find many that are familiar with Mercy. Not that they have to be, but now I am wondering why. Is Mercy just so supportive that doulas aren't needed? Or is it just the opposite? Or maybe they tend to serve a different type of mama? 

Anyone with any insight would be greatly appreciate? 

#2 of 7 Old 01-21-2011, 03:50 PM

Hi OneFishTwoFish,

I had my kids at Holyoke Hospital but I do know that Baystate runs a volunteer doula program (my doula for my 2 daughters started it) so they must be familiar with doulas and have experience with having them at births...I don't have any experience with Mercy - sorry about that..

good luck!

ebferris

#3 of 7 Old 01-21-2011, 05:34 PM

I too had my kids at Holyoke Hospital (love the midwives there).  I don't know much about either Mercy or Baystate but I know that Franklin Medical Center up in Greenfield is part of the Baystate system.  From what I understand (and i have no personal experience there), Franklin is a great place to deliver and I'm pretty sure, used to working with doulas.  I know it is far, but would you be able to use Franklin?

Mama to DD1 2007, DS 2009, DD2 2012, What a Journey this parenting thing is...

#4 of 7 Old 01-22-2011, 04:44 AM - Thread Starter

Thank you ladies! It's funny that you both mention Holyoke. The doula I spoke to the other night mentioned it as well. Really gave me something to think about. Sometimes I forget that I'm not locked in with my current midwife, ya know? Although I do like her. And she was very honest when she said they prefer Mercy to Baystate. It sounds to me like Baystate, perhaps due to it's size, is not as accommodating. 

Holyoke is definitely closer than Greenfield, as I am in Palmer. Hubby works in Holyoke so it's not a bad drive at all. Less than 25 mins I believe. 

#5 of 7 Old 01-23-2011, 05:59 AM

If Holyoke is an option for you, definitely check it out!  Good luck with everything.

Mama to DD1 2007, DS 2009, DD2 2012, What a Journey this parenting thing is...

#6 of 7 Old 01-26-2011, 05:03 PM

Mass does a great job of publicizing its birth statistics. YOu may want to check out this website to see where your hospital choices differ from each other, and how they line up with your ideas on birth.

http://www.mass.gov/Eeohhs2/docs/dph/research_epi/birth_report_2007.pdf

#7 of 7 Old 02-07-2011, 10:15 AM - Thread Starter

Thank you again for all of your suggestions and advice! I found out today that my midwife is leaving the practice at the end of this month. I was so sad, but it did prompt a very nice and helpful conversation about Mercy vs. Holyoke. The MW knows most of the women in that practice and she spoke VERY highly of them. She also said I may have less of a struggle with Holyoke since they seem to be a little more hands off. Where as with Mercy they do certain things as an automatic response and because the majority of their patients don't question it, I would be the odd one. Not that I would have to FIGHT them, but I would have to remind them at least.

So we'll see. I am going to consult with Holyoke and go from there. 

Thanks again!

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page