Cambridge Birth Center 2011 Update - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 8 Old 02-09-2011, 01:35 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Can I get an update on those who have had experience at the Cambridge Birth Center? The latest review on MDC that I've seen on here was 2009. I'm concerned that my, ahem, advanced maternal age, will be a concern with them. I live near the airport so some Newton Wellesley might be too far as my previous births were fairly speedy.

#2 of 8 Old 03-03-2011, 11:01 AM

Check with Beth Hardiman at Mt. Auburn. She is an OB, but better than the CNM options in the area.

#3 of 8 Old 03-06-2011, 03:16 PM

Please pm me before considering Hardiman. She is not all she seems to be.

#4 of 8 Old 03-06-2011, 05:21 PM

I had two out of the ordinary experiences with Beth Hardiman that left me eternally grateful and with immense respect for her as doctor and as a compassionate wonderful person. Please feel free to PM me.

#5 of 8 Old 03-07-2011, 03:14 PM

I agree with both masha366 AND goestoshow.  Beth Hardiman has both positives and negatives.  She delivered my first, and while there were things that happened during the birth that didn't impress me about Beth, she still showed more patience, respect, and  compassion than I could imagine an OB would.  I'm not sure if I'll go back to her for my next, but I've got a good perspective on her now.  Feel free to PM me if you'd like details.

#6 of 8 Old 04-20-2011, 03:36 PM

I did my first prenatal appointment at the Cambridge Birth Center and didn't love it. Ultimately, we've decided to do home birth. The midwife I saw at the CBC had a terrible attitude while telling me about their policy re: psychological evaluation if you've had a mental health history. I had told her that a few years ago I saw a therapist for 2 years for adjustment and some mild depression and that I'm in the mental health field and value therapeutic supports. She then said that I would either need to have my therapist write a letter or see a clinician at the hospital for an evaluation because they want to make sure that women are "all there" while pointing to her head due to their early discharges. I found her tone and other things she insinuated about women who might have depression/anxiety or other mental health issues pretty rude, judgmental and disrespectful. She then tried to tell me that home birth was illegal in Massachusetts when I mentioned that we were still trying to decide. 

Granted, my experience was just with one midwife there and I don't know much about their other policies, except that I've heard that there's very low tolerance for "risk" and a high transfer rate to the hospital. 

My home birth midwife did say that other women have been put off by the CBC's policy re: mental health history. 

#7 of 8 Old 04-21-2011, 03:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lauriemsw View Post

I did my first prenatal appointment at the Cambridge Birth Center and didn't love it. Ultimately, we've decided to do home birth. The midwife I saw at the CBC had a terrible attitude while telling me about their policy re: psychological evaluation if you've had a mental health history. I had told her that a few years ago I saw a therapist for 2 years for adjustment and some mild depression and that I'm in the mental health field and value therapeutic supports. She then said that I would either need to have my therapist write a letter or see a clinician at the hospital for an evaluation because they want to make sure that women are "all there" while pointing to her head due to their early discharges. I found her tone and other things she insinuated about women who might have depression/anxiety or other mental health issues pretty rude, judgmental and disrespectful. She then tried to tell me that home birth was illegal in Massachusetts when I mentioned that we were still trying to decide. 

Granted, my experience was just with one midwife there and I don't know much about their other policies, except that I've heard that there's very low tolerance for "risk" and a high transfer rate to the hospital. 

My home birth midwife did say that other women have been put off by the CBC's policy re: mental health history. 

i have my first appointment with heidi tomorrow.  based on this information, i think i'll keep my "mental health history" to myself.  i was treated for OCD and depression 2001-2006, but i'm fine now.  i definitely don't need to be evaluated.

#8 of 8 Old 05-01-2011, 07:57 PM

I had a complicated experience at the birth center...although my pre-natal care was great I ended up birthing at the hospital and am still pretty traumatized by the whole thing.  I have heard that Mt. Auburn midwives are a good option and I will definitely look into it for my next experience.  Because I had a cesarean I will not be eligible to birth at the center and I do not want to end up at the hospital again.  I also had issues with the way they do things in terms of the luck of the draw with who is the midwife that will help you during your birth.  My doula that they gave me was out of town during my birth even though she said she had no plans....  At Mt. Auburn you are at the hospital but the feeling I get is that the hospital environment is less hospital-like then at Cambridge.  PM me if you would like any more info and good luck!!  

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page