Springfield/Northampton - recommendations for toddler & preschool aged kids - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 4 Old 02-12-2011, 10:06 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Hello all!

My little family will be moving to the Pioneer Valley later this spring.  I'll be starting work in Springfield, and so we are looking at communities up and down the valley, convenient to 91.  We hope to find an area that has good community and events for kids - library story times, parks, etc.  Also, we will both need to work full-time so we are looking for leads on good places to for our kids, either daycare, or preschool for my elder.  They will be 13 months and 3.5 years when we get there.  

Please sing the praises of your area - help me to narrow my geographic focus!  I would like to hear about anything that your toddler or preschooler likes about your town.  

Thanks,

Wobit 

full time student, crunchy wife to my woodsy man, and mom to 2 homebirthed, cloth diapered, tandem breastfed kiddos. 
#2 of 4 Old 02-16-2011, 08:58 PM

We moved to the Pioneer Valley about 3 years ago, and we LOVE it.  We landed in Sunderland, which we really like, but I don't think you can go wrong in any of the surrounding towns.  South Deerfield, Amherst, Hadley, Northampton, South Hadley.  All have great libraries and good family communities. and events.

So many good preschools too.  I teach at Amherst Montessori, so I'm biased  :)  but Cushman Scott Children's Center, Fort Hill Center for Early Childhood, The Renaissance School...lots of good places.  Tough to find a spot for an infant, but if you can hang on a couple months, once your little one is 15 months, there are many more options.

Good luck settling in!

Laura, mama to Abel, age 12.
also caregiver to many other creatures...
#3 of 4 Old 02-17-2011, 12:02 PM

Hampshire College Children's Center is a great child care option for an infant (and beyond). It's right by the Eric Carle museum (another great resource!).

#4 of 4 Old 02-17-2011, 02:45 PM

We loved Sunnyside Childcare Center in Northampton for our LO. Kind people, a wonderful atmosphere. I liked it that they weren't too heavily focused on 'school readiness'... plenty of time for play and exploration.

Michelle L'Esperance, Certified Professional Midwife ~ Warm Welcome Birth Services

Homebirth Midwife, Birth Doula, Postnatal Doula, Night Doula, and Doula Trainer

Northampton, Massachusetts

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page