Mothering Forum banner

Push to make homebirth ILLEGAL in CT ***hearing on March 10th***

1K views 7 replies 6 participants last post by  Beccasteve03 
#1 ·
The Connecticut Department of Health's Medical Examining Board previously ruled that Midwifery is the UNLAWFUL Practice of Medicine. An appeal to this ruling has been filed in a court of law and arguments will be heard March 10th.

These proceedings may dictate future access to Homebirth by indepedent midwives or CPM's. If this issue is close to your heart, please come to the New Britain courthouse to show your SUPPORT for Independent Homebirth Midwifery.

#4 ·
What time on the 10th? I have a midwife appointment that day, appropriately, but would love to show support!

Also, I'm new to CT from NY where we just had amazing success legalizing homebirth after our midwives lost their written practice agreements. However most homebirth midwives in NYC are CNMs or CMs. Just out of curiosity, do any CNMs serve homebirth in CT? Where we've just moved (Norwalk) there seems to be only one or two homebirth midwives available, both CPMs.

Thanks!

#5 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by BarefootinBrooklyn View Post

What time on the 10th? I have a midwife appointment that day, appropriately, but would love to show support!

Also, I'm new to CT from NY where we just had amazing success legalizing homebirth after our midwives lost their written practice agreements. However most homebirth midwives in NYC are CNMs or CMs. Just out of curiosity, do any CNMs serve homebirth in CT? Where we've just moved (Norwalk) there seems to be only one or two homebirth midwives available, both CPMs.

Thanks!
It's at 10am in the New Britain Superior Court, 20 Franklin Square, New Britain. There's a public parking garage behind the courthouse.
It's in Judge Henry Cohn's Courtroom, which is 3F on the third floor. If you are on Facebook, there is more info here-

http://www.facebook.com/#!/event.php?eid=112304405513636

In CT, CNMs can legally attend homebirths though there are some hoops they have to jump through to do so. Hence only *one* practice of CNMs that attend homebirths currently here. This hearing pertains to CPMs and lay/traditional midwives. As of right now, the state does not regulate or license CPMs so while it's not illegal for them to attend births it's also not necessarily legal either, if that makes sense. They are not so much trying to make homebirth illegal in CT, as much as *who* can attend to a woman birthing at home.

#6 ·
Thanks Clovergirl

I personally do not know any CNM's who would attend a homebirth even as as a observer as the liability is often too much a deterrant. So unfortunately if you want a homebirth you have to go with the CPM. I can attest to 3 of them personally, and I often refer people to Janet Hall who owns BirthPartners as an invaluable reference. As the states oldest practicing doula, she knows the ins and outs of every hospital, dr, and midwife.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.