Question for those who zero vax or delayed vax. - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 13 Old 02-23-2011, 08:51 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

I'm delivering in RI but anyone could answer this question.

How did you inform your hospital to NOT give your baby the HepB vaccine on the day they are born?   Did you have to sign papers? A special waiver? Did they allow it? Who do you menton it to? The nurses? The physician? Your OB? Pediatrician? This is my first baby so I don't know what to expect.

I'm so worried that they will ignore my request to not vaccinate the baby with the HepB vaccine.

If its not too much to ask, could you also share the name of the hospital you used?

Thank you so much everyone.

#2 of 13 Old 02-23-2011, 10:38 AM

I had my son at Newport Hospital (which is an awesome place, absolutely beautiful and they do water births!).  They asked me about HepB, and I just said no thanks, we'd address it through our pediatrician.  It was no big deal at all.

They also got liquid vitamin K rather than a shot, and were very respectful of our decision to not circumcise, room-in, delay cord clamping, turn the lights down low, breastfeed with the cord still attached and generally have a pretty awesome birth.  I did consent to the blood testing, and they let me breastfeed him through it.

#3 of 13 Old 02-23-2011, 04:39 PM

this is how I'm handling it- I'm not letting anyone take the baby away..for anything.  I'm declining everything (vit K, hep B, eye stuff, even the bath), it's completely legal in RI, it's your decision.  Make sure your provider knows, and tell the nurses right after the birth.  Make sure your partner/support person goes with the baby anywhere they may take it so they can be sure nothing is being done that you don't want.  I don't think you have to sign anything (although take note of everything you sign upon entering the hospital in labor and pre-registration).  Doesn't hurt to have it in your birth plan also, but you still need to speak up and say something because nurses don't always read them/remember.  I see Deb White at Tollgate OB-GYN in Warwick, she and the two other midwives there deliver at Kent County Hospital, she is supportive of everything I've wanted for this birth (my third, second with her). 

Christian SAHM & birth doula.
#4 of 13 Old 02-23-2011, 04:50 PM

I had trouble with some things but the HepB wasn't a big deal at all. When I got there in labor, they had a bunch of paperwork for me to sign, and right in there was the consent/refuse form for HepB, and they just wrote REFUSED across it. Not an issue at all, and I got the impression from them as well as from the pedi we saw for DS's first ~6mos that many people refused or delay the HepB for various reasons.

We used Kent.

Co-sleeping is really wonderful when your child actually SLEEPS!! familybed1.gif
#5 of 13 Old 02-24-2011, 07:19 AM

Most of the hospitals in RI are fine with skipping the Hep B as long as you let them know.  The smaller community hospitals (like Kent and Newport, mentioned above, and also Memorial Hospital in Pawtucket) tend to be more willing to accommodate birth preferences, in general.

treehugger.gif
#6 of 13 Old 02-25-2011, 06:38 AM

I'm delivering at Memorial in April and my midwife told me that they will not do the Hep B shot without asking and it's not an issue at all to refuse.  I'm sure she is correct with this info.  Good luck!

heartbeat.gif Loving wife to DH of 7 years and Mama to Colton - April 13, 2011baby.gif

#7 of 13 Old 02-25-2011, 11:12 PM

I delivered in Boston.  It was no big deal.  We refused everything- eye drops, vit K, hep B, circ.  When they gave me the blanket consent to sign, I crossed off several sections and made a note on it about what we were refusing.  I also wrote a letter ahead of time and made copies to hand out.  I didn't let my kids out of my sight except for the hearing test, and my husband went along for that.  So it wasn't really an issue at all.  The staff didn't seem to mind.  The hospital pediatritian asked if our pedi knew that we weren't vaccinating at birth with hep b, and I told him he did.  That was that.

-chelsea dust.gif
#8 of 13 Old 02-26-2011, 03:43 PM
Banned

I delivered in Wareham and I made it very clear to my MW (Louise) that we were not doing Hep B. She of course was cool with it.

I think at the hospital I mentioned it 3 times while I was in labor and then immediately after DD was born I made sure DH watched them like a hawk while they weighed her

and I said it loudly again...

The morning of our discharge the Pediatrician checked DD out, asked why we didn't do the Hep B vax. I said because I was tested and negative..His response "well the tests can be wrong." I said excuse me? He mumbled something and I said well since I know I DON'T HAVE HEP B (I really did almost yell it) then I guess DD doesn't need it....The guy was a total UAV, he scared us into getting the eye crap because DD's eyes were runny and we asked and he said she might go blind because we didn't do the eye goop. I was tired and even though I knew it was BS in my new mommy brain I panicked. "I don't want my baby to go blind!"...

Just be prepared, I honestly didn't have a problem with anyone until the Ped the morning we left. 

#9 of 13 Old 03-21-2011, 04:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Farm Girl 623 View Post

I'm delivering at Memorial in April and my midwife told me that they will not do the Hep B shot without asking and it's not an issue at all to refuse.  I'm sure she is correct with this info.  Good luck!

Me too :)

married 11/06, DD May 2009, DS  April 2011successful, natural 9lbs 6ozvbac.gif

#10 of 13 Old 03-21-2011, 10:36 PM

I had dd2 in Manchester, CT, and it was a non-issue.  I gave my birth plan to pretty much anyone and everyone though and they followed it to a T. 

#11 of 13 Old 04-05-2011, 11:53 AM

I delivered in Boston and I told anyone who would listen that I'm refusing these things. It was in my birth plan and I never let the baby out of my sight. If they wanted to take the baby for some 'procedure' or do something I would ask what and refuse on the spot. I don't remember having to sing any waivers and frankly I wouldn't this time either. You have to consent to anything mandated not the other way around.  People were pretty respectful except for the Nosey Ped whose eyes nearly popped out of her head when I said NO thanks to Rhogham since both father and I are RH- and both of my kids are -. Other than that be vocal to anyone wanting to touch the baby and send your support people to watch like hawks. I'm just saying... trust but verify the hospital staff ;)

Working Mamma Bear to Buggy, Bean, and Surprise. Getting crunchier by the second... 
#12 of 13 Old 04-07-2011, 08:15 AM

I delivered at St. Vincents in Worcester. With both my boys everyone was on board, and I had no issues. Except for the backup pediatrician who came in to visit while I was in labor. I was in DEEP labor, like major pain and dealing completely naturally, and this guy kept questioning me and telling me that it was such a bad choice and asking me where I got my information from. I was patient for quite a while. But he persisted, and I basically told him in a loud voice that I would be happy to discuss my research with him WHEN I AM NOT ABOUT TO PUSH A BABY OUT! He finally went away.

I mean, really. What an A$$. So it can be just one person in the mix of many wonderful souls to cause trouble.

#13 of 13 Old 04-07-2011, 08:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pjsmom30 View Post

I delivered at St. Vincents in Worcester. With both my boys everyone was on board, and I had no issues. Except for the backup pediatrician who came in to visit while I was in labor. I was in DEEP labor, like major pain and dealing completely naturally, and this guy kept questioning me and telling me that it was such a bad choice and asking me where I got my information from. I was patient for quite a while. But he persisted, and I basically told him in a loud voice that I would be happy to discuss my research with him WHEN I AM NOT ABOUT TO PUSH A BABY OUT! He finally went away.

I mean, really. What an A$$. So it can be just one person in the mix of many wonderful souls to cause trouble.

That ped was so NOT essential in your labor and delivery. I would have thrown him out immediately at the first sign of an interrogation. I actually did that with an arrogant student who came in. I said "what is your role here" and he haid student and I said "you need to leave"... he was shocked. I'm sure if you told a Ped that it would be worst but you can always blame it on labor delirium. but yeah you tend to remember the ass in the deck of otherwise wonderful cards :)

Working Mamma Bear to Buggy, Bean, and Surprise. Getting crunchier by the second... 

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page