what does new england need as far as an advocacy group? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 10 Old 03-09-2011, 07:39 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

hi ladies

via my holistic moms chapter meeting, ive become involved with some ladies working on a vaccine conference in Boston this spring.  We are working with Mark Blaxill, Lousie and Mary, the authors of vaccine epidemic, and some local broadcasters who either have vax injured kids or chose not to vaccinate.  Our group, when we form it officially, will sponsor the conference.  What I would love all of your opinions on is the following...

1 - should we limit ourselves to vaccine danger awareness/exemption advocacy or should we include broader topics, such as childhood toxic exposure to not only vaccines, but fluoride, food chemicals, etc

2 - should we be a Mass only group,  a new england group,  or a national group?

3 - should we focus on children only or the whole person?

4 - should we be moms only or broader?

Thanks for your input!

Erin photosmile2.gif  treehugger.gif, DH jammin.gif ,  Mumma to Chase 7/08 superhero.gif and babyf.gif Griff 3/13

MTHFR C677T Homozygous, M/C 2/07 @ 6wks, 12/10 @8wks, 10/11@7wks, 2/12 @4wks.... 

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 10 Old 03-09-2011, 11:27 AM

1. Include 'Natural Living' topics (not just vaccine awareness.)

2. New England

3. Focus on children of all ages (up to age 22) and women.

4. Moms

Independent Consultant- Thirty One Gifts www.mythirtyone.com/ShopLiz

Origami Owl http://lizcioci.origamiowl.com

#3 of 10 Old 03-09-2011, 02:49 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Id love to attend a conference on all childhood toxics.

I'm 22 and would like to be considered a mom not child at this conference smile.gif
Maybe using "through adolescence" would be a broader term.
cause our HMN/parents group has an AP, conscious mama who is just 18 and would probably be bothered by that..and she's a married active SAHM. Doesn't bug me personally though, I'm the proudest young mama you can ever find!!
Why would you choose Mass only? Any specific reason other than location of the event?
#4 of 10 Old 03-09-2011, 06:05 PM

The reason I said 22 is because I know so many moms who have special needs kids that are near or at age 22 and are trying to find a local group to fit in.

Many health insurance companies keep kids on the parent's insurance until age 21 or 22.

Laur- I'm not saying that someone isn't an adult at that age, I'm just hoping topics would include older 'children'.  Most of the moms I'm friends with are more than twice your age...Myself included.  It's not easy finding groups where we fit in (so many groups focus on younger moms and young children.)

Hope that makes sense.  I'm overtired and my brain is fuzzy.

Independent Consultant- Thirty One Gifts www.mythirtyone.com/ShopLiz

Origami Owl http://lizcioci.origamiowl.com

#5 of 10 Old 03-10-2011, 10:09 AM

1 - should we limit ourselves to vaccine danger awareness/exemption advocacy or should we include broader topics, such as childhood toxic exposure to not only vaccines, but fluoride, food chemicals, etc

Don't limit to only vaccines - toxins, flouride, food chemicals - all great topics that I would like to hear more about!

2 - should we be a Mass only group,  a new england group,  or a national group?

definitely don't limit to Mass (especially with RI, NH, VT, ME and CT so close by)...but maybe hold off on national until you see how the first year goes...

3 - should we focus on children only or the whole person?

I say focus on children...but would also cover pregnancy, post-partum etc.

4 - should we be moms only or broader?

not sure...I'm sure some Dads would be interested too and maybe even some health professionals, but if the conference is focusing on children/moms, they would likely be the interested target group.

Very exciting, can't wait to hear more!

Homeschooling catholic vegan Mama to my boysjumpers.gif Simon (7), Keegan (5), Ezra (2) and ??? due November
#6 of 10 Old 03-21-2011, 07:03 AM

Sounds exciting. But I would say focus on parents, not just moms. I am afraid that the focus on mom just reinforces that they are primarily in charge of parenting. The more that all parents and primary caregivers (grandparents sometimes too), I think the more people you can reach and the more we can reinforce the idea that caring for children is for everyone - especially all parents, moms and dads.

Exciting work!

#7 of 10 Old 03-27-2011, 09:41 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)

thank you for clarifying. any updates?

#8 of 10 Old 03-27-2011, 09:52 AM

I would love to attend a conference on all these topics. I am in Rhode Island and think there would be a large group of parents who would attend from Rhody, so including all of New England would be my vote. I agree with ejg123 also, focus on "parents" as opposed to just "moms". My DH is just as much of a force in our parenting as I am and I'm sure he would enjoy a conference like this as well. Keep us posted! Great work!!!!!!!

A Mommy In Love!!!

#9 of 10 Old 04-15-2011, 08:11 PM

Thank you for doing this work.  It's about time.  I would focus primarily on the vaccine issue but other issues like flouride in drinking water, food preservatives, pesticides etc. also will be relevant within this topic.  Definitely make it a New England group.  Focus on the whole person, and for the last I feel that the group should not be limited to moms only because why limit it when there are so many people who are passionate about this issue.  Again thank you for doing this work.  

#10 of 10 Old 05-10-2011, 05:32 PM - Thread Starter

girls thank you for all of your input.  I am sorry I have been so busy with this and my real job that I forgot to come back.  Our group will be legally formed this month, and the conference is on for Nov 5th with Dr. Bob Sears and Robyn O'Brien as keynote speakers.  We'll cover a bunch of topics and have a big Q&A in the afternoon.  More details to come, and we'll likely be buying MDC advertising so you will see it there.  If anyone wants to join in our efforts, we need more help.  PM me :)

Erin photosmile2.gif  treehugger.gif, DH jammin.gif ,  Mumma to Chase 7/08 superhero.gif and babyf.gif Griff 3/13

MTHFR C677T Homozygous, M/C 2/07 @ 6wks, 12/10 @8wks, 10/11@7wks, 2/12 @4wks.... 

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page