Feedback on Women's Health Associates and Newton-Wellesley Hospital? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 12 Old 04-05-2011, 06:13 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

I know there have been some threads reviewing Women's Health Associates in Wellesley and Newton-Wellesley Hospital previously, but things are getting a bit more personal now, so I was hoping to check for even more feedback if possible. :)  Due to a couple of factors, I'm worried that I might get risked out of homebirth (if we could find the money), and if that's the case, I'd rather have care providers who I can get to know and trust ahead of time.

For people who used WHA (especially in the past year or two) - if you would be willing to PM me (so as not to break the rules) with details or feelings about your experience, I would love to get any information possible.  I'm especially interested in how it was dealing with the hospital with regards to the baby - it sounds like the midwives have a good deal of leeway with the mother's care, but there's a lot more hospital policy that might be hard to get after the baby is born.  I'm also interested in info as to how the midwives interact with the related doctor practice, whether a doula is still helpful (I'm thinking yes, even if just at home first?), and really, any information you'd like to provide (I love birth stories). :)

Thanks so much!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 12 Old 06-17-2011, 07:19 PM

We chose Women's Health Associates for our first birth. Unfortunately they made the decision to abruptly terminate us as clients during our third trimester.

We are very disappointed by the way we were treated, and now we are scrambling to find a new care team to handle our prenatal care and birth.
#3 of 12 Old 06-24-2011, 05:55 PM - Thread Starter

Thank you for the information!  I've PM'd you as well, but I hope that you find new care easily and in time.

#4 of 12 Old 06-28-2011, 05:32 PM

We used them for my daughter's birth and my wife and I were both very dissatisfied by her care from Women's Health Associates. I'd be happy to talk about it in detail if you want to PM me.

Beth, SAHM to the little french goose, 6/17/09 and my little panda bear 2/6/12. I nursed with low supply, domperidone and a lact-aid for 18 months!
#5 of 12 Old 06-30-2011, 06:51 AM

I would highly recommend the HV W. Roxbury or Wellesley practices of their nurse midwives or Women's Health Associates. They are fantastic and have much more leeway than WHA with their docs of offering midwifery care.

::: Just another WAHM using this forum to put off picking up toys and cleaning my house.
#6 of 12 Old 07-06-2011, 10:18 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks to all the people who have commented so far!  I'm still dithering on trying out the Harvard Vanguard midwives (mostly due to inertia, I guess), so if anyone else has information to add, please do so. :)

I also attempted to send some PMs and was told that I hit a daily limit, so anyone I haven't managed to contact for more information (xmasbaby7 at least), please go ahead and PM me with more details if you have a few minutes.

#7 of 12 Old 07-08-2011, 01:44 PM

I've really liked my pre-natal care with the Harvard Vanguard midwives.

#1 stork-boy.gif born after IVF.

#8 of 12 Old 07-08-2011, 06:19 PM

I had an amazing experience with WHA in February.  Happy to answer any specific questions you may have.

#9 of 12 Old 07-24-2011, 08:14 PM

Where do those midwives (at Harvard Vanguard?) go for delivery? Thanks!

#10 of 12 Old 07-25-2011, 12:18 AM

The Wellesley CNMs go to NW Hospital and the W. Roxbury go there, too, but Naomi Feingold of that practice also goes to the Brigham and works with the Kenmore Square practice.

::: Just another WAHM using this forum to put off picking up toys and cleaning my house.
#11 of 12 Old 07-25-2011, 05:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ess3 View Post

Thanks to all the people who have commented so far!  I'm still dithering on trying out the Harvard Vanguard midwives (mostly due to inertia, I guess), so if anyone else has information to add, please do so. :)

I also attempted to send some PMs and was told that I hit a daily limit, so anyone I haven't managed to contact for more information (xmasbaby7 at least), please go ahead and PM me with more details if you have a few minutes.

I delivered my daughter w/ them in 3/06.  I'd planned to use the birth center but they abruptly closed it at the end of my 1st tri.  I ended up having an almost perfect experience.  The midwife I had was great at keeping the nurses from me.  I was the only mother in labor so they were kind of bored :)  so my midwife did a really good job.  The only issue I had was that a nurse insisted I be monitored at one point when I was at the pushing stage - I had managed to avoid that for the most part - and they got a bad reading.  So then they whipped in all the special forces and said if this baby doesn't come out on this push we're vacuuming her out!!  So I got her out all right.  To the tune of a very bad tear :/  I don't blame my midwife at all, though.  She did the best she could.  But the reading was clearly bad and they didn't give a chance to make sure of that.  My girl came out perfect and w/ a 9 apgar.  I am still using them again for my impending birth in September.  The only midwife there from 06 is Valeree.  I am hopeful that she is the one on duty when I go into labor.  I trust her to be a good advocate and not to alarm me unnecessarily.  I like the other two fine but I feel more on the same page w/ Valeree, I guess.  Although I had a m/c last year and Colleen was really lovely to me.  I didn't feel like I needed a doula but I also am someone who pretty much wants to be left alone during labor.  I'm happy to answer any specific questions you have about the practice :)  Good luck choosing!

#12 of 12 Old 08-10-2011, 07:54 AM - Thread Starter

Thanks again to everyone who commented (both positively and negatively).  I've decided to stay with WHA for now, and I'll try and post a more updated review as it becomes more specifically relevant. :)

As an FYI, one of the midwives is leaving (her replacement is coming in September, I think they said?).  I actually had a prenatal appointment with one of the doctors because of the midwives being shorthanded until then, and I was pleasantly surprised (it didn't sound like he was the type to be overbearing with me or the midwives, but it wasn't that long a conversation, and it's possible I didn't ask the right questions).  I can provide more details in PM if desired.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page