Visiting Mystic area this summer, tell me about the aquarium and the seaport.... - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 6 Old 04-27-2011, 01:56 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

We will be travelling to Mystic (on our way north on 95) this summer and we are planning a night or two in the Mystic area.

We are planning a day for the seaport and a day for the aquarium.  Is a day each enough?  too much?

I am particularly wondering about the aquarium.  Friends visited and were less than impressed yet I hear from others that it is not to be missed.  I am confused.  We have visited the National Aquarium several times so I am wondering if these people were comparing it to that?

Our loose plan is to arrive in the Mystic area late afternoon/early evening and stay at a hotel.  The next day will be the seaport, another overnight and then a visit of the aquarium and then continue on our way north.

I would love any recommendations for hotels in the Mystic area. 

Mom to DS, born fall 05 after ,,, wife/best friend to DH We have
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 6 Old 04-27-2011, 02:04 PM

Hi Caneel!

We live in RI and have a season pass to the Aquarium. It is a great place but it is pretty small compared to most other aquariums. We can usually see the whole thing in about 2-3 hours, sometimes longer if you see one of the shows. The Seaport is great too, there is Mystic Village that has about 50 shops to wander through and a few little areas with food, ice cream and whatnots. Really you could do the whole thing in one day. I guess it just depends on how tired your little ones get. 

A Mommy In Love!!!

#3 of 6 Old 04-27-2011, 02:14 PM

we went last summer and i was really surprised at how small the aquarium was.  i remembered it very differently, but then i hadn't been there since i was little.  it's nice, and i think kids can spend a bunch of time there, but i'm not sure about the whole day.

we really liked the seaport, and mystic village (shopping) was great.

we stayed at the Hampton Inn below and it was wonderful.  plain, but clean with great service.

http://hamptoninn.hilton.com/en/hp/hotels/index.jhtml?ctyhocn=HFDMYHX

tips - the Mystic Chamber of Commerce sells a Mystic Pass (link below) which gives you a ton of discounts.  we found it useful for getting the hotel bill lower and for some of the food and shopping discounts.  the price to get in to the aquarium and seaport were the same as they were online, except you got a free teeshirt and some free food and soda in each place.

http://www.mysticchamber.org/?sec=news&id=113

mom to Andrew   born Feb 6th, already a mom to child with fur; and still missing and still wondering about the lost possibilities Mar 17, 2009
#4 of 6 Old 04-27-2011, 02:49 PM - Thread Starter

Good to know!  and thanks for the links

Maybe I can plan only one overnight night in Mystic and another somewhere else on our trip.

Mom to DS, born fall 05 after ,,, wife/best friend to DH We have
#5 of 6 Old 04-27-2011, 03:12 PM

The aquarium is quite small as others have mention but it is ok and the kids will like it.  My hubby thinks it is great for a one time visit. 

#6 of 6 Old 04-28-2011, 07:39 AM

We live pretty close so when we go to Mystic, we only spend a day. If we go to the aquarium (which is great, but yes, small, though I've never been to bigger ones...) we will also spend some time in the little shops -- right in the same plaza. I went to the Seaport once (as a kid) and we spent several hours there & then walked around the town. I do think if you definitely want to do both the Seaport AND the aquarium, it might be a little much to do in one day (especially if you get a late start or if they both close by 5??) The town is beautiful to walk through and there are places to picnic and cheap boat rides... I guess if it were me, I would spend a day doing the Seaport and walking around the town, and then the next morning go to the aquarium (~half a day) before heading back home. To me, neither takes a WHOLE day but it would be too much to do in one day. But I prefer leisurely vacations, not trying to rush from one spot to the next, and we love just hanging out outdoors...

Co-sleeping is really wonderful when your child actually SLEEPS!! familybed1.gif

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page