need some suggestions for family friendly towns outside Boston - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 6 Old 05-20-2011, 12:01 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Hi,

I currently live in NJ and might be relocating to MA.  Looking for towns outside Boston ( the job opportunity for DH is in Needham) that are a 30-40 min commute (driving to Needham), homes  (3-4 bedrooms, 2-3 baths)under 400K that have at least .5- 1 acre land,  GREAT schools ( I have a 4 yr and 2 yr old).,  'Low' property taxes (we are currently paying 8K per year, so anything under 5K would be great) and I would love to be in walking distance  ( if possible) to a cute town center, but would also take a town w/ no town center if I can easily drive a town or two over to get some 'city'!!!!

any suggestions?

Thanks,

Brenda

#2 of 6 Old 05-23-2011, 12:44 PM

You may want to look at Dedham, Walpole, Foxborough, Medfield, Hopkinton, Holliston, Ashland, and Natick.  If I were looking now, Natick would be a top choice.  Close to Needham, lots of jobs and shopping, adorable town center with  a farmers market every saturday, a local community organic farm, etc.  I think you could find what you are looking for, maybe not updated with brand new everything, but decent for 400k, maybe 5-6k for taxes

Erin photosmile2.gif  treehugger.gif, DH jammin.gif ,  Mumma to Chase 7/08 superhero.gif and babyf.gif Griff 3/13

MTHFR C677T Homozygous, M/C 2/07 @ 6wks, 12/10 @8wks, 10/11@7wks, 2/12 @4wks.... 

#3 of 6 Old 05-25-2011, 04:56 AM

I used to live in Natick and am now in Holliston.  I love Holliston... great school system, great small town feel.  I loved Natick also, but is a little more expensive for real estate.  You can get a very nice 3-4 bedroom home for 350-450K.  (My 3 bed, 2 bath was $370K - bought 3 years ago).  The property taxes are a bit higher here (but it is truly worth it for the school system).  I pay about $5600, I think?

Also, these from these two towns you can drive to Needham all back roads in about 25-35 minutes (no congested highways!).

Good luck!

#4 of 6 Old 05-27-2011, 03:15 AM

Another vote for Holliston! The school system is fantastic, and town center is REALLY cute. I live in Ashland now, and I do love it here, too, Holliston is that much nicer.

Come ponder with me about food!
#5 of 6 Old 05-27-2011, 04:11 AM

IDK too much about Dedham besides the projects over there and I know those are rough (compared to some other projects) I would vote Holliston or Hopkinton. Natick is way too busy for my taste with that enormous mall.

Young born-again mama and loving wife peace.gif to DH jammin.gif and SAHP to two crazy girls dust.gifwehomebirth.jpgfly-by-nursing2.gifslinggirl.giffamilybed1.gif and believe gd.giflactivist.gif  signcirc1.gif !

#6 of 6 Old 06-04-2011, 06:24 PM - Thread Starter

THANKS so much for all the info!

Brenda

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page