Cell phone reception in Massachusetts: Verizon versus AT&T - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 6 Old 07-28-2011, 11:46 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Simple question.  Is there an obvious difference in the quality of reception between Verizon and AT&T.

For years now I've had Verizon pre-paid.  Initially it cost me about $10.00 a month on average, but I'm using it more and more often so it's getting very expensive (about $95.00 in a 22 day period to be precise).  I could join my sister's AT&T family plan for about $10.00 to $35.00 depending upon whether I pick a data plan.  

It seems like a no brainer unless the AT&T reception stinks.  My sister says it's good but I seem to recall her having trouble calling in Maine or New Hampshire but I was recently able to call Massachusetts from New Jersey without any trouble.

TIA for any feedback.

~Cath

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 6 Old 07-29-2011, 05:39 AM

I'm sure it depends what part of MA you're in, but I've been using AT&T for years (way back when they were Cingular) and I've very rarely had issues. One time was when we had a big storm that knocked out some of the towers -- didn't know I had to 'reset' my phone to reach those towers! And sometimes I find dead zones... most often very rural areas or big buildings, which I imagine are dead zones for everyone??? Not sure. But overall I am happy with it and they seem to be one of the absolute cheapest options around here.

Co-sleeping is really wonderful when your child actually SLEEPS!! familybed1.gif
#3 of 6 Old 07-29-2011, 07:04 AM

I have Verizon, and my house seems to be on the edge of a dead zone. I'm always losing calls while sitting in the same place, or just never getting them. I'm not a fan, and I can't wait until this contract is up.

Come ponder with me about food!
#4 of 6 Old 07-29-2011, 11:37 AM

We have bad luck with AT&T, but that is our house and we are in a known low cell tower zone.  My service also can be poor in cloudy weather.  My husband has Verizon for work and his phone works better and can complete calls when I have issues.

However, my phone almost always works- so you might be okay- it depends if it is your sole phone and how important it is.  I think I've always been able to make calls, but sometimes it does not go through on the first try.   I do have some calls that I don't get (they don't ring and go to voice mail) and there have been times the call didn't register on my phone for several hours (ie, my mom called at 9:30 am and I checked my phone through out the day but didn't get a notice till 2:00 that she called and left a voice mail.)

If you switch, make sure you test it out and see while you are still in the 30 day (or whatever) return period they have so if you do live in a poor spot you can switch back w/o penalty.  They have been able to run tests over the phone and check on things (I changed a setting to get my phone to work a little better and there also are signal boosters that you can buy for a home location that has poor reception).

Also, I had a lot of probs this week and called AT&T- turns out they were working on some towers and they reset my phone so hopefully that will help.  

AT&T definitely is known to have problems but it really is very specific to the area that you are going to use.

Jessica

Jessica..lady.gifintactlact.gif Falling in love all over again..... 
Dhprivateeyes.gif, Joshua rolleyes.gif Rebeccagrouphug.gifand dog2.gif.    candle.gif for Laura
#5 of 6 Old 07-29-2011, 11:57 AM

I have AT&T and works well.  I'm in metrowest, MA.  I also use in RI without a problem.

Independent Consultant- Thirty One Gifts www.mythirtyone.com/ShopLiz

Origami Owl http://lizcioci.origamiowl.com

#6 of 6 Old 08-01-2011, 06:07 PM - Thread Starter

Thank you.

~Cath

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page