RI homebirth? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 22 Old 08-04-2011, 10:47 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Hi,

I'm newly pregnant (1st) and searching for a homebirth midwife who will deliver a baby in RI (near the border of MA).

Does anyone know of midwives who will deliver in RI? I really want to avoid going the hospital route, especially at W&I.

Thanks,

LJ

#2 of 22 Old 08-05-2011, 06:20 PM

Your only legal option is Mary Mumford Haley, I don't know her website off hand.  I'm sure someone else will post it, it will give you all the specs on her practice.

Christian SAHM & birth doula.
#3 of 22 Old 08-06-2011, 09:10 AM

There are midwives in CT and MA that travel in to RI for homebirths. pm  me for ##s

*(.) (.)*
#4 of 22 Old 08-06-2011, 01:14 PM

Yes it is illegal, RI does not legally recognize the credential of CPM.  From Sue Smith's own mouth she told me it was illegal, not to mention the law clearly stating that only CNM's, or CM's are legally allowed to attend homebirths in RI. 

#5 of 22 Old 08-06-2011, 10:05 PM

The words Homebirth, home-birth and home birth are not found in the law. Though you're right that the law defines a midwife as someone who holds a current certification as a midwife or nurse-midwife by the American College of Nurse-Midwives, and CPM does not fall into that category.  So it sounds like Someone who is not licensed by any board as any type of midwife,  does not call herself a "midwife"  can very well "attend" homebirths.  This has me really thinking. Its all very interesting.

*(.) (.)*
#6 of 22 Old 08-09-2011, 11:17 AM

Im finding that it is unconstitutional to have a law that states "illegal to home birth" "birth at home" You may give birth at home as the state cant take that constitutional right, just the same way you can refuse medical services. It is illegal for a midwife to attend your constitutional birth AT HOME in the state of  RI. So now the state has me wondering if I will do this at home alone. 

This is what Ive gathered from several resources and not a fact, please correct me if its off.

Amanda

#7 of 22 Old 08-09-2011, 03:03 PM

It's possible that in the future other CNM's will open homebirth practices in RI and allow VBAC's, as I don't think it's illegal, just no one is willing to do them.  I hope to see a birth center in RI someday as well.  Another option lacking in RI. 

#8 of 22 Old 08-10-2011, 07:20 AM

I thought home birth was a-legal in RI, rather than illegal?  As in, not regulated -- not forbidden but not explicity permitted either.  A CPM from Mass attended my home birth (in RI) in November 2010;  has the law changed since then?

ariana, mama to beautiful redheaded girls (oct 07) and (nov 10)

#9 of 22 Old 08-10-2011, 09:23 AM

The law hasn't changed it's always been illegal.  CPM's have always taken a risk by coming to RI for births. 

#10 of 22 Old 08-10-2011, 09:24 AM

Back to the OP, does anyone know Mary's website?  I'd like to have it on hand for other people searching for homebirth info..

#11 of 22 Old 08-10-2011, 11:24 AM

Mary's site is:  http://rihomebirth.com/

I would also encourage you to check out http://www.homebirthri.org/ for additional information and resources.

Me36), PCOS -  IUI#1 post HSG w/50mg clomid & trigger 7/25/12: BFN  & med break for cyst IUI#2  9-9-12 BFN IUI#3 10-2013 BFN  IUI#4  2-18-13 same meds, new donor BFN, IUI#5 6/1/13 100mg clomid trigger, BFN,  IUI#6 TBD 8-2013 GONAL-F and trigger blogging.jpgdog2.gifcat.gifcat.gif

#12 of 22 Old 08-12-2011, 08:53 PM

Wow, I have to say, after looking at the website for the RI Homebirth Collective that I am pretty stunned that there is not a mention of CPM's or that issue.  I am very disappointed as I have talked at length and been asked for input on the issue by the facilitators.    Considering up until this year's cease & desist orders going out CPM;s attended the most homebirths in RI, including births for nurses, CNM's, and, gasp, doctors.  Well stump the chump.  If the issue is never talked about then people will not know there is an issue and therefor will not become involved.  Sorry, although I am not so invested in this issue, I just can't help not saying anything...it seems odd to me...

#13 of 22 Old 08-13-2011, 07:32 PM

It says this right on the homepage:

"RIHBC has begun to explore the policies and regulations that surround home birth in RI, and is working to develop strategies that will ultimately make home birth a more accessible option for families in RI."

I don't see what else that could be referring but the issue of CPM's?

JustAnotherJenny likes this.

#14 of 22 Old 08-15-2011, 08:04 AM

Best of luck to you!    

“He allowed himself to be swayed by his conviction that human beings are not born once and for all on the day their mothers give birth to them, but that life obliges them over and over again to give birth to themselves.” 

- Gabriel García Márquez

#15 of 22 Old 08-15-2011, 06:55 PM

OT  

Mamathomas, that is a beautiful belly cast!  I still have mine but I have not done anything with it yet...yours is inspiring.  Best of luck with your birth!

#16 of 22 Old 08-16-2011, 07:31 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Paige, CPM View Post

OT  

Mamathomas, that is a beautiful belly cast!  I still have mine but I have not done anything with it yet...yours is inspiring.  Best of luck with your birth!

Thanks Paige!  My doula did the cast but I just had Amy Swagman from The Mandala Journey paint it for me.  I'll be sending her my cast from this pregnancy too.  She does beautiful work!   http://themandalajourney.com/ 

Take care all :)

“He allowed himself to be swayed by his conviction that human beings are not born once and for all on the day their mothers give birth to them, but that life obliges them over and over again to give birth to themselves.” 

- Gabriel García Márquez

#17 of 22 Old 08-16-2011, 12:18 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks for the input/info everyone. I met with Mary Mumford Haley last week and am going to have her for my homebirth. Yay!

I do think that women in RI need to start demanding options when it comes to their care. Not only do we need more homebirth midwives, we also need a FREE STANDING BIRTH CENTER not governed by ANY hospital where women who want that option can go.

Paige, CPM likes this.
#18 of 22 Old 08-17-2011, 06:05 PM

I just wanted to gently remind people of MDC's Healthcare Provider Review guidelines, located at the top of this forum, which state:

"Please be cautious in posting [...] anything that might create legal concerns for you or others."

Rather than naming out-of-state CPMs who have/will cross the border to provide care for RI families (and who are currently caught in an unfortunate political war), it might be better to PM people who are seeking their contact information.  This is a public forum and while it may sound conspiratorial, I would hate to think these warrior women might "get in trouble" if someone was lurking on these threads. 

JustAnotherJenny likes this.

treehugger.gif
#19 of 22 Old 08-18-2011, 06:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mamathomas View Post

The RI Dept. of Health used to turn a blind eye to midwives from CT and MA attending homebirths here, but they have all received cease and desist letters and will no longer cross the border.

I would hesitate to say "all" as I personally know 2 birthworkers who are still attending underground ri and have not been issued any type of cease and desist. Some of the posts here are perfect examples of  fear mongering spread/used by other midwives in order to squash business for their competition. Sad. Birthworkers are being witchhunted,  and by their own sisters!

*(.) (.)*
#20 of 22 Old 08-18-2011, 07:43 AM

Edited my posts so as not to violate any rules.  It is certainly not my intention to spread fear or be a part of a "witch hunt."  As a pregnant woman trying to figure out my own options, since there is obviously no clear, concise information available to us, I was only trying to help another woman in the same boat by offering what I have learned.

- Gabriel García Márquez

#21 of 22 Old 08-18-2011, 11:27 AM

For the record, for anyone reading these posts, I really don't have any idea about any tba"s or cpm's who are currently practicing midwifery in RI. And I have to ask why on earth would I want to "squash business for their competition" or "witch-hunt" a midwife, I am a midwife.    

I am not, nor have I ever been in any kind of competition with anyone in RI.

#22 of 22 Old 08-19-2011, 10:23 AM

I see no evidence of the accusations you're making, care to explain?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barefootinthewoods View Post

I would hesitate to say "all" as I personally know 2 birthworkers who are still attending underground ri and have not been issued any type of cease and desist. Some of the posts here are perfect examples of  fear mongering spread/used by other midwives in order to squash business for their competition. Sad. Birthworkers are being witchhunted,  and by their own sisters!

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page