Looking for new pals for my 4 yo daughter/ Hospital Hill area of Quincy, MA - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 4 Old 08-16-2011, 08:36 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Hello! So, sadly, our only neighbors with young kids are moving this week, and my almost 4 y.o. daughter (turns 4 on 9/6) is crushed, as am I.  She is an only child (at least at the moment) and we really did enjoy the last few years of her and I just being able to walk out our front door every day and play with her friends (both girls were sisters who were 3 and almost 5--my daughter was almost like a middle sister to them).  She is in preschool part of the day until early afternoon (I work from home--just left private practice as an attorney to start my own freelance writing/legal consulting business so I could be home more with her), but we really would like to meet some other kids/families in the area around her age who'd be up for occasionally meeting at the park on Whitwell Street (across from Quincy Medical Center) or just plain old good backyard fun and meeting up that doesn't require a long drawn out plan to have a playdate, drive, etc.  I think kids in the 3.5 to 5 year old range would be ideal.

She's a bit on the introverted/shy side, but warms up pretty quickly if she's around kids of her temperment.  She's a very sweet and empathetic little gal.  She's really into dolls and role playing games at the moment, making forts, drawing chalk, horsing around in our veggie garden (although she's working through a bee phobia at the moment...can't wait for that first frost!).  We like to cook, read books, play games, she's learning how to ride her new "big girl" bike, etc. --  all the stuff most 4 year olds like to do. 

In the interest of full disclosure and given the type of the people who tend to frequent this forum/website, in terms of our "crunchiness" level, I'd say our family is about a 7 or an 8 or so, with a "1" being Doritos and soda and 3 hours of morning cartoons for breakfast type of family and a 10 being a family cloth and living off the grid household (which we are not!):  we have an organic garden, compost, use rain barrels, live pretty greenly/simply, we share one car, take the AP approach most of the time, try to limit our diet to organic, unprocessed foods, keep the # of toys down to a pretty decent and quality minimum, and don't let our daughter watch more than 1/2 hour TV on weekend days, none during the week -- that said, we have been known to succumb once in a while to the latest Apple technology, are huge Pats fans, let our daughter choose a Disney princess bike (though she's never seen any of the movies yet and I can't stand the princess mania) and a few gummi bears have been sighted on some frozen yogurt indulgences this summer :)  In a nutshell, I annoy my extended family who think that I am living "extreme" and depriving our daughter of life's pleasures, yet I still feel like I am not living green enough.  Go figure.  We're open to meeting anyone because honestly if kids are playing it shouldn't matter, but I just wanted to give you a heads up about our vibe in case you care or wanted to know.

Anyone around the Whitwell Street/Quincy Medical Center area of Quincy who might want to meet up sometime?  We are VERY close to the hospital, so the park across the street makes a good meeting place.  We have a few travel plans between now and mid-Sept, but we'd love to hang out and get acquainted before the cold weather sets in.  If this sounds like it's up your alley--PM me :)

Thanks for reading!

-Kristen

#2 of 4 Old 08-18-2011, 09:19 AM

I just had a second but welcome to MA!  

Here's some resources:

South Shore AP list  http://groups.yahoo.com/group/SouthShoreAP/

Holistic Moms Network of Plymouth South Shore

HMNSShoreMA@gmail.com

http://home.homewebs.com/hmnplymouthma/

http://facebook.com/HMNSShoreMA

Jessica..lady.gifintactlact.gif Falling in love all over again..... 
Dhprivateeyes.gif, Joshua rolleyes.gif Rebeccagrouphug.gifand dog2.gif.    candle.gif for Laura
#3 of 4 Old 08-18-2011, 03:24 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks for the info! Though I'm actually not new to the area...just new to being stranded by some really great neighbors that we will miss smile.gif

Either way, maybe I can make some local connections through the links you gave me.  Thanks again!

#4 of 4 Old 08-30-2011, 12:14 PM

PMed you :)

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page