Cape Cod Farmer's Markets??? - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 6 Old 08-21-2011, 05:30 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 40 Post(s)

Can anyone tell me what they think is the best? Best selection?

We are spending a few weeks on the cape in Sept. and I am looking for organics mostly (or non-cert. or no sprayed)- since there are several, are they mostly the same people at each set up?

In years past we have gone to Plymouth FM and for those who have been to both are they sort of run the same? 

I come from an area where there are not "guards" and you can buy around the time-not like I experience at Plymouth that it started at an exact time- how are the ones on the cape run?

or do most buy directly at farms? again- any suggestion?

I am also looking for local honey on the cape- any preferences?

thank you

pro-transparency advocate

&

lurk.gif  PROUD member of the .3% club!

Want to join? Just ask me!

"You know, in my day we used to sit on our ass smoking Parliaments for nine months.

Today, you have one piece of Brie and everybody goes berserk."      ROTFLMAO.gif 

#2 of 6 Old 08-22-2011, 09:46 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

What part of the Cape are you going to be at?  You can try:  http://semaponline.org/ and http://www.massfarmersmarkets.org/ to find ones near you and search by days of the week etc.  Most Farmers Markets have local vendors and farmers and a few of the bigger farms may be at various farmers market but each one is unique.

BTW, guards at Plymouth- that's a little funny to me since I probably know most of the Thursday 'guards'-- they just have a start time so the Farmers can get their booths set up and the public can be safely out of the way during the busy preparation of moving tables, boxes of goods and erecting the tents.  Most of the vendors also have to go and move their vehicles to the far parking lot before it starts.The strawberries and blueberries (and other hot items) can sell out the first hour of the market- so if there wasn't a set time it would be a little crazy (farmers interrupted while trying to set up ,and people arriving early just to get the berries or something) . Since it is a not a permanent site it isn't the easiest feat to manage to block off the whole space so sometimes people try  to walk through one of the side opening.  On Thursdays the manager always tries to find children from the crowd to ring the market and welcome everyone to shop- so it's suppose to be festive, etc.  I feel bad it would feel otherwise. The Thursday one starts at 2:30 and the Saturday starts at 9:30.  

Here's a cape local foods blogger:  http://www.diaryofalocavore.com/

Edible Cape Cod (magazine) http://www.ediblecommunities.com/capecod/   --> this usually free at the farmers markets

Most of the markets probably have honey too!  Have fun!

Jessica

Jessica..lady.gifintactlact.gif Falling in love all over again..... 
Dhprivateeyes.gif, Joshua rolleyes.gif Rebeccagrouphug.gifand dog2.gif.    candle.gif for Laura
#3 of 6 Old 08-22-2011, 10:24 AM - Thread Starter

we are staying on the upper cape but going to all areas so that is not an issue- just want to know if it is the same ones at each market or not and what market tends to have the most organic (organic like items)- the main web site really doesn't tell you a whole lot

we don't plan on going back to Plymouth, were we live it is not like the Plymouth market and it felt really unfriendly last year, it was raining and I couldn't even ask a vendor a question prior to the opening and they were fully set up-not at all what I am use to

thanks anyway 

&

"You know, in my day we used to sit on our ass smoking Parliaments for nine months.

Today, you have one piece of Brie and everybody goes berserk."      ROTFLMAO.gif 

#4 of 6 Old 08-22-2011, 10:48 AM

I'd guess you found a grumpy vendor if they couldn't even answer a question. That sux )-; 

Most of the market should have websites set up and the ones I know list the vendors and special guests each week.  I'm hoping another one of the cape MDC'ers will give you some good recommendations too.

Enjoy the Cape!

Jessica..lady.gifintactlact.gif Falling in love all over again..... 
Dhprivateeyes.gif, Joshua rolleyes.gif Rebeccagrouphug.gifand dog2.gif.    candle.gif for Laura
#5 of 6 Old 08-23-2011, 08:17 PM

Not farmers markets, but a couple of pretty good farm stands in Falmouth:
http://www.coonamessettfarm.com/
http://www.tonyandrewsfarmstand.com/

And an apiary in Sandwich:
http://www.farmfresh.org/food/farm.php?farm=971

Hope this helps!
#6 of 6 Old 08-24-2011, 04:23 AM - Thread Starter

thanks- that is really helpful

we are doing things in all areas so I didn't want to waste time if it was the same vendors that was my main concern

I know bee-keeping is bigger on the cape (not like in my area)  and that is at least a help, I like to try from different areas- plan on going there

smile.gif

&

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page