32 weeks pregnant, want to have vbac, trying to avoid pprom, also need doula - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 5 Old 08-24-2011, 06:09 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Hi everyone,

Would love to get inputs about vbac, avoiding PPROM and doula recommendations.

As my due date is getting closer, I am getting worried. Don't want to mess up with this (#2) pregnancy/birth. The first one(in 2007) was not a happy one. Had a PPROM at 35 weeks, went to Metrowest in Framingham. They started inducing with pitocin but labor never progressed. Wasn't feeling any contractions. I didnt want the epidural, wanted to experience the pains and try for a vaginal birth. After more than 30 hours, ds was born by emergency c-section due to fetal distress. Luckily, he didnt have to stay in the NICU and came home with us. The whole experience was very traumatic for me. 

For this pregnancy, I wanted to go with a provider who would let me vbac(my earlier one had mentioned that it will be c-section the next time around so didnt bother to go there). My friend recommended WHA in wellesley. I was seeing the MDs(who are pro-vbac) for all my prenatal visits but have decided to go with the midwives now. I feel the chances of having a birth with least medical intervention are better with a MW. My first appointment with one of the 2 available MWs is at 34 weeks, I know its kinda late. Hopefully I can have a better experience this time.

Anyone have any inputs about avoiding PPROM in subsequent pregnancies? Also, would like to get recs for doulas with experience in vbac, handling pprom.

Thanks for reading my long story!

#2 of 5 Old 08-26-2011, 07:31 PM

Hi

I could not read your post and not reply. My friend Meag has taken the doula course and is currently not charging clients for her certification, she has one more birth to wittness to be DONA certified. I could give her your email and you could get in touch and talk. Hope your well and good luck!

AlisonSUB

MIT

#3 of 5 Old 08-26-2011, 08:15 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks for responding Alison..yes, I can talk to your friend and see if she is a good fit for me.

#4 of 5 Old 08-27-2011, 09:09 AM

I've heard fabulous things about Newton Wellesley hospital (NWH).  

I had my son at Metrowest Framingham and it was awful.  Ended up with an emergency c-section.  My OB was on vacation and he was so angry when he found out what happened to me.  He (Robert Gottlieb of Southboro Medical in Framingham) encourages natural childbirth.  But, I don't know if he's affiliated with NWH.

Independent Consultant- Thirty One Gifts www.mythirtyone.com/ShopLiz

Origami Owl http://lizcioci.origamiowl.com

#5 of 5 Old 09-02-2011, 05:07 PM

Hello!  I'm a birth doula in the Boston area, and would be happy to talk with you about your birth if you're still looking for a doula.  My website is http://www.motherbabydoulaservices.com.  Also, as far as VBAC goes - make sure you ask your midwives what the VBAC success rate is for their practice, and for whichever hospital you decide on.  That is a good indicator of what you'll be working with.  Hiring a doula is also a great way to up your chances for a VBAC - having doula support reduces the chance of a cesarean birth by 52%.  Here are the most current (2008) stats on cesarean births in the area:

2009 Massachusetts had a 33.4% cesarean rate (http://www.theunnecesarean.com/blog/2011/4/16/cesarean-rates-by-state-2009.html)

2009 national cesarean rate 32.9% (http://www.theunnecesarean.com/blog/2010/12/21/us-cesarean-rate-reaches-record-high-rises-for-13th-consecut.html)

WHO guideline for optimal cesarean rates: 10-15%

Cesarean rates by Massachusetts hospital: http://www.theunnecesarean.com/blog/2011/4/16/massachusetts-cesarean-rates-2008.html

Metrowest Medical Center (Framingham Union Campus) – 41.8%

Beth Israel Deaconess – 40.8%

Newton Wellesley – 37.1%

Brigham & Women’s – 35.2%

MGH – 31.5%

Mt. Auburn – 27.4%

That may help you decide where you'd like to go.  Best of luck!

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page