Affordable HB MW in Worcester county MA? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 7 Old 08-30-2011, 06:45 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

So I just found out I am pregnant. I went all the way to Cambridge Birth Center for my last pregnancy and it was a total PIA, besides during my birth I didn't feel I had much control...IDK it was not ideal.

I really wanted a home birth this time and right now I feel really discouraged...the MW recommended to me is way out of our feasible price range...according to her website it will total out almost $5000!

We are low income and were hoping to use our taxes to pay for it honestly.(baby due in May)

Anyone know a good HB MW with reasonable prices/who will work with you financially? I really don't want to have to go to Cambridge again...

Young born-again mama and loving wife peace.gif to DH jammin.gif and SAHP to two crazy girls dust.gifwehomebirth.jpgfly-by-nursing2.gifslinggirl.giffamilybed1.gif and believe gd.giflactivist.gif  signcirc1.gif !

#2 of 7 Old 08-30-2011, 03:08 PM - Thread Starter

nobody?

Young born-again mama and loving wife peace.gif to DH jammin.gif and SAHP to two crazy girls dust.gifwehomebirth.jpgfly-by-nursing2.gifslinggirl.giffamilybed1.gif and believe gd.giflactivist.gif  signcirc1.gif !

#3 of 7 Old 08-30-2011, 03:13 PM

Last year I got a $3400 quote from Sue Smith in Uxbridge MA

Christian SAHM & birth doula.
#4 of 7 Old 08-30-2011, 05:31 PM

Sorry, I don't have any suggestions, I had a hospital birth at UMass Memorial.  I did have a good experience there.

#5 of 7 Old 08-30-2011, 06:46 PM - Thread Starter

No way am I going to a hospital I don't care if I have to drive an hour to Cambridge if it comes down to it! (of course unless it was a dyer emergency, like prolapsed cord or something)

Well see I thought when someone said "My HB cost $3000" that that included pre-natal care but it doesn't. Pre-natal care is extra...which brings up the price a ton ($100 per appointment, usually 12 appointments)

So that brings us into unaffordable. DH works full time and is in school full time. I SAH with our 2 y/o (not that I would be able to work with no child care anyways)

We have common wealth care and we receive SNAP (foodstamps) so when I say we are low income I really mean low income...unfortunately. But DH is in school so we will hopefully be bettering our lives shortly! He graduates right around when the baby is due.

I'm thinking with cooperation and the right birth plan I may be able to make Cambridge work out(for free besides gas) even if it's a troop and it will be so much harder with a 2 y/o in tow...I do have family there though...

#6 of 7 Old 08-31-2011, 06:04 AM

The $3400 for Sue included everything, pre-natal, birth, postpartum, everything. 

Christian SAHM & birth doula.
#7 of 7 Old 08-31-2011, 07:02 AM - Thread Starter

OOOh that is good to know! I will call her today!

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page