Interest in Cambridge Area Birth Circles? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 10-04-2011, 07:11 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

I am trying to see what level of interest, if any, there might be in establishing regular "Birth Circle" meetings in the Cambridge/Boston area.  As defined by the Mass. Friends of Midwives website, birth circles "are meetings for past, present, and potential clients of homebirth and nursemidwives and those striving for natural birth."  Each session would include a "guest speaker" and an opportunity to share our birth stories.  

I am interested in potentially hosting these periodically at the Cambridge library.  (I had a homebirth for my third baby in January after two previous hospital births and am now a homebirth/natural birth zealot!)

Any thoughts?  Would anyone out there be interested in attending something like this to meet like-minded mamas?

Many thanks for your insights!

-Kerry @ City Kids Homeschooling

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-10-2011, 08:37 AM

Yes!  I have actually been looking for local Birth Circle meetings since I was pregnant, but haven't found anything local.  I would definitely be interested in attending and might be able to rustle up a friend or two who would be, as well.  

Old 10-12-2011, 07:05 AM

I'm definitely interested.  Even though there are lots of people who lean to the natural side of parenting choices in the region, when I was pregnant I struggled to find a birth-specific group.  Even though my baby is no longer a baby, I'd love to connect to people to talk about birth.  Also thinking about trying for #2, and finding a birth circle is on my to-do list before next time :)

Old 10-12-2011, 07:38 PM

I'm totally interested!! We're in Acton but would travel. I'm also a doula-in-training.

Old 10-17-2011, 08:24 PM - Thread Starter

Ok, it is great to hear that there is some interest in this birth circle.  I'll investigate dates and times and re-post with additional information.  Thanks again!

Old 10-27-2011, 09:19 AM

Kerry - (we've met through homeschool groups :)  My homebirth 'baby' is now 3, but my sister's is just a few months old - both of us would have loved to have found a homebirth circle during our pregnancys & would be happy to come and participate/share stories, etc.  My sister is also a birth & post-partum doula & has trained as a homebirth midwife :)  Keep me in the loop! 

Loving mama to magical boys Skyler (11/21/03) and Gryffin Emrys (9/30/08). 

Old 12-05-2011, 05:13 PM

Hi, I'm Skymomma's sister ;)

I was looking for a birth circle when I was pregnant, I would love to go to one and connect with other homebirth Cambridge moms! I really hope this comes together. I know another local mom who I think would be very interested as well.

Old 12-07-2011, 07:50 AM

Hoping to hear more about this soon! It would be lovely to have a local birth circle.

Old 12-09-2011, 10:56 AM - Thread Starter

Great, I am glad there is some interest in this Birth Circle!  Will be so much fun to talk natural birth with local mamas!  

I'll try to get something set up at the Cambridge library for January, probably a weekend afternoon.

I'll post here and elsewhere with an exact date and time!

Kerry @ City Kids Homeschooling

Old 12-31-2011, 09:18 AM

I had my first baby at home in my apt in Cambridge in August! It was amazing and I would love to talk with other moms about birth and meet some babies!

Old 12-31-2011, 09:26 AM - Thread Starter

Yes!  I am working on it!  My biggest challenge so far has been finding meeting space for us that is free and without restrictions.  The library's meeting room restrictions are preventing us from meeting there.  If anyone has any suggestions on where to meet, I'd love to hear them!  I know the Cambridge Women's Center is happy to host us, but they don't allow men and that seems like it would be unfortunate for women and their partners who want to learn more about natural birth.  

Old 01-02-2012, 07:32 AM

I've heard Lexington and Arlington's library meeting rooms are easier to secure than Cambridge's.  Or maybe we could meet once at the Women's Center and brainstorm about different locations?  Maybe after meeting in person someone might volunteer to make some calls, or people will have other ideas.

Old 01-05-2012, 06:23 AM

Another possibility might be the Democracy Center in Harvard Square.  I know they have meeting spaces for non-profits and educational groups and it would seem like a birth circles group would fulfill the educational mission.  http://democracycenter.org/meeting-room-faq

Old 01-07-2012, 07:06 PM - Thread Starter

Yay!!  Mark your calendars for the following Birth Circle meeting!!!!!

When: Sunday, January 22nd, 6:30-8:00 pm

Where: Cambridge Spaulding Rehab Community Room, 1575 Cambridge Street, Cambridge MA, First Floor Room Center #3

Who: Our guest speaker will be Audra Karp, local homebirth midwife and director of Northeast Community Midwifery (http://www.northeastmidwifery.com/)

What: "The BIRTH CIRCLES are meetings for past, present, and potential clients of homebirth and nursemidwives and those striving for natural birth." 

I hope to see you on January 22nd. Nurslings are always welcome. Please let me know if you will attend!

-Kerry McDonald

City Kids Homeschooling

http://cityhomeschooling.blogspot.com/

Old 01-13-2012, 07:30 AM

Hi,

I just had my son at home and my midwife actually suggested this birth circle. We would love to attend, can husbands come too?

Thanks

Natasha

Old 01-14-2012, 10:17 AM - Thread Starter

Yes, absolutely!  Husbands/partners are very welcome!

-Kerry

Old 01-21-2012, 12:03 PM - Thread Starter

Looking forward to tomorrow's Birth Circle meeting!  Hope some of you can attend!

When: Sunday, January 22nd, 6:30-8:00 pm

Where: Cambridge Spaulding Rehab Community Room, 1575 Cambridge Street, Cambridge MA, First Floor Room Center #3

Who: Our guest speaker will be Audra Karp, local homebirth midwife and director of Northeast Community Midwifery (http://www.northeastmidwifery.com/)

What: "The BIRTH CIRCLES are meetings for past, present, and potential clients of homebirth and nursemidwives and those striving for natural birth." 

I hope to see you on January 22nd. Nurslings and partners/husbands are always welcome and there is no cost for this event. Please let me know if you will attend!

-Kerry McDonald

City Kids Homeschooling

Old 01-25-2012, 02:54 PM

How was the birth circle meeting?  Any others coming up?

Old 02-21-2012, 06:14 AM - Thread Starter

MARCH BIRTH CIRCLE MEETING - LOCATION CHANGE:

We had 15 attendees at our last Cambridge Birth Circle meeting and are looking forward to the next one!  Here are the details:

The next meeting will be Sunday, March 4th from 6:30-8:00 pm at Spaulding Rehab Hospital Community Room - 1575 Cambridge Street, Cambridge, MA 02138

As always, nurslings and partners are welcome!

In addition to discussing birth experiences and expectations, the "topic" for our meeting will be "children's health and wellness."  Our guest speaker will be Abram Ojure, a Cambridge acupuncturist and Traditional Chinese Medicine expert with a specific specialty in pediatric health and wellness.  

Thanks!
Kerry

User Tag List