Joni Stone for a homebirth - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 4 Old 10-05-2011, 11:29 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

I would love to hear everyones opinion on Joni. I am working on getting to see her and see if homebirth is an option for us. Has anyone had a VBAC with her? what is the good/bad…please tell me all your thoughts, i need to make a decision and I am struggling with the media and fears behind a homebirth! I want one…but….

Sophia ~ 9/21 learning how to be crunchy mama. Uh oh, I just went over the crunch edge! ECing!! Planned ~ maybe next time : :
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 4 Old 10-05-2011, 06:29 PM

Joni is wonderful.  She was apprenticing with the midwives I used (Kim Cash and Nancy Farr) when I was pregnant with my second and planning for my first homebirth.  If Kim and Nancy weren't practicing and I was to get pregnant again, I would choose Joni to be my midwife without hesitation.

I have several friends and acquaintances who have used her and absolutely loved her and the care they received.  Three of births those were VBACs, though in one case Joni was there as the secondary midwife.  All had great outcomes and were very happy in their decision to have a home VBAC.

I hope you find the right answer for yourself. :) 

*mama to c 2/2000, v 2/2004, p 9/2006, and h 12/2012*

one of the mamas behind BeanTreeBaby.com ...Gear for Growing Families!

#3 of 4 Old 10-12-2011, 08:58 PM

I chose Nancy Farr myself but I also love Joni.  She has great personality and stats/safety record.  I think for me, the decision to VBAC at home was about weighing the "what if something happens" fear of homebirth, versus the "pressure for interventions/resistance to VBAC" fear of the hospital. (as well as the more positive side- the "Yay, I did it on my own and it was wonderful!" of homebirth, versus the "Well, I did it even in a hospital!" that I couldn't even imagine happening). 

You have to be where you feel comfortable.  Look at research and statistics, not just fear.  Meet with the various midwives with your partner.  Email me if you'd like- I have lots of resources as a former ICAN chapter leader.  elizabetharmon at yahoo. 

Liz

#4 of 4 Old 10-13-2011, 02:34 PM

There is also another option, if you want to interview another home birth midwife:

Gengi Proteau: an apprentice, but she has attended over 135 births and has been working towards becoming a home birth midwife since 2004; attends with Joni or Vicki

I really liked my conversations with her and felt like I meshed with her more than Joni.  Unfortunately, I don't think a home birth is in my cards due to insurance.  Good luck!

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page