TTC and nervous about planning second vbac. - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 2 Old 10-13-2011, 03:04 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Hi. I am mom of two children ages three and six. My daughter was born by emergency C section in 05 after trying for a home birth and ending up with a horrible transfer experience.

With my son I saw South Shore Midwifery for the first half of the pregnancy and loved them, but ultimately decided to go for another home birth. I was able to have a beautiful hbac with my son which was one of the most empowering experiences I have ever had. However there were complications during the pregnancy such as Gall Bladder issues, and my son's turning breech at 37 weeks. I had success in having him turned, and got my hbac anyway. 

I am now TTC again, and  due to all the difficulties I have had with my other pregnancies, my age, and other factors I will not be trying for a home birth this time around. I had planned to  go with SSMG again, as they  were great, and even when my MW learned I had a home birth when I went back for a checkkup a year later, she was so happy for me, and so supportive. However, now that they are at a new hospital I am nervous about my plan. I have heard mixed reviews about this other hospital, and the distance is also a factor as I live just outside of Boston on the south shore. Does anyone have any thoughts on other practices that I might not have considered. I would like a small practice, as I am disabled, and want to be able to get to know the people who will attend me in labor, and not have to worry about their reactions to my disability. this was a big issue when I transferred from my failed home birth. I got a doc I'd never met, and she had no idea how to deal with someone who had a disability, and this is one thing I don't want to deal with during labor.

It's a shame because i love SSMG, and although I don't love some things about SSH, they are close, and I have  had some good experiences with them. I wish Tobey did Vbacs, but since they don't I am thinking SSMg is my best option. does anyone know what the policies are like for vbac at the  Jordan? Any thoughts or feedback would be greatly appreciated. This will be my last birth, so I want to make the best decisions for my baby. I would like a natural birth, without continuous monitoring and being able to labor in water, but am willing to compromise on other things such as hep locs, to get my vbac. I justt think the hospital is best this time around, and the options around here aren't great. this vbac ban thing frustrates me so much, and I wonder if there isn't a way we could do more. It seems like a human rights issue, yet it doesn't get enough attention.  Thanks for listening any suggestions are appreciated.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 2 Old 10-13-2011, 09:52 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Hi Gabriel,

There are a few midwives that are great at South Shore Women's Health Center, but it is a large practice and I found that disconcerting.  For my 2nd child, I went with Louise at Tobey because I REALLY wanted to know the person that was going to be at my birth.  I know that's not an option for you, I wish it were (I  wish Tobey allowed vbacs).  The midwives at South Shore Midwifery seem to be really happy at Jordan so I'd put a call in to them and see if you can get them to give you a call just to talk about your options.  They still have an office in Hanover so it might just be the final drive that is a pretty long one for you.  

I know some Homebirth Doulas that will consider doula'ing in the hospital- so I'd definitely talk to your homebirth midwives or other homebirth midwives and see what suggestions they have.  

I think we are all wondering how the actual experience at Jordan's is going to be, especially for vbac's- and it's such a new change I'm not sure how much feedback is getting out there. 

The good thing about most birthy people is they are going to want to help you out even if they are ultimately not the right fit for you- they will want you to find the right place.  Sounds like you have some time to get some information and come up with a plan. 

Are you on the South Shore AP group list?  There are a few vbac women on that list that can give you good and bad feedback on different doctors in the area. 

I really hope you find information that will help you feel confident in your options!  Take care!!

Jessica

South Shore Resources:

South Shore AP group

http://groups.yahoo.com/group/SouthShoreAP/

Holistic Moms Network

https://www.facebook.com/HMNSShoreMA      <--- open house Tuesday 6:30-8 at Mamas Move in Norwell

The Natural child Collaborative

https://www.facebook.com/TheNaturalChildCollaborative

Jessica..lady.gifintactlact.gif Falling in love all over again..... 
Dhprivateeyes.gif, Joshua rolleyes.gif Rebeccagrouphug.gifand dog2.gif.    candle.gif for Laura

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page