Important News re: Massachusetts Midwifery Bill - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 8 Old 01-20-2012, 01:21 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

It just passed in the Senate! It's expected to be signed into law soon!

http://www.facebook.com/#!/groups/41256021750/?notif_t=group_activity

#2 of 8 Old 01-20-2012, 07:07 PM

Just to clarify, there are two midwifery bills... One is for CNM's, that is the one that just passed... now they will not need physician supervision (as it should be)!  This means CNM's can do homebirth in MA!  :o)

The CPM bill (to license CPM's) is doing well, but still needs to go through some rounds...  If you are interested in helping on this issue Massachusetts Friends of Midwives is one group, and there is another, I think it is called Massachusetts Families for CPM's...

Go midwifery and access for all families!!!  joy.gif

#3 of 8 Old 01-21-2012, 04:36 AM

That's great, so that means RI'ers will have a lot midwive's to choose from if CNM's in MA start opening homebirth practices, if they are willing to travel.  

Christian SAHM & birth doula.
#4 of 8 Old 01-21-2012, 11:51 AM

Good question, but I think they would have to license in RI too, so I am not sure...

They say the more midwives means more mamas served...like the bumper sticker...A MIDWIFE FOR EVERY MAMA.  thumb.gif

#5 of 8 Old 01-22-2012, 02:43 PM

I think you're right Paige.  I have no idea how what's involved in getting licensed in different states, hopefully not a difficult process.  

Christian SAHM & birth doula.
#6 of 8 Old 01-23-2012, 11:43 AM

Yeah, and the other thing I thought of was that RI has had the ability as a cnm to do homebirths for 3 years now and no cnm from mass has done that yet...

#7 of 8 Old 01-31-2012, 07:44 PM

So...the big question (I would think for a lot of moms) is this going to change insurance?  I mean the insurance companies were claiming that they didn't cover homebirth b/c it couldn't be done with a licensed provider right?  So now it should be covered??? 

I hope so, I hope some CNMs set up homebirth practices ASAP!  Though in fairness, I don't even know if I'll be living in MA by the time I have another baby.

#8 of 8 Old 02-01-2012, 03:16 PM

I hope that will work too...  Anther reason many are supporting legislation to license CPM's too.     But, in truth, it is a lot more complicated then that, and even in states where midwives are licensed not all companies will cover it anyway.  The industry is terrible.  It is worth taking the time to sit down with whomever are the policy holders to see if they can, when writing the contract for coverage, include out of network midwives.  HMO's will never cover any hb provider because they are out of network.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page