Natural birth practitioners near Acton, MA- what are my options? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 5 Old 01-27-2012, 12:11 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Just found out we are moving to the Acton, MA area in the next month. I am 20 weeks along with my 2nd (1st born naturally at a hospital). I have amazing care here through WISDOM midwifery at GW Hospital, but I don't even know where to start looking in the greater Boston area. Heck, I don't even know what to call the area we are moving (it isn't metrowest is it? sort of north of that?)... I am lost. Will consider OBs who are natural birth friendly, midwives in a large birth center or hospital setting... and I have no idea how far I will end up traveling to get that care but maybe going into Boston isn't out of the question?

Thank you SO much for any and all advice, I am overwhelmed!

#2 of 5 Old 01-27-2012, 07:41 PM

Hey there! We are recent Acton residents as well- welcome!! I've done some research on birth options here- and there's actually a freestanding birth center less than an hour from here in NH- forget the name off the top of my head but a quick Google would locate it. There's also Cambridge Birth Center (but there's the high transfer rate to Cambridge Hospital across the street to consider.) 

Another thing to consider- I had my first at Newton-Wellesley Hospital, which isn't too far from Acton (though I was coming from the South Shore at the time!) with the midwives there, and it was a great experience- considering what I knew then. Now I would probably go for homebirth or shoot for the freestanding center in NH- but at least there are options!

Congrats and good luck!

#3 of 5 Old 01-30-2012, 03:55 AM - Thread Starter

Thanks for the advice! My midwives here just recommended NWH to, so although it may be a haul (we are getting further out towards Harvard/Ayer as we look at towns) I think it could work. As long as I make our prenatal roadtrips and adventure for the 2 year old, and have a plan for getting closer to the hospital in early labor so I'm not on the road right before transition (like last time!) it shouldn't be an issue. I've got a few months to make sure this will work. Thanks again!

#4 of 5 Old 04-16-2012, 08:35 PM

You might like the Birth Cottage in Milford, NH.  Not far from you, great birth center! 

#5 of 5 Old 04-22-2012, 04:01 PM

I just had a baby attended by one of the midwives at AFA OB/Gyn.  They operate out of Emerson Hospital.  Totally natural-birth friendly...I didn't even have a hep lock put in, was only checked for dilation at my request, etc.  I had my first child using a different practice group (but also at Emerson), and I know people who have used the other group, too.  Feel free to PM me if you have any questions at all about Emerson or the Acton area.

grateful mama to DD1, born before the robins came, 2010.  excited to welcome a little man into the world in early February 2012! kid.gif

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page