Public schools in the New Haven/Hamden/North Haven/Milford, Connecticut area -- are they REALLY as bad as all that? - Mothering Forums

View Poll Results: Would you send your kids to a public school in or around New Haven. CT?
No way. I'd sell a kidney and send my kid to a private school. 0 0%
The magnet schools or certain schools/communities are okay, but others are a definite NO. (Can you say which ones are "okay" in a reply, please?) 2 66.67%
Sure. I'd send my kid and not worry about it. 1 33.33%
I would homeschool because the public schools are terrible and the private schools are too expensive. 0 0%
Voters: 3. You may not vote on this poll

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 5 Old 03-27-2012, 10:54 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

My family is preparing to move to the New Haven area in the summer. My older son is starting kindergarten. I will be a student, my husband will be job hunting, and money will be tight. But we are still contemplating sending our kids to private school/preschool because of what we've heard about the area schools.

We have been warned away from most New Haven public schools, and even the ones in surrounding communities have gotten mixed reviews. Is public school really that bad? I am led to believe by the reports that it is a horrendous mix of unruly/dangerous students, teachers who have to teach to the NCLB standardized tests and neglect real learning, bad food, Code Red lockdowns and bullets flying in the streets, and smart kids being bored out of their skulls. Is this accurate? 

Doula, WOHM, wife to a super-fun papa, mama to the Monkey ('07), and his little brother, the Sea Monkey ('09).
#2 of 5 Old 03-29-2012, 07:16 AM

Hi There!  There is a world of difference between New Haven and the other towns you mentioned.  New Haven is an urban area with the problems normally associated.  Some of the magnet schools are OK but they pale in comparison to the regular suburban schools in the area.  The other towns are more suburban.  Hamden is more diverse ethnically and financially and the schools would be considered OK.  North Haven and Milford are more suburban with decent to good schools.  I wouldn't hesitate to send my kids to school in Milford, possibly North Haven or   Hamden.  New Haven falls into the sell a kidney category (and I only have one kidney!!)

#3 of 5 Old 04-15-2012, 02:36 PM

I agree totally- I would definitely avoid New Haven itself, but there are decent districts in the surrounding areas.  If you have done any online research as far as statistics, scores, and crime rates you already know this.  Your kids are young, so you have time to move around after you are acclimated to the area if necessary and get them into a better district by middle school/high school. 

Tina
Mom to two boys, 2002 and 2004 and a bouncing baby due in June, 2012!    autismribbon.gif               jumpers.gif

#4 of 5 Old 04-18-2012, 01:25 PM

We live in North Haven, and my kids are doing great in the public school system here.  My sister-in-law lives in New Haven, right on the border of east haven, and her little girl is in the public school there, and as far as I know is thriving.  On a side note, My SIL works as a teacher in Madison, and chooses to have her girl go to the public school in her neighborhood, so that says something right there.  It totally depends on the area of new haven that you are in.  Hamden is nice, so is Orange, and milford.  West Haven, I'd be careful of.  :)  Happy Hunting.

#5 of 5 Old 04-26-2012, 07:03 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)

A vote for New Haven schools, as they are often unfairly painted with the same brush: the charters, magnets and a few others (like Hooker) are good. 

http://lbdf.lilypie.com/2RSWm4.png

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page