Help with Religious Exemption letter for Kindergarten in MA - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 03-30-2012, 02:26 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

I'm getting ready to pass in my daughters forms for K and I want to make sure no one has any other suggestions other than writing the following:

xxxx School
xxxx Road
xxxx MA

To whom it may concern,

Our child, xxxxxxx , will be attending Kindergarten at the xxxxx School for the 2012-2013 school year. We are providing you with this statement in order to satisfy state immunization requirements:

We are exempting our daughter from the administration of immunizations because it conflicts with our families sincerely held religious beliefs.

Thank you,

Code of Massachusetts Regulations
105 CMR 220.500 (2007): Immunization Requirements for Preschool, Elementary, Middle and High School Students
(C)   The requirements in 105 CMR 220.500 (A) and (B) shall not apply:  
(1) upon presentation of written documentation that the student meets the standards for
medical or religious exemption set forth in M.G.L. c. 76, § 15;  

Is that all people write??? Anything else??Thank you in advance!! So stressed about this!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-30-2012, 03:56 PM

I don't know if RI is different but I am in a similar situation with registering my daughter for kindergarten.  I called the school and went an picked up a form that I have to fill out for the religious exemption, so you might have to get a form also.   It asks you what vaccines you are not getting.  From what I've been told they want to know what your child is not vaccinated against so if there is an outbreak of something they will be unable to attend school for some period of time.  

Old 03-30-2012, 09:18 PM

Doing much the same, and have used pretty much the same for schools and camps.  I don't see anything else much to add.   

Jessica

Jessica..lady.gifintactlact.gif Falling in love all over again..... 
Dhprivateeyes.gif, Joshua rolleyes.gif Rebeccagrouphug.gifand dog2.gif.    candle.gif for Laura
Old 08-09-2012, 06:42 AM

Hello massmamaoftwo,

Just saw your post - did you have any issues with the school accepting this letter?  I am so stressed too - my kids will be in kindergarten next year (2013) and I am worried that schools are going to give us a hard time.  Did  you need a letter from your church as well?  I have been reading that sometimes schools ask for this.  Did your girls go to preschool?  Please let me know if that is the exact letter you used or if you had to add anything else?  I am so happy to see your post and looking forward to hearing the outcome.

Thanks!

~mom of twins (in massachusetts)

Old 08-09-2012, 10:59 AM

I've had no problems.  My kids have gone to public school, one a private k, private preschools, and public and private afterschool programs, camps, etc.

You do not need a letter from a church and should not be questioned about your religion, when handing this in.  Not everyone goes to churches, anyways and an individual's particular religious belief is pretty private.  I would stick to, 'this is the information I am submitting' and politely avoid any specific conversation if asked.  My dh and I have different religious backgrounds, and even though that doesn't weigh entirely into this decision, I'd prefer to just grin and say, "it's complicated" and end the conversation than answer any questions.  I've NEVER been asked about religion, though. 

Jessica

Jessica..lady.gifintactlact.gif Falling in love all over again..... 
Dhprivateeyes.gif, Joshua rolleyes.gif Rebeccagrouphug.gifand dog2.gif.    candle.gif for Laura
Old 09-06-2012, 06:47 AM

thanks jessica!
Old 09-07-2012, 09:17 PM

Hello Ladies,

Figure I should chime in, as I have recent experience with exemptions. I am a CT resident, so there may be differences, although, I know that the states in our region all allow for the 2 most common vaccination exemptions, religious and medical. In the state of CT, a parent can visit the State of CT website to download the exemption form. The parents are required to sign and date the form, This is provided in lieu of the standard list of vaccinations. In the event that a parent is choosing the "religious exemption", the facility (school or daycare) must accept the form, and nothing else, in regards to vaccinations. A child who is entering kindergarten must complete a physical examination, performed by a physician. During the physical, the parent should note that they will be providing an exemption form, in lieu of "proof of exemptions". The doctor will check and sign that the child is exempt.

I experienced some resistance from a public school recently in regards to the exemption form. I was told by the nurse staff that I would need to have the doctor sign the physical examination form, in addition to the signature he had already provided, in order to confirm the exemption. It is my understanding, that I had provided all that is legally required by the state, and essentially the school board as well. I believe the members of the faculty who told me otherwise, to be misinformed. I encourage you to be informed about the state requirements, as often times, the individuals who you face in a public facility may not actually know the requirements. As parents who do not vaccinate, we are the minority, and we present an issue that the school faculty may not deal with regularly.

Hope this helps you, if you haven't already dealt with the matter, I know school has already begun.

Best~

Serenity Mama Earth

Old 09-09-2012, 08:35 AM

Thank you for the advice...that is my concern about being int the minority. i am a teacher myself and know what i could run into as far as people not understanding this exemption. i just want to be completely prepared with a statement to support our decision. i have learned more from parents like you than from doctors or research on the internet. i believe more parents would be going this route if they were not bullied into believing their children could not attend school without vaccines....thank you again for the tips!!

User Tag List