Mothering Forum banner

HB midwife for twins in CT? Or recommend your favorite hospital midwife? (New Haven area)

1K views 2 replies 3 participants last post by  sg784 
#1 ·
So, I was originally planning on having a HB with Birth and Beyond until we discovered we were having twins and were risked out. As of right now we are working with Center for Women's Health at St. Raphael's. It is a group of 5 midwives and 2 MDs. We chose it because it was one of only 2 practices I came across in the area that always have a midwife on call. The other group was associated with Yale which with my experience as a doula is not my favorite hospital.

I worked with a very small fertility clinic and B&B is such a small practice I was used to very individualized attention and now we are just a #. No one knows me and dealing with the phone system at St. Raes and the multiple offices is a PITA. I had to go to the office Thursday as an emergency and they were unable to get my chart because it was in another office that is closed on Thursdays. They also are treating me as high risk and I have been referred to maternal-fetal medicine at Yale for monitoring. I just can't help but feel all of this is overkill and that I can still have the peaceful pregnancy and birth I want, that I am just looking in the wrong places.

St. Raphael birth center is beautiful and I love that they do all the testing/bathing/measuring of the baby in your room and that unless you ask otherwise the baby rooms in with you. I also really like that the NICU is on the same floor as the maternity ward. However right now I am struggling with the lack of availability of tubs, the fact that they require 3rd stage of labor/pushing to be in an OR for multiples and the options the midwives have offered me in the case of an emergency csection (either general labor or a preemptive epidural catheter placement - neither really an acceptable option for me).

I just feel like there is someone out there for me (either HB or hospital) that is going to give me a better chance at what I am looking for. I am open to any suggestions.... thanks!

See less See more
#2 ·
Well, the only hospital practice I can think of that may be worth a call in that area is Circle for Life Midwifery. It's a new practice made up of two very seasoned midwives, Paula Cate and Sarah Najamy. They deliver at St. Vincent's, I think. I'm not sure about whether or not they will take twin births, but it's worth asking at least!

As far as homebirth midwives go... well, there are several CPMs practicing in CT right now. Joni Stone is in the New Haven area and is fabulous. Honestly though, I am not sure if any of the homebirth midwives would take a first time mom with twins. Again, it's worth asking... but may be a serious long shot. I know a lot of homebirthing families and a fair amount of twin families as well... and have only met one that attempted a twin homebirth (first baby born at home, second at hospital). It was her third birth though, second homebirth. Nancy Farr and Kim Cash were her midwives.

I hope you are able to find a care provider and birthing place that you feel comfortable with! It may be hard, but it will be worth it in the end as you already know!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.