Recommend your doctor, OB, midwife/doula! - Worcester/Marlborough area - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 6 Old 04-28-2012, 02:22 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Hi everyone,

This is my first post so thank you in advance for your suggestions!  I have so many questions, and would love to hear responses to any or all! =)

My husband and I are new to the area - we currently live in Marlborough, MA - and are thinking about buying a house in the area.  We are thinking about towns around Marlborough and west to Worcester.  I would appreciate your suggestions for a primary care doctor and/or OB!

Also - I would love to hear your experiences at hospitals in the area (Marlborough Hosp, UMass, St Vincent, etc) regarding child birth (we are going to start planning a fam very soon).  I am thinking about having a natural birth and am curious as to whether one hospital is better for that option.  If you didn't give birth in a hospital, where did you?  Home, birthing center?  Can anyone also recommend a midwife or doula?

Thanks again!

#2 of 6 Old 04-29-2012, 08:00 AM

Hello there! I gave birth twice at St. Vincents and overall was very happy there. Both were planned natural births, but the first time I had an emergency c-section when they discovered my baby was breech. They don't give you a choice at that point. The care I received was wonderful. Second baby was a VBAC with the midwives through Fallon Clinic. I was very happy, especially with Louisa.  Again, I received wonderful care. The pedi on staff that visited me to try to get me to vaccinate was an ASS but I won't hold that against them.

BTW, this was 8 and 6 years ago....who knows what it is like now.

Best of luck....

#3 of 6 Old 05-02-2012, 10:44 AM

Hi
We live in the Worcester area and are very familiar with the hospitals around here.
With our first son (now, almost 18 months) we wanted a natural birth and the only 2 birthing centers around here are in Bervely, MA or Cambridge, MA (both are 1 hr away). We delivered our son at Beverly Hospital. We weren't able to deliver him at the Birth Center because my blood pressure was a bit high. I totally recommend Beverly Birth Center but you need to be a perfect candidate for it. Our next baby we might go with Cambridge Birth Center to try them out.
We currently see Dr. Manning at UMASS and he's THE BEST!!! I was always very anal about having a female Dr, but last year after having a complicated pregnancy w/ twins (RIP) Dr. Manning treated me and was very sweet and very caring thought the whole process! Unfortunately if we do get pregnant we will not be delivering with him since we want a natural birth.
Best of luck!!!
#4 of 6 Old 06-04-2012, 04:33 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks for your replies!

#5 of 6 Old 06-06-2012, 09:51 AM

I live in Marlborough. My first daughter I had at the Cambridge Birth Center. I liked Ellen Lapowsky, my midwife for almost all my office visits, but you get whoever is on call when you get there in labor and I didn't have a good experience with the person that was there when I got there. I like their prenatal care, but wished that they had offered more input on getting my birth going naturally instead of just letting me sit in the tub for 6 hours getting so dehydrated that I needed 3 bags of fluid.  I ended up with every intervention you could aside from forceps and was eventually delivered via c-section at Cambridge Hospital across the street.

This time I am doing a home birth with Alexis Topham. She's fantastic. I would highly recommend her. :)

#6 of 6 Old 06-26-2012, 06:55 PM

I know this is coming to you late in the game, but with 4 kiddos I don't get much of a chance to sit and look through this!  I am a homebirth midwife and a birth doula and I have lived in this area all of my life.  I would be happy to talk with you about the different hospitals in the Worcester area and what your choices are as well as the many different midwives I know.  I am familiar with many of the towns around here also, although it's hard to make a recomendation without knowing what it is you are looking for.  If you would like to contact me offline, I can be reached through my website www.naturalwondersbirthing.com.

Good luck with your choices - lots of fun decisions coming up!

Kim :)

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page