Cooley Dickinson vs. Baystate Franklin - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 3 Old 05-24-2012, 05:06 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

After having a less-than-positive experience with how the OB at Womancare Hadley treated me after my miscarriage, I am thinking about seeing a midwife for my next pregnancy. I want a hospital birth, so I have been looking at the midwife practices at Cooley Dickinson and Baystate Franklin hospitals. Does anyone have any experiences with either of those practices that they could share? I live a little bit closer to Greenfield, so I'm inclined to go there, but would love to know what people think.

My primary care is through UMass health services (I'm a grad student), which has been great.

#2 of 3 Old 05-27-2012, 08:20 AM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)

I can only respond to the Baystate Franklin experience - I had my daughter there in 2011. I found the nursing staff to be mostly great (about 90% of them). My stay was brief - less than 24 hrs. The nurses were knowledgeable and honored all of my wishes - they listened.

I went through Pioneer Womens - it is midwives and OBs - they may be the only group that has privileges there ?? Not sure.

My struggle with this practice group is that they do a call rotation so you don't know who (from within their group) will be on-call for midwifery and help to deliver your baby. I did not care for this myself. My suggestion is to be sure you meet everyone in the practice (of the midwives anyway).

I also hired a doula - can't say enough good things about her. 

You could PM me if you have more specific questions

Good luck with your decision making!

Breastfeeding, babywearing, homeschooling momma to two. 223/2014 items in decluttering challenge (643 items gone last year 2013, 625 gone in 2012)
#3 of 3 Old 06-13-2012, 03:00 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Hi there,

I am a doula and work at all the local hospitals, and had both of my own babies at Franklin ('07 and '09). Speaking for myself, I absolutely love the nurse midwives and the birthing care at Franklin. Its really second to none. They are actually traveling around the country talking about their Listening To Newborns initiative. I have not done as many doula births at Cooley as I have at Franklin, but if you choose to stay at Cooley you should definitely go check out the midwives (they are in the little yellow house across the parking lot from the main entrance).

I am more than happy to share my impressions with you if you think that would be helpful. I'll post all my info below. Good luck!

Marissa Potter

http://www.Facebook.com/BellyfullBirth

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page