Looking for a new ob/gyn or midwife practice south shore/upper cape area. - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 9 Old 05-31-2012, 08:49 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Hi, I am pregnant with baby #3 and am looking for a new practice. I'm planning a UC, but want a back up ob or midwife. I'm currently in south plymouth. I'm looking for a more natural minded practice that will let me decline tests and whatnot. I was with South shore womens health for my last 2 pregnancies and they were ok. I've also had 1 c/s and 1 vbac. Thanks for any recommendations!

Erika Dh Russell 6/4/04, Shealeigh Rose 12/12/04, Devlin Russell 2/9/10
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 9 Old 06-01-2012, 06:53 AM

Definitely check out Jordan OB/GYN and Midwifery or Wareham Nurse Midwives.  Jordan is the midwives formerly at South Shore Midwifery and they now are at Jordan hospital.

Louise at Wareham is simply amazing.

I have to run- but you can probably find more searching around here-- I used SSWH for my first birth and wish I had hired a doula or been with a different midwife.  I've heard many good things about Jordan (and use them for well-woman care) and I absolutely had an amazing natural birth with Louise.

Jessica

PS You should also check out South Shore AP group http://groups.yahoo.com/group/SouthShoreAP/ and the Holistic Moms Chapter (we will be having events in Plymouth and Kingston)  www.facebook.com/HMNSShoreMA

Jessica..lady.gifintactlact.gif Falling in love all over again..... 
Dhprivateeyes.gif, Joshua rolleyes.gif Rebeccagrouphug.gifand dog2.gif.    candle.gif for Laura
#3 of 9 Old 06-08-2012, 02:51 PM

I also recommend Louise at Wareham Nurse Midwives.  I am very close to South Plymouth (just on the Bourne side of Cedarville) and she is very easy to get to.  She delivered DD a month ago and I had the best experience with her.  Not only was my birth experience wonderful, but every appointment with her was great.  She made me and my husband feel totally comfortable about everything that was going on and took her time with us at each and every appointment.  I don't think that she would force any testing on you if you didn't want it.  I know she does well woman care, too.  I can't help but sing her praises!  Good luck!

#4 of 9 Old 06-12-2012, 09:50 AM - Thread Starter

I would love to check out Louise, but are VBACs still banned at Tobey? Does she deliver anywhere else? Also, I would hate to use her for prenatal care and then have the baby at home. I've made an appointment with Jordan midwifery, we'll see how that goes. I have to attend a Welcome Group, which I feel is totally uneccessary and am dreading going. Anyway, thanks for the advice! I definitely feel like birthing providers are extremely limited in this area, which is really discouraging.

#5 of 9 Old 06-12-2012, 02:54 PM

Oh, be sure to give them feedback about the groups.  It's a new program and it's gotten some positive feedback...  I hope it turns out better than you expect.

As far as I know, Tobey is still not allowing VBAC's, but the more people that call and tell them they would consider them if they did them the more likely they might start doing them.  Jordan is now doing VBACS (called TOLAC- Trial of Labor After Cesarean) so maybe the pressure of a competitor doing them may also help?  

I only see Jordan Midwifery for well-woman care but they have been wonderful and never seem rushed.

Jessica

Jessica..lady.gifintactlact.gif Falling in love all over again..... 
Dhprivateeyes.gif, Joshua rolleyes.gif Rebeccagrouphug.gifand dog2.gif.    candle.gif for Laura
#6 of 9 Old 06-14-2012, 08:18 AM - Thread Starter

I wouldn't mind the welcome group so much if they did it after they confirmed the pregnancy. What if there's an empty sac or anything else wrong? I've also had some very slight spotting, so I wonder if they will see me earlier without the welcome group.

#7 of 9 Old 06-29-2012, 02:02 PM

What is this welcome group you're talking about at Jordan?  I see the midwives there.  Just curious!

#8 of 9 Old 07-16-2012, 05:32 PM - Thread Starter

When I called, they said I had to attend a "Welcome group". Where they talk about nutrition and stuff I guess. I still haven't gone yet. I have to reschedule. Do you like it there?

#9 of 9 Old 09-13-2012, 05:34 AM

I know I'm coming to this thread pretty late but I thought I'd chime in on the welcome appointment in case anyone else finds this the way I did (searching reviews online). I had my welcome appt last week and it was surprisingly nice. They'll take your blood pressure, weigh you, and you'll meet with a midwife privately to ask any questions or raise any private concerns you have (for example, we asked about generic testing). Then you'll sit in a group with other women (and significant others if they choose to come) who are about as far along as you are. There they'll explain their practice and your options for care (centering, traditional care, ob, midwife, etc.). They'll also go over a lot of pregnancy dos and don'ts, answer questions about vitamins, OTC meds, exercise, and nutrition. It's nice because it gets you a lot more time to ask questions than you would have if you met a CNM or OB one on one. My appt lasted about 90 min and I got the benefit of hearing questions from other women and SOs I wouldn't have thought to ask.

As a side note, I had spotting two weeks before that appt so I called and they saw me right away for an ultrasound. Otherwise though neither Jordan nor my primary did anything to confirm pregnancy which surprised me.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page