Looking for ob gyn/midwife in Lowell/Chelmsford area - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 7 Old 06-07-2012, 10:07 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Hi all! I'm 8 weeks preggo and don't have an ob here in MA yet (my last pregnancy was in NJ). I'm looking for someone I can get a first few prenatal appointments with before I make my decision regarding CNM vs CPM this time around. I called an ob practice in North Chelmsford, they told me a few things that made my jaw drop. First, that my first appointment with them would take 90 minutes. 90 minutes! They MUST know that a new prenatal client is likely shopping around before settling on a permanent doctor, why would they have a 90 minute intake? I have a 2 year old, I don't have that kind of time to be twiddling my thumbs in a doctor's office. Second, that my first ultrasound would not happen for several weeks. I'm at 8 weeks...exactly when were they thinkin' they'd get around to a first ultrasound?

Clearly, I did not make an appointment with them. does anyone know of a good ob I can go to for a quick confirmation appointment and ultrasound? It's not like I haven't been through this pregnancy thing before... :-)

Also, if anyone has any good midwife/birth center recommendations please let me know! I'm thinking I might prefer a waterbirth like last time, are there any hospital birthing centers around you might recommend with great birthing tubs?

Thanks!

Pre-natal massage therapist, infant massage instructor and mommy to Jeremiah, due April 2010
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 7 Old 06-07-2012, 10:39 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)

first of all, welcome to MA!

I cannot offer any personal experience at this point but have been looking at birthing centers as we TTC. Most hospitals in eastern MA do not offer water birth but some have tubs available to use in the earlier stages of labor.

two of my good friends have had very positive experiences at Lowell General, including one who chose no drugs which was completely fine, no questions from the staff or her OB. Personally I am looking at Emerson Hospital in Concord and Newton-Wellesley. I know Lowell and N-W have labor tubs, not sure about Emerson.

Good luck to you as you find the right fit.

K and B, happily married partners.gif since 2005 and proud parents of one rambunctious C-monster babyf.gif
#3 of 7 Old 06-07-2012, 11:49 AM - Thread Starter

Thank you! Today I have been looking at my water birth options...seems like the North Shore birth center and Cambridge birth center are my best options, especially if I want to be close to a hospital in case of emergency (it will be winter, after all...the closer the better!) Of course neither of them are particularly close to our house, but they're both well within an hour. Which I guess will mostly just be a matter of not waiting till my contractions are already coming fast and furious like last time! :-) I think once I get into the second trimester we'll go take a tour of each and see what we think! Good luck to you TTC!

Pre-natal massage therapist, infant massage instructor and mommy to Jeremiah, due April 2010
#4 of 7 Old 06-08-2012, 11:51 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)

Thanks for the info. Glad you found some places where you can have the experience you want and an emergency out!

K and B, happily married partners.gif since 2005 and proud parents of one rambunctious C-monster babyf.gif
#5 of 7 Old 06-12-2012, 08:44 AM

I live in Bradford and I went to a really nice place out in Salem, NH for my first US. I called freaking out the same day of my pregnancy test (I was only four weeks) and they got me in THAT DAY for an US and an intake. I took my daughters, 3 and 4 along with me and they were all (the staff) really great. The OB is Dr. Edwards and he was really upbeat and optimistic. He works with three midwives and delivers at Holy Family Hospital in Methuen, MA. I'm not sure if I'll actually use him or not, but I got a really good feeling going to my appointment that day. Good luck!

#6 of 7 Old 07-03-2012, 08:17 AM

Just FYI that Holy Family does have the highest c-section rate in the state, at 39%.  I'd love to know more about your OB and Midwives there, it would be nice to hear more positive information about that hospital.  Could you tell me anything about the rate of natural births that they do?  Are the midwives with Holy Family 

Re. Birth Centers -- There are two AWESOME birth centers in southern NH.  One is the Birth Cottage in Milford, NH, the other is the Coastal Family Birth Retreat in Stratham(?).  They have really great outcomes and are both freestanding but with great relationships to nearby hospitals.  I didn't catch where you're located, but those places are really phenomenal especially if you're looking at a birth center, much fewer transfers and inductions than Beverly or Cambridge

#7 of 7 Old 07-03-2012, 09:19 AM - Thread Starter

Thanks for the info! I had called the Birth Cottage last month but the chances that my insurance would cover most of their care is very slim (darn Massachusetts), and I just don't have the organizational skills to fight with them (I know I'd put up a good show at first, but my ADD brain can't keep up with all the paperwork!) We checked out the Cambridge birth center last night and I liked it, but I definitely am also going to the North Shore open house later this month, as I've heard they have a lower transfer rate (and the possibility of non-emergency admission to the hospital after the birth, in case I don't feel ready to go home right away, is a plus. I went home only 24 hours after my son was born and when I got there I desperately wanted to go back to the hospital! Lol)

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page