looking for a nurse midwife who delivers at Manchester birthing center - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 6 Old 06-07-2012, 11:32 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

I toured MMH's birthing center and really loved it.  Does anyone have any recent (past year) experience with nurse midwife practitioner groups that deliver there?  This is my first pregnancy and I want a natural birthing experience with someone gentle, calm, warm and experienced.  I have read reviews of Manchester Ob/Gyn Associates and Ob/Gyn Group of Eastern CT - and they (the reviews) are quite bad but I don't know if I can trust them as they are a bit outdated (circa 2009/10).  I am about 10 weeks along and haven't had my first appt. yet.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 6 Old 06-12-2012, 03:57 PM

Bumping, bumping - I'm curious, too!

#3 of 6 Old 06-22-2012, 12:49 PM

My husband and I also toured there and LOVED it, but I've also not been able to decide which practice to go with.  I've called both and can't decide if either one is better than the other.  There seem to be similar complaints about both and in asking them multiple questions, I couldn't really find any differences between them. HELP!?!??!

#4 of 6 Old 06-23-2012, 07:47 AM

A friend used Ob/Gyn of E. CT last year and had a great experience.  They handled a slight shoulder dystocia really well without freaking out.  A  lot of women on another board I frequent are happy with them as well.  I have also heard good things about Woodland Midwifery out of St. Francis- the hospital is not really known to be natural-birth friendly but I have heard some good stories about this all-midwife practice. 

#5 of 6 Old 11-09-2012, 01:49 PM - Thread Starter

Just wanted to update - I ended up switching to St. Francis Hospital to birth as I really couldn't find a practice I could relax into that had privileges at MMH.  My practitioner is Dr. Ursula Steadman and I highly, highly recommend her.  She is down-to-earth, non alarmist, definitely has her patients' best interests at heart and is generally simply a kind, receptive, and pleasant practitioner to interact with. - She  delivers practically all of her patients - so you don't really have to see anyone else but her and you get a chance to build some semblance of a relationship which -  let's face it, when this person is going to be at least wrist deep in your nether region, is not such a terrible thing!   As for St. Francis, they are in the final stages of becoming accredited as the 5th Baby Friendly Hospital in the state - a process which is no small feat!  Additionally I found the overall feel of the maternity wing really warm and not too sterile feeling which is something I (as a person who initially wanted to have a home birth) found really appealing.  I just wanted to share with other expecting moms - I had a really hard time finding any info about St. Francis prior to my learning about them first hand.  I will update again once baby comes!

#6 of 6 Old 11-10-2012, 11:13 AM

We haven't had our delivery yet, but ended up choosing OB Group of Eastern CT frankly because the receptionist I spoke with when trying to decide was nicer than elsewhere.  We aren't due for another 7 weeks but I've been very happy with the care there, the pregnancy classes the hospital offers, and the environment and nursing staff at MMH (had to go for a Rhogam shot).  I'm hoping the delivery goes well, but so far I'd give MMH/OB of Eastern CT a 9 out of 10.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page