Not just politely lesbian-friendly midwife/OB in SE Mass? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 07-20-2012, 02:29 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Hi all. Sadly we're not pregnant yet, but I'm trying to find a midwife or OB in Plymouth or Bristol Counties who will be very supportive, not just politely lesbian-friendly, for when we finally do need one. We did a tour of the labor unit at Jordan, and we asked this question, and the woman was very nice but didn't really know the answer.

I post a lot on the Queer Conceptions forum, but none of those women are local.

babyf.gif... due in late June.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-20-2012, 04:11 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 56 Post(s)
Is there a reason why not your current midwife?

I'm on my phone right now, which is awful for looking up names. There's a midwife near me - Audra something? - who is lesbian, and fairly active in state midwifery organizations. She's probably too much of a trek for you, but she'd be well placed to point you at midwives in your area who'd be likely to be more than just polite. If no one beats me to it, I'll look up her details for you tonight when I get home.
Old 07-23-2012, 12:00 PM - Thread Starter

MeepyCat - Thanks. I'd love those details if you can find them. The reason I wasn't planning on going with my current midwifery practice is that they are north of Boston (about 70 minutes away in traffic), and I'd like something closer to home when we get pregnant. We went to that practice for inseminations because they were close to the sperm bank and we knew they were gay friendly.

Old 07-24-2012, 07:06 AM

i second audra karp.  she was our midwife for both of our girls!

mama to cecilia and rosa with 1 old:
Old 07-24-2012, 09:40 AM - Thread Starter

Thank you. Maybe she can suggest someone a little farther south.

Old 07-24-2012, 12:48 PM

she definitely travels.  she is only in JP/Roxbury.  i would check in with her.  she works with paige dickenson eastman alot and we had paige as our second attending with our youngest dd.  good luck mama! 

ps (if you ever want to come to marshfield and visit and play, we live in a great lil spot!)

Old 07-24-2012, 03:16 PM - Thread Starter

Thank you so much for the invite! Now if we could only get pregnant already! Jeesh.

I Googled Audra's name and found a practice where she apparently works or worked, and it looks like they only deal with homebirths. Do you know if that's true for her? I haven't decided what my birth plan is. Do you know what the protocol is for independent midwives attending a birth center or hospital birth? Is that generally allowed if the hospital doesn't have a relationship with her?

Old 08-01-2012, 07:29 PM

hummmm, that i don't know.  yes, she does do only homebirths, but you may be able to use her as a doula.  i would def check in with her.  she would set you on the right track. good luck.  full moon is here!

Old 08-03-2012, 05:36 PM

Audra Karp and Tara Kenny were my midwives for both of my son's births.  They are both CPMs, which means that they only do home births.  If you want to go that route, I cannot recommend them highly enough.  Please PM me with any questions, I would be more than happy to discuss my experiences with you.  Good luck!

Proud mommy to DS 10/27/09, and two crazy fur babies, married to my superman, and loving this mommy thing! No circ, no vaxes, veg, and making up the rest as I go along
Old 08-03-2012, 09:22 PM

Hi, I think Jordan OB/Midwifery would be a good practice to check out.  I know most of the midwives and would be surprised if they were anything but wonderful with everyone, but I don't know of specific examples.  The homebirth midwives may also be able to steer you in the right direction for midwives/ob's-- or away from certain ones.  Paige Eastman is such a wonderful local resource for the birth community to  - Jessica Petrone (works with Sarafina (forgetting her last name)) are also lovely local homebirth midwives..

If you are on the South Shore, you could ask other families on this local resource/parenting group:  http://groups.yahoo.com/group/SouthShoreAP/

Jessica

Jessica..lady.gifintactlact.gif Falling in love all over again..... 
Dhprivateeyes.gif, Joshua rolleyes.gif Rebeccagrouphug.gifand dog2.gif.    candle.gif for Laura

User Tag List