Looking for a Doula & Birth Center info in CT - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 7 Old 07-31-2012, 07:54 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Hi,

I'm new to this forum and I live in the New Haven county. I'm pregnant with my 4th child and

am very interested in experiencing a natural birth, but I would like to find a doula for extra support

and a birth center.

Unfortunately, I read some horror stories on line about the unsafeness of home births, not that I

would be comfortable going that route completely, but I am wondering if birthing centers are much safer?

If you have used one what was your experience?

Anyway, I would like to find an affordable doula, a Christian doula would be wonderful but isn't necessary

as long as it were someone who would be respectful of my beliefs.

Also, kind of off topic lol, but with my last pregnancies I was positive for GBS, would this rule

me out of using a birthing center? Would I be able to have a waterbirth and be treated should I

have a positive GBS result this time around?

Thanks for any input, recommendations, etc!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 7 Old 08-01-2012, 10:20 AM

Hi!  We only have one freestanding birth center in CT, and it is located in Danbury.  From what I understand, it's located right across the street from Danbury Hospital.  The midwives at the birth center have admitting privileges there too, so if you need to be transferred to the hospital during labor it is a smooth transition.  You would have to contact them directly to see if you would be eligible to birth there though, they generally only take low risk clients; not sure if they can handle GBS+ there with IV antibiotics or not.  But more than likely a GBS+ status will risk you out of a waterbirth.

I know several people who have used the Dabury birth center and they were all very happy with the care they received there.  A couple drove almost an hour to use the birth center, so that in itself is saying something!

As far as doulas go, there are many independent doulas working in CT.  There is also Birth Partners, which is a comprehensive practice that has childbirth educators, birth doulas, and post-partum doulas, etc. working for them; they will "match" you with a doula based on your wants/needs.  So they are probably worth a call at least, to see if they have anyone that may mesh with what you are looking for.

Hope that helps... congrats on your pregnancy and good luck in your search! 

*mama to c 2/2000, v 2/2004, p 9/2006, and h 12/2012*

one of the mamas behind BeanTreeBaby.com ...Gear for Growing Families!

#3 of 7 Old 08-01-2012, 11:43 AM

Just wanted to say good luck to you!  If you need any doula information, feel free to contact me.  Having a hospital birth with a doula is a good alternative if you want a natural birth but are not comfortable choosing a home birth.  I also wanted to let you know that if you decide to try the home birth route, you could check out the midwives at Birth & Beyond in Madison.  I believe they have a pretty good relationship with Middlesex Hospital and that's where they usually transfer patients to if necessary.

Footprints Doula Services

Mama to Oliver 12.22.07 & Lucille 7.14.10

#4 of 7 Old 08-03-2012, 02:40 PM

The birth center in Danbury is accredited by the nationally-recognized accrediting agency the Commission on Accreditation of Birth Centers (CABC).  Google it to learn more about accreditation of birth centers.  It has been open since 1997 and has an excellent reputation for safety and client satisfaction.  Its website is www.ctbirthcenter.com.  If you want a doula in addition to the midwives at the birth center, they will be able to help you find a doula.  

#5 of 7 Old 08-07-2012, 03:34 PM - Thread Starter

Thank you ladies!

#6 of 7 Old 09-18-2012, 07:38 PM

hope you are having luck with your search. I wanted to also mention Laurie Sweet. She is a doula in New haven area.

#7 of 7 Old 09-23-2012, 07:48 PM

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page